Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hartson and co

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pinkstar wrote:
    Celtic don't seem to be willing to do anything about the problems that are in their own dressing room.

It extends further than the dressing room.

The video was taken at Jackie MacNamara's official testmonial night and Brian Quinn was there. The owner of the venue is known to be pro-IRA and you can bet that Celtic were well aware of that before the place was booked.

It begs the question: if they were happy to have an OFFICIAL Celtic testimonial night, with the chairman in attendance and pro-IRA songs being sung, what do we not know about?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Since when did calls for parity in the treatment of both parties become abuse?

From the moment you only condemned one. Your call for parity doesn't come across as being because you think that both have done wrong, but more because "that is what we got", that parity is warranted not both clubs have elements who act inappropriately but to "even the score".

That may not be what you actually believe, but look back at previous threads on the issue of racism in Glasgow football and see if you can count how many Rangers fans have accepted that their club has a problem.

If you get more than one I will be surprised.

Like I said in that thread, Rangers fans need to admit that the club has a problem instead of just looking at what Celtic are doing. Stop pointing the finger and look internally. There are faults on both sides.

When a Celtic fan turns up I would say the same to him...

That is parity.
  • Options
    From the moment you only condemned one. Your call for parity doesn't come across as being because you think that both have done wrong, but more because "that is what we got", that parity is warranted not both clubs have elements who act inappropriately but to "even the score".

What the fuck are you babbling about? I haven't condemned anyone for a start, and wouldn't even mention the whole affair if it wasn't for the Donald Finlay fiasco.
    That may not be what you actually believe, but look back at previous threads on the issue of racism in Glasgow football and see if you can count how many Rangers fans have accepted that their club has a problem.

If you get more than one I will be surprised.

That is parity.

Your view of the Old Firm is based on little else than ill-informed misconception if you seriously believe there is serious trouble with racism at either club.

What racist incidents are you referring to? What sources do you have to back this up?
    That is parity.

Is it? Strange understanding you've got as to the meaning of parity it would seem...
  • Options
    Im a bit Merry and have skipped over most of the thread. But as a welshie, I wonder why the hell would Hartson do..anything...involved with the IRA.
  • Options
    Donald Finley was a middle aged QC, one of the top Advocates (barristers) in scotland therefore should certainly be more responsible in that area than a young drunk football player.

I support Celtic but am not a hugh fan, in fact the SPL bores me a bit, its only exciting on an old firm match or if Celtic are in Europe.

Ive not been aware of any anti Celtic bias by the newspapers and have never heard Celtic supporters calling the daily record the daily rangers.
    Bias by the Ref is a much more commen complaint Ive heard that quite a few times

Whos the Mason
    Whos the Mason
    Whos the Mason in the black

I guess as Catholics are in the minority in Scotland and have claims of preduice in employment etc, (which is more in the past realy, some people with a silly chip on their shoulder think it still goes on, but it hardly does) they are able to get away with a few chants a bit more easily.

Celtic is perhaps seen as being "cool" ie like celebrating St Patrics day in a way which Rangers isnt.

I suspose there are slightly more racist rangers supporters than Celtic, but there are vicious ignorant thugs aplenty on both sides.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I haven't condemned anyone for a start, and wouldn't even mention the whole affair if it wasn't for the Donald Finlay fiasco.

Isn't that what I said. You don't condemn the behaviour, you just want to "even the score".
    Your view of the Old Firm is based on little else than ill-informed misconception if you seriously believe there is serious trouble with racism at either club.

What racist incidents are you referring to? What sources do you have to back this up?

Given the topic under discussion here and the Finlay case, perhaps you should reconsider your comment.

Ill-informed? Did the two events not happen then? The Rangers fans seem to suggest that this is the "norm" for Celtic. Celtic fans will say the same about Rangers.

So, am I misinformed or are have you got the blinkers on.

NB If memory serves, Mark Walters got an interesting reception when he signed... if I could find a link I would...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

Okay now I'm home I've done a quick search. Five minutes brought this up:

This article by David Murray includes the following: “ They showed Rangers and Celtic supporters singing sectarian songs in their own grounds”. Note, he didn’t say that it didn’t happen. The rest of the article talks about society and the fact that this racism is a reflection of that, something I wouldn’t disagree with, but also highlights what Rangers are doing about it.

This one builds on that but also mentions the sectarian banners in evidence in the grounds.

The Guardian refers to a website, run by Celtic fans, which defends the “right” of Irish fans to boo Rangers players.

This website contains a letter referring to racism at Rangers, from a Celtic fan.

This Scottish Parliament document refers racism levelled at Bobo Balde by Rangers fans

another from the NTL website about the racism their fans face from Rangers fans.

This Guardian article talks about racism in football generally, including in England. It references the Walters issue I was talking about earlier. NB There has been, and still is in areas, a racism problem in English football.

Paul Elliott talks about racism in the Old Firm games.

Is that enough to start with? Do you want more? I'm sure I could find more if I really wanted to look...
  • Options
    Since when did sectarianism become racism?

Two completely separate issues.

Celtic fanzines and Scottish Labour are hardly unbiased sources. It is true Bobo Balde has had some monkey noises directed at him from the stands, but this is not something you can single out Rangers for. I've never heard racist chanting at a Rangers game as happens in the English leagues. This supposed racist "problem" just doesn't exist to any considerable extent in Scottish football.

Sectarian, yes of course, but unless you've actually lived up here it's hard to understand how instinctive this sort of thing is. Most people sing the songs, but couldn't care about the lyrics - to the chattering classes outside of Scotland it may seem shocking, but in Glasgow people don't bother giving it a second thought.
  • Options
    Instinctive or not, that doesn't make it acceptable. The reason we find it "shocking" is for that very reason. You seem to condone that kind of behaviour...

I take the point on racism though, perhaps for pedantry sake I should have said racism/sectarianism.

And no, I am not singling Rangers out, I would apply that to all racism and all clubs where (for example) Balde has faced monkey chants - and note I do mention racism in England.

However, your comments seem to imply that there is no problem there when clearly Balde and Elliot would have a different view supported by evidence.
  • Options
    Instinctive or not, that doesn't make it acceptable. The reason we find it "shocking" is for that very reason. You seem to condone that kind of behaviour...

Aye, but that's a cultural difference. Also what you have to understand is that the majority of people are no way near as a bigotted as the songs they sing on matchday might suggest. Yeah, you'll hear pro-IRA stuff from Celtic, you'll hear plenty of Fuck the Pope at Rangers, but to equate that with a serious, "horrific" problem is not necessarily the case. People's opinions and how they act on those opinion are far more complicated than that.

I'd actually argue that sectarianism in Scottish politics is more of a problem in real, practicle terms than in Scottish football, but that's an entirely different subject.
    I take the point on racism though, perhaps for pedantry sake I should have said racism/sectarianism.

Fair enough.
    And no, I am not singling Rangers out, I would apply that to all racism and all clubs where (for example) Balde has faced monkey chants - and note I do mention racism in England.

However, your comments seem to imply that there is no problem there when clearly Balde and Elliot would have a different view supported by evidence.

Okay - racist language does get used by Rangers fans, and as such could be considered a problem, but certainly less so than a proliferation of other British teams (including Bradford).

That then returns us to the original point - where Kermit is singling Rangers out as racist and posting nonsense articles with the sources naming provo-supporting organisations and drawing some quite laughable connections between Rangers and C18/BNP which could also be quite easily drawn between the majority of professional British teams with hooligan elements (most clubs).
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Kermit is singling Rangers out as racist

Then Spliffie needs to learn to read. The drugs must have turned his brain to mush.

Are Rangers alone in it? Of course they fucking aren't. You are right- Celtic have done it, and continue to do it. I don't think that Bradford has the racist links it used to- I haven't personally heard a racist chant in ten years, and I stood on the Kop ffs. Black players certainly haven't had monkey chants at them in my earshot, not that says it didn't happen. But some opposition players have said they've received it, and the casuals are still a problem when they pop out of the woodwork. I know the Ointment are as far from angels as you can be. And it's the same with other English clubs, Leeds are only awful when they're playing Cardiff or Leicester these days.

The point is that I'm quite happy to condemn my club's following for it when it happens. I don't go OMFGZ bUt CeLtIc R wurz!!!

Do I think Rangers are worse than a lot of clubs in the UK? Most of them? Too right I do.

Was Findlay chanting sectarian songs? Yes, he was.

Do I think Celtic are worse than a lot of clubs in the UK? Too right I do.

Do I think the players were chanting IRA? No. Should they have stopped it? Of course they should.

But as the players were not chanting IRA, then why should the players be punished for it? They didn't sign autographs saying FTP, they didn't call the rival striker a dirty immigrant, they didn't sing sectarian songs (unless you want to call the Fields of Athenry a sectarian song). What have they done wrong, except not shutting up some morons?

Do I think Crazy Diamond is blind to his club's failings? He's foaming at the mouth, for fuck's sakes. It's pathetic, and its why Glasgow will never change. Rangers have problems, and whilst Rangers fans attack those who point them out instead of attacking the minority of fucknodes who cause the problems those problems will not go away.

Are all Rangers fans sectarian racist filth? Of course they're not, no more than my family hate Pakistanis because of the club they support. But that don't mean there isn't a problem. All racist fuckheads should be condemned.

The problem is that, as you can see, Rangers fans seem to spend too much time worrying about what Celtic are doing, instead of being pro-active about their own vermin. Worry about your vermin, and let Celtic worry about theirs.
  • Options
    All you're doing is trying to level it up now you've been made to look a fool.

Even to the extent of proclaiming celtic as having a troublesome support, the very same celtic who have won awards for their supporters' behaviour :lol::lol::lol:

What a snivelling buffoon.

You've been shown up bigtime.

Time for you to return to discussing which footballers look like rapists and ranting like an obsessed headcase about the FA's failure to curtail Mourinho and Alex Ferguson :lol:

MUG
  • Options
    And you say illegal drugs are good for you...

Um.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And you say illegal drugs are good for you...

Um.

And you say it's me who needs to learn how to read :lol: :rolleyes: