Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

charlse kennedy ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    oh yeah if Blair says a lie or a mistruth oro is not told about something proeprly and goes off an tells us all something that turns out not be true then he is the devil incarnate but kennady goes no war and when he lies its ok?

You silly billy.

The difference is that the PM lying affects us (i.e. the farce of a war), whereas Charles Kennedy's drinking makes no difference to me whatsoever. I wouldn't mind if Blair lied about being an alcoholic, again, no difference to me.

All politicians try and build upon an image of being honest and trustworthy (I don't think any of them are).
  • Options
    Well, he's gone. Clicky.

It had to happen really.

From a personal point of view his alcoholism had little to do with his political abilities, as his showing in the election and stance on Iraq seemed to show. However, Iit must have affected his ability to lead. Stories abound about his missing meetings or turning up a little worse for wear and you cannot lead a partuy in that state.

Another consideration is that his admission is the starting point of his recovery and I feel that he really should dedicate his energies to that for the sake of his marriage, child and more importantly his own health. Being a party leader would only get in the way.

As for lying, well he was/is an alcoholic. One of the main symptoms of the disease is denial. D enial to those you love, those you work with but more often to yourself. I have no problem that he refused to publically admit that he had a problem until now. What we have to remember is that drinking to this degree is not a lifestyle choice, it's an illness. He didn't deliberately mislead anyone, he wasn't being untrustwothy in that regard.
  • Options
    It's a bit like Thatcher, she became a political liability as did he. Had to go really.

It's funny because a few weeks ago I saw an interview with him and he said he enjoys a drink like any other person but doesn't have a problem and now this. I hope he gets better, quite a genuine guy like.