Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What gives him the right?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right this is a long story I'll be as quick as I can.

A few minutes ago I recieved a text from an old college friend, who I really enjoyed spending time with between classes as he was funny and I could just sit there and talk to him. Well for some reason he thought I wanted to take it futher, but I did not as he seemed to have quite a few girlfriends over the first year at college, but they all meant nothing to him, he really did like me though as I was different to them, as I did not go round chasing men.

Well we decided to stay friend and we still see each other every now and again, plus we text each other at times (well mainly he texts me first). Normally to moan about not having any real friends or a girlfriend, he has not had one since college, so for about 3 years but he has meanage to still have the odd sex.

Anyway now that I have a boyfriend he seems to text me every holiday period asking how I'm and if I'm still with my boyfriend as he still believes that if he got together with me he would be different. As I am the one who would be able to make him commit. (Oh my god he sounds like Daniel Cleaver from Bridget Jones).

Well to day he texted me asking how I was and if I was still with x (my boyfriend). To which I replied that I was fine and we where still together and have booked a holiday together and have talked about marriage and kids which is scary but we are in love. To which he replied never rush something like marriage, you are at uni you should be smart, love can change. You both won't be the same forever. Live with someone first. Well this message really made me mad, its almost as if he istrying to tell me how I feel and how I should live my life. So I texted back We have only talked about it and have decided not until I have finished uni and have a job.

Why does he keep doing this? Can he stand that fact that I am in a happy and loving relationship.

Sorry I did not mean it to be so long I just had to get it off my chest.

Comments

• Options
    perhaps he cares for you, and wouldn't want you to make a "big mistake".

you mention "he still believes that if he got together with me he would be different", does he say this, or is it something he said once and you are extrapolating?
  • Options
    I didn't read that as an offensive kind of message, I think he genuinley cares for you, he didn't say anything along the lines of your current boyfriend not being good for you, although he maybe does have his own motives, being the fact that he wants you to be with him rather than your boyfriend, he still wants you to be happy.

However, if after what.... 4 years? he is still very interested in you then maybe it might be best in both your interests to tell him where he stands and that he needs to get on with his life rather than waiting for you, which inevitably, may never happen.

Don't give him a hard time though, to hear that from someone who obviously means so much to him would cut really deep.
  • Options
    He just sounds a bit jealous, and as though he might be feeling a bit lonely and isolated. Especially if, as you said, he does this around holiday times...when those kinds of feelings are magnified. You're "the one that got away", if you like, and some people find it very hard to just let it slide.

There's no real advice I can give you other than to ignore what he has said, it should be like water off a duck's back - I don't think it's a case of him telling you how to run your life. It's probably a mixture of jealousy and him being a bit of a knob, try and forget it. :)
  • Options
    He sounds a bit jealous, but he is right. Don't rush into marriage, and do live with your partner for a while before deciding on marriage and babies. You find sometimes that you can't live with your boy.

He does sound jealous, it probably isn't right for him to say it, but what he said is fairly accurate. He sounds like he regrets not having you, and when he's back it hits home more. He'll get over it.
  • Options
    I've always made it clear from the very beignning that I could only be friends with him, due to the way he use to go through girlfriends, as he always seemed to be telling me of a new girl he fancied every week.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to mention I was the one who he came to when he needed someone to talk to when he was worried that one of his girlfriends had been tested positive for a STI and he was waiting on his results. It was negitive, but the fact that he allowed himself to get into that sort of situation worried me, hence why I t decided it would be best for us just to be friends.
  • Options
    You seem like a smart lass, judging by your comments.

To me, he sees you as "the one that gone away" whilst he was dipping his pen in a lot of differnt inks. He will get over it eventually, but maybe you should ease contact with him, or tell him those types of comments aren't appropriate while you're currently seeing someone.
  • Options
    YOu don't need to justify why you didn't go with him, but he sounds like he very much sees you as the one who got away, and he sounds like he regrets that. It happens, he'll get over it.

What he said is probably right, but he shouldn't be saying them unless he's a very close friend. And he doesn't sound like he is.
  • Options
    You seem like a smart lass, judging by your comments.

Thank you
    To me, he sees you as "the one that gone away" whilst he was dipping his pen in a lot of differnt inks. He will get over it eventually, but maybe you should ease contact with him, or tell him those types of comments aren't appropriate while you're currently seeing someone.

I have not contacted him since we left college, he always texts me first it normally only a couple of texts at a time and only about 4 times a year. I don't mind talking to him, if we do bump it to each other when we are both at home, as he is a really funny person and it was fun spending lunchtimes in the park with him and other friends. What I don't get is why he has to make comments about me and my boyfriend espcially since he has never meet him.
  • Options
    dont feel like you have to prove something to him about your relationship, it has nothing to do with him and i think he is just jealous.
    i do know where you're coming from though, i would be annoyed that he seems to think he 'knows better' than you to be able to make this comment that, considering his history with girls, he clearly knows nothing about. just ignore him honey.
  • Options
    Thanks Sugar it just really make me mad that he just keeps contacting me to ask how I'm and who me and my boyfriend are. Then he replies with something negitive.
  • Options
    I've just got another text

Sorry to bring this up again, but now I'm his dating agency. He has just asked me if I know fit lonely ladies. :mad:
  • Options
    before that last comment i might've thought he was half decent...maybe he's trying to make you jealous??
  • Options
    If he's annoying you that much maybe it's time to start ignoring his texts.
  • Options
    or bar his number on your phone. that way he can call but it wont connect
  • Options
    before that last comment i might've thought he was half decent...maybe he's trying to make you jealous??

Jealous of what? The fact that I not single and thus I can't just go off and sleep with the first person I meet. Personally I don't think i could ever do that, I need to be in a loving relationship before I sleep with someone.
  • Options
    are you sure there is no way deep down that you maybe have some feeling for him? not even a feeling of liking the attention from him? you seem to let him get to you an awful lot, sorry if you dont, just making a point.
  • Options
    May be I did like him as more then just I friend when we first where introduced, and when our old group mets up over the summer or like I said earlier I just bump into him he is a very funny guy.

However this pattern of text messages is a common thing that happens every few months and now its just getting beyond a joke. One summer he as texting and phoning me 3/4 times a day begging me to sleep with him this happened for about a week and I had to tell him that if he did not stop I would report him to the police. It has never got that bad since. So that is why it gets to me so much when he started to say things like he did yesterday.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    or bar his number on your phone. that way he can call but it wont connect

You can do this?????
  • Options
    I should be able to do this, the only problem was when he phones me he normally does it from his home number is exdirectory so it comes up with private number, so unless I can get a new number without having to buy a new phone, which I can aford at the moment I'm not sure how I can stop his home number, as I don't know it.
  • Options
    It's ulterior motives but not in a sneaky way. He's hardly going to ask what sort of wedding present you want.
  • Options
    You mentioned the word 'police' and yet he still contacts you?
    Little_one wrote:
    However this pattern of text messages is a common thing that happens every few months and now its just getting beyond a joke. One summer he as texting and phoning me 3/4 times a day begging me to sleep with him this happened for about a week and I had to tell him that if he did not stop I would report him to the police. It has never got that bad since. So that is why it gets to me so much when he started to say things like he did yesterday.
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    You mentioned the word 'police' and yet he still contacts you?

Yes he does, but now it only seems to be the a couple of texts every 3/4 months.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You can do this?????
    yeah i did it years ago on an old phone but since then i had to phone the mobile network and say i wanted that number banned. Little One if you speak to your phone network then you can ask them to send you a new sim and number due to these calls and txts. depending on the network some do it for free some might charge you a few pounds to do it.
  • Options
    Thanks for that youngbull, I've just been looking on there website and it should be easy to do, I can either ring them or pop in there shop, it does not say how much it is, but the fact that I can buy a new sim on pay as you go for only £1.99 it can't be that bad.
  • Options
    no problem hun. i know what it can feel like, i had myself a stalker a few years back, and had to do the same thing. thing of the matter was it was an ex girlfriend that dumpped me.
  • Options
    Good news

Thank everyone,

I'm changing my mobile number.

My new sim should arrive tomorrow and as I was having problems with a sort of ex boyfriend, (we never really went out) they are going to give me my new sim for free and give me £5 free credit so that I can text everyone in my phone book. The lady I spoke to in the shop was really understanding as her daughter how is my age also had a ex boyfriend how was hassling her, so she siad as I've been with them for 6 years £7 was not going to kill the company. (Well she was the manager).