Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tattoo care

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have done a search and checked a few links that came up in it but im still confused.

i had my tattoo done on wednesday and i have been using an aftercare spray(contains coconut oil, witch hazel,tea tree oil,manuka oil and lavender) that the guy gave me as he said it was the best stuff but im so sore and it feels really dry and tight. i don't think the spray is working for me...what do other people who have had tattoos done reccomend?

one of the links especially gave conflicting advice. can u use vaseline? i was told also that soaking in the bath wouldn't be a problem as long as i didnt use any bubblebath type stuff, but links have said u shouldn't :confused: (it was one a mod put up i think)

any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Options
    When I had mine done, I was told to leave it for an hour, then wash with soapy water (no sprays) and leave it. No cream, no nothing. Just to keep it clean when bathing/showering and not to go near chlorine.

Mine was fine then, and still looks sweet as now. But everyone gets told different things by different people.
  • Options
    i was told to use piles cream. true story. it worked a treat too.

apparently pure shea butter works really well too.
  • Options
    Savlon ....Vaseline......ive heard a number of things.

If you think it aint workin, go back and ask them....thats what theyre there for
  • Options
    And dont use harsh soaps. Dove is perfect.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i was told to use preparation h, which is a haeomorroid (sp?) cream, and its been the same with a couple of mates who went to different parlours. im not sure what it did, but i had no pain, and the scab came off well, and was very smooth afterwards.
  • Options
    i got given a cream to use, they said u can use sorbelene also
  • Options
    when i got mine and all the other people i know with them we were all told to buy Lasinoal (or however its spelt) its kind of like vaseline but you buy it from the chemist
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I agree with the Preparation H recommendation, it has been widely tried and tested amongst my group of friends, and when you think about it its perfect - soothes very tender skin, keeps the area germ free, keeps the area moisturised with out creating an impenetrable barrier so it gets soggy - everything you need for a tattoo!

There are loads of different methods, but the simpler the better. A healing tattoo is just one great big scab really, and you know what happens to them when they get wet - not really something you want to have to deal with when healing a tattoo. I wouldn't get it too wet, just soap up with a really mild cleanser (maybe one you would use on your face) to keep it clean, pat it dry and put the cream on. Vaseline is petroleum based and not ideal...
  • Options
    Most of my mates have at least 1 tattoo, my mum and brother also have 1, and they've all been told to use Preparation-H (pile cream), and they have all said it worked perfectly. Apparently a tiny bit underneath your eyes gets rid of bags too and makes your eyes look younger, but i dont know anyone who's tried that! :chin:
  • Options
    Apparently a tiny bit underneath your eyes gets rid of bags too and makes your eyes look younger, but i dont know anyone who's tried that! :chin:

Kate Moss does it. So I heard.
  • Options
    mmm, think il be buying some of that!! How does it work on ur eyes, does it tighten the skin or something?
  • Options
    I've got 4 tattoos and 3 of them are pretty big. As people have said Preperation H is good but I just used savalon on all of mine. Keep it in the fridge aswell. It feels soooo good when it's itching like crazy!
    You shouldn't soak it in the bath. If you do it can soak the ink out or something and make it fade pretty bad. I just stuck to showers when I had all mine done.
    Mine all turned out really good. Non patchy and non faded :)
  • Options
    I think it is actually less about soaking the ink out, and more that the skin containing the ink, the top layer of which has scabbed up, gets soggy and comes off, so that the skin underneath scabs up in its place, meaning that your skin is renewing itself more quickly and the layers with the ink in them get closer to the top, making it more likely your tattoo will end up patchy. I think.
  • Options
    That makes more sense...you're probably right.
  • Options
    i got a new tattoo on...tues and its currently at the itchy stage..muchos grr. i cant itch it tho. one of my other ones has a patchy bit from itchin when id jus got that done lol
  • Options
    I think Prep H has something in it that soothes itching, if you aren't using it already... What did you get done?
  • Options
    i got a new tattoo on...tues and its currently at the itchy stage..muchos grr. i cant itch it tho. one of my other ones has a patchy bit from itchin when id jus got that done lol

The itching is a pain in the ass! >_<
    I gave up not itching with my last one but luckily it didn't go patchy :D
    My other 3 I couldn't reach properly to itch.
    Whatever cream you're using keep it in the fridge or dab at it with a clean, cold wet face cloth, don't rub it though or hold it on for too long.
  • Options
    I'm just building uop the courage to go and get mine done! Prep-H has always seemed a popular cream to use.
  • Options
    Mine wasn't itchy.

Am I strange?
  • Options
    I'm just building uop the courage to go and get mine done! Prep-H has always seemed a popular cream to use.

What are you thinking of getting done and where?
    The scariest bit is the sound of the tattoo gun and the first line. After a couple of minutes it doesn't hurt anymore. I fell asleep while getting one of mine done :p
  • Options
    Mine wasn't itchy.

Am I strange?

You're lucky... Mine drove me crazy! >_<
  • Options
    I want my own design done right at the bottom of my back. I'm really scared of the pain, but I should't be as its only a really simple line drawing.
  • Options
    yeah i'm currently trying to think of a desgin for my next one, want it placed between my shoulder blades and go down my back. but not sure what to get. I desgined my first/last one, its a kind of a bear print (the pads and claws).
    I didn't think that one hurt (was on upper arm) felt nothing more than a pin prick at first than after awhile nothing
  • Options
    I'd never heard of prep h before. shall trot off boots. Ive jus been usin vaseline and wearin gloves ( :lol: ) incidently these are my tattoos, i have three but the pictures show what and where hehe:
  • Options
    I really just need to book myself in and get someone along with me who can happily take being sworn at non-stop for 10 miutes while I try and break their hand at the same time!
  • Options
    I'd never heard of prep h before. shall trot off boots. Ive jus been usin vaseline and wearin gloves ( :lol: ) incidently these are my tattoos, i have three but the pictures show what and where hehe:

Nice :) I like them.

These are mine...
  • Options
    Yours are lush:D I especially like the one thats your av too. I am way to impatient/fidgetty/impulsive to get big ones done but I want another one already.Gosh addictiveness
  • Options
    they all look like shit tats
    they should be covered up and then cut off and put in to a fire.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind... :yeees:
  • Options
    rss3000 wrote:
    they all look like shit tats
    they should be covered up and then cut off and put in to a fire.
    so like what should be done with your face then?