Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Old Green Day Albums

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I saw their old albums like dookie and imsomniac in asdas for a fiver each, Iv'e got American idiot and International superhits is it worth getting the forementioned cds?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hell yes. Insomniac was their last good cd (or did dookie come out later) either way those two are good as well as the two before. If you can find 1039 i'd be so jelous i can never find it :(
  • Options
    dookie came out after 1039 before insom.
  • Options
    Definitely worth it :thumb:
  • Options
    Kerplunk and Insomniac are bar far my favourite Green Day albums.

1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is ace too, its not rare though, i got mine from hmv, and you can get it off Amazon for £8 (cheaper if you use the marketplace for new ones (which i recommend)).

there are sooooo many ace tracks that aren't on superhits, it is well worth buying the albums
  • Options
    Get Nimrod as well.
  • Options
    YEAH I forgot to mention nimrod
  • Options
    YEAH I forgot to mention nimrod

boo. Nimrod is only alright. And they only go downhill from there.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    And they only go downhill from there.

Liar, liar bum's on fire :p

Newer stuff is still good too, in a different way (IN MY OPINION, nit pickers) ;)
  • Options
    nimrod is AWESOME. dookie insomniac and kerplunk all great buys, but expect completly different style of music on each. i love 1039 but it can take a bit of listening to if you're used to the newer style of stuff
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Liar, liar bum's on fire :p

Newer stuff is still good too, in a different way (IN MY OPINION, nit pickers) ;)

You do have a point. New stuff is decent. But not in my classic look on Green Day. Decent music, not decent green day if that makes sense :p
  • Options
    Makes perfect sense, O Wise One. :thumb:
  • Options
    buy nimrod just for hitchin' a ride :p

I don't like american idiot much, they did what the record company told them i think :)
  • Options
    American Idiot is pish marketed political shite. Nothing like the Greenday of old.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    buy nimrod just for hitchin' a ride :p
    FUCK YES. :heart: Hitchin' a Ride.

Insomniac, tbh. It's the first Green Day CD I owned (as well as the first rock CD I owned, way back when), and I still fucking love it.

I still need to buy 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, and also Warning. Warning, purely because...er...live version of 86. (nothing to do with wanting all the albums...).
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    American Idiot is pish marketed political shite. Nothing like the Greenday of old.

So the lyrics have changed from my girlfriend beats me to the government beats me. They may not be the next DK, but they certintaly aren't Sum41 or something equally as bad.

*goes to webster up "pish"

Edit: I have broadened my vocabulary today
    Main Entry: pish
    Pronunciation: 'pish
    Function: interjection
    -- used to express disdain or contempt
  • Options
    addicted7, can I respectfully say "bollocks" to your last post :p

I think people who say "oh they didn't put out anything worth listening to since Nimrod" (and last time we had a GreenDay thread, plenty of them came out of the woodwork!) are missing the point as they try oh-so-hard to appear like they were on the bandwagon from day dot...a lot of them, anyway (I can accept that some people just don't like their newer work).

They've diversified a lot over the years and of course some people aren't going to like that, some people find change difficult to accept. But when they began they were turning out generic poppy "punk-rock" songs that had no potential to offend (or inspire young people - something I like about their newer material especially). Don't even get me started on their punky-boyband "look" back in the day.

Now they're putting out politically charged, socially in-touch songs (dare I say, "anthems"?) that have the potential to seriously offend people on the far right of U.S politics (always a good thing!) and those rabid patriots we [all?] know and loathe. How can you call that "shite?" :(
  • Options
    I won't claim I liked them from the start... the first greenday song i heard was minority I think and went from there ... Just saying I dont like the new album, it's a new style going for money instead of depth in the music imo
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Just saying I dont like the new album, it's a new style going for money instead of depth in the music imo

Agreed.

It's a bit of a sell-out just. I liked the whole pop-punk carefree thing about Greenday of old. Fair enough, these days they might be trying to get some message across but I don't buy it for a second. Marketing wise, they're genius, as they will make a fortune but music wise it just doesn't wash with me I'm afraid.

And I never claimed to be on some band wagon. I used to listen to them and have a few albums, but I'm not hardcore. They should have stuck to what they were admired for, but I understand that with their new 'attitude' they're gonna attract many new fans and therefore money. I don't think we can put the change down to diversifying their style or developing their music. They're Greenday, not Radiohead.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Old Greenday = better.

Kerplunk. :D
  • Options
    They are also like 15 years older when they made the good stuff. I could only assume that once you hit the nice ol age of 40 or whatever that they would change abit. I'm sure what they have to write about has changed as well as their stage performance which in turns effects the sound.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    They are also like 15 years older when they made the good stuff. I could only assume that once you hit the nice ol age of 40 or whatever that they would change abit. I'm sure what they have to write about has changed as well as their stage performance which in turns effects the sound.

True... I suppose they lost than teenage attitude towards things.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True... I suppose they lost than teenage attitude towards things.

Can you really be taken seriously singing about moving out of your parents house into a crummy neighborhood or that you dont know what it takes to be a man when your over the hill :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Can you really be taken seriously singing about moving out of your parents house into a crummy neighborhood or that you dont know what it takes to be a man when your over the hill :p

Well... when you think what some sucessful bands sing about... It wouldn't supprise me.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    They should have stuck to what they were admired for, but I understand that with their new 'attitude' they're gonna attract many new fans and therefore money. I don't think we can put the change down to diversifying their style or developing their music.

They're Greenday, not Radiohead.

I'm not even a big Greenday fan, yet I always find myself defending them. The things people come out with just piss me off.

As far as "sticking to what they're admired for", these supposedly admiring fans are the ones who swiftly lost interest after Nimrod dropped them because they were diversifying back then (or selling out, depending on your opinion). If I was a member of Greenday I wouldn't give a flying fuck about what those ex-fans wanted to see from my music; why not catch new fans with a new style of music? Are kids getting into punk/rock/pop/dance music in 2006 any different to those who were getting into music in any other year passed. It's the ultimate in snobbishness to think that if you're aiming for new fans you're aiming for the bigger buck, if you ask me.

Greenday and Radiohead aren't easily incomparable, at least in sense of musical diversification.
  • Options
    If I was a member of Greenday I wouldn't give a flying fuck about what those ex-fans wanted to see from my music; why not catch new fans with a new style of music?

So that's your opinion on how a band should act? If I was in a band I would care about the fans that made me successful and would stay loyal to my roots and the reasons those fans liked me. It's fair enough to chase new fans but I wouldn't sell out in order to do so. I'm not their greatest fan either, so it doesn't bother me much. Thankfully none of the bands I've truly admired have ever sold out.
  • Options
    "Sold out"? Where's the line between changing musical direction and selling out? I could hark it all back to Dylan going electric, but I don't want to put everyone [myself] to sleep.

I personally think it's fair game to try and appeal to as many people as you can, and display your talent simultaneously. But obviously to others that translates to selling out on the people who initially were your fans and supported you.

I can completely understand what you're saying, though. Let's agree to disagree. ;)
  • Options
    i think greenday are one of the rare bands that constantly makes great listenable music, ive listened to em for the best part of my life and still love em, however most of my fave stuff is on the early cds.
  • Options
    Aparently the master tapes for the follow up to warning were stolen but its more than likely they chucked it themselves as Billie-Joe was cracking up, so one day Mike and Tre got on the blower and asked him if he was still interested he said yes so they straigthened up. So one day while Mike was waiting for the other to at the studio he knocked out the American Idiot bassline they thought this is good and the rest as they say is history. :thumb:
  • Options
    i like their new stuff but still think their older stuff is so much better. think the first one i heard was Basket Case. and its still one of my fav Greenday songs. but yes to the orgrinal question BUY THEM NOW!!!!
  • Options
    Dookie was a landmark album and Nimrod was a little too commercial but still quality. Kerplunk was good as well - like Insomniac.

I do like American Idiot. Naturally its more polished than the earlier stuff because they've got the money to spend on better production but I still like it. However, it's not a patch on the old stuff.