Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

charlse kennedy ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hic!

what dya reckon ...is he finnished?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I'd still trust a man who admitted that he has problems to a guy who is blatantly flawed but refuses to admit it....

I agree, at least he had the guts to admit that he had/has a problem, it take a brave person to admit some thing like that.
  • Options
    but politicians only usualy do such things ...when they know someone is about to blow the lid don't ypou think.
    soooo ...maybe a damage limitation exercise.
  • Options
    please, paddy ashodown was a mega drunk 24/7 and it never affected his leadership much.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    please, paddy ashodown was a mega drunk 24/7 and it never affected his leadership much.
    big difference being a drunk and being an alcoholic.
  • Options
    He's gone and its nothing to do with the drink. Its to do with the fact he's lost the confidence of his Parliamentary party (which is ironic considering they've got the most seats they've had since around 1918)
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    I agree, at least he had the guts to admit that he had/has a problem, it take a brave person to admit some thing like that.

Not really, surely a brave person wouldn't have needed 'detailed allegations' in tomorrow's newspapers to finally come clean before it hits the papers.

BBC wrote:
    Mr Kennedy - who has previously denied a drink problem - admitted seeking "professional help" to beat the bottle....Mr Kennedy is believed to have called a press conference to admit his drink problem "within an hour" of being confronted with detailed allegations by reporters.

If it wasn't for what the reporters knew he'd still be denying that he has a drink problem.

I mean fair play to him for being honest (although by the look of it only to minimise the damage) and for admitting that he's dealing with the problem. Good luck to him but I think his career as LibDem leader is over. Whether it's right or not even less people will be able to take Charles Kennedy seriously as a potential PM given this and the LibDems certainly aren't 'the real alternative' with Kennedy as leader - although that was the case even before this.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    He's gone and its nothing to do with the drink. )
    i'm glad he's gone ...he's glad he's often gone.

i cannot imagine anything worse than someone like CK ...BEING THE LEADER OF THIS NATION.
    OOPAS.

on the world stage of wheeling and dealing your up against some of the biggest twats on the planet ...the best schemers ...the shrewdest crooks ...the downright selfish and evil.
    ...yet some people believe a sandal wearing drunk ...might just be in with a chance against ...putin say ...

give us all a break please.
  • Options
    Apparently ITN were about to blow the lid, which is why he came out.

I don't think it makes any difference, really. There's an alcie in the White House and nobody cares (about that, anyway). Thatcher couldn't cope without whiskey, it's to be expected in jobs like that.

I think he's lost the faith of the party, which is a shame. After all that hard work, they'll just hand it back to the Tories.
  • Options
    Leo on the West Wing was a recovering alcoholic and was excellent.. (R.I.P John Spencer).
  • Options
    Leo on the West Wing was a recovering alcoholic and was excellent.. (R.I.P John Spencer).
    recovering alkies/addicts are some of the strongest most determined and sucseshull people i ever met but ...he isn't even in recovery yet.
    i haven't had a hit for two months aint good enough.

to admit you have an addiction problem and tell everyone your dealing with it is admirable but ...it is one hell pof a thing t be dealing with.
    one hell of a thing to the extent that to beat that addiction you put the addiction /recovery process before everything ...family wife kids etc.
    soooo ...this guy cannot possibly deal with his addiction/medical problem ...and deal with putin mugabe world energy prices etc etc etc ...he's finnished.
    but ...probably do well as a celeb on have i got news for you ...and eventualy ...when he's gone far enough down ...big brother ...
  • Options
    There just scared of Cameron aka Tony Mk II

Kennedy definatly comes accross as the most ordinary bloke out of Blair the Liar or oh so ordinary Eton boy Cameron.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    There just scared of Cameron aka Tony Mk II

Kennedy definatly comes accross as the most ordinary bloke out of Blair the Liar or oh so ordinary Eton boy Cameron.

You might be surprised how down-to-earth a lot of toffs actually are.

I'd rather spend time socially with Cameron than any of the jumped-up, intellectually-deprived, self-serving shits currently occupying Hollyrood. The latter are genuinely horrible characters, almost to a man.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    You might be surprised how down-to-earth a lot of toffs actually are.

I'd rather spend time socially with Cameron than any of the jumped-up, intellectually-deprived, self-serving shits currently occupying Hollyrood. The latter are genuinely horrible characters, almost to a man.

You can't tell me about toffs, Exeter Uni has a large population of them who look down on poor people and beat them with canes. :(

(well maybe not, but most are right up their own arses and will only associate themselves with other upper class people!) :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    You can't tell me about toffs, Exeter Uni has a large population of them who look down on poor people and beat them with canes. :(
    Well, I've been told that the University of Exeter is stuffed to the rafters with stuck-up Londoners who've probably never experienced a day outside the city in their lives. Still, I suppose there are unis around the country stuffed full of chavs as well. Can't win them all. Anyway, back to the debate...
    hic!what dya reckon ...is he finnished?
    I really don't know. It was brave of him to confess what happened, but I suspect that, had ITV News not said they were going to reveal all in their evening news bulletin, that we would still be receiving denials from LibDem HQ now. If there is a leadership election and only Kennedy stands, that means no change. If someone else takes over, it'll still be tricky.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

(well maybe not, but most are right up their own arses and will only associate themselves with other upper class people!) :crazyeyes

same at UCL

even worse are the ones summed up by "I'm against the war, i'm middle class and i love fair trade coffee" sort of person :crazyeyes
  • Options
    As others have said before, he's on the way out and it's got little to do with the drink...though that's the final nail in the coffin, I'm sure. I really don't like the fact that ITN have squeezed this confession out of him in the way they have; I know it's not a trait we look for in our political leaders, but alcoholism isn't some tawdry scandal involving snorting cocaine off the arse-cheeks of an old age prostitute. Now it's got the "shameful secret life" spin and I don't think that's helpful to anyone (CK himself and the general stigma of alcoholism, included).

It's quite sad since I actually quite like the fella, and am bemused by the fact that many of his supporters/a substantial majority of his party have turned against him despite the fact that he's been doing a fairly decent job.

However, if Blunkett can hang onto the coat tails of a political "career" for as long as he did then I don't see why CK can't.
  • Options
    And who's going to replace him...Menzies Campbell? :lol: :no:
  • Options
    What gets me is, its not that he is an alcoholic but what has his success been based on? Wht was the real cause of the increase in LD votes? It was the Iraq platform. I t was Kennady going on and on about how Blair lied about Iraq, Blair lied about WMD, Blair lies, Bush lies, Howard lied. All about lies.

What has kennaday been saying before yesterday's little announcement? "I don't have a drink problem" "I have never had a drink problem".

Then ITN discover the truth and low and behold, Kennady says "I have a drink problem"

So what was he doing before then? Did he develop a drink problem in a day? No. He must have had a drink problem long before that so what do those denials mean??

He was lying!!!!! He is a liar!!! Thats nothing for a politican but what it is, is hypocracy and a big, public hypocracy.

He should step down.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    He was lying!!!!! He is a liar!!!

No shit, sherlock.

Admitting to having a drinking problem, being an alcoholic, is very hard for the most average of Joes to do (arguably, Kennedy is the most average of all, but..) so when you're under huge public scrutiny and know that your livelihood, career etc could rest on the public's judgement of your personal problems, then I'd imagine it'd be difficult to admit. Hey, those of us without your flawlessly honest nature might even lie about it.

He and Blair are both liars by definition, but I don't think the issues over which they've deceived the public are comparable.

I feel very sorry for him right now.
  • Options
    No shit, sherlock.

:lol::lol: :thumb:
  • Options

yes, but also fictional
  • Options
    same at UCL

even worse are the ones summed up by "I'm against the war, i'm middle class and i love fair trade coffee" sort of person :crazyeyes

Bit of inverted snobbery perhaps?

Those types aren't "toffs" as such anyway. Real toffs largely couldn't give a fuck either way.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Those types aren't "toffs" as such anyway. Real toffs largely couldn't give a fuck either way.

The real toffs know they're better than poor people, so don't care about poor people, and don't set out to belittle them.

But that's not the same as public school boys, who by and large are little sanctimonious cunts who would benefit from being run over by a tram. Any of us from poor backgrounds who've gone to good unis have had to deal with these twats, and if they were the first against the wall when the revolution comes I wouldn't shed a tear.

Though yes, politicians are just as bad. But then most of them are public school boys, Blair is and I wouldn't want to do anything to him except but his head in a blender.
  • Options
    same at UCL

Hilarious... I be you're cmpletely working class and had a terrible poor upbringing.

You don't need an education to care about the world...

One thing that gets me about "working class" people is the inverted snobbery they have.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yes, but also fictional

Which is a shame since President Bartlett would be a far better President than Bush..Oh well.
  • Options
    Which is a shame since President Bartlett would be a far better President than Bush..Oh well.

Fictional politicians always are - scriptwriters are more God-like than God.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Fictional politicians always are - scriptwriters are more God-like than God.

Lol, true. Although perhaps it's partly that they always seem to be Democrat..
  • Options
    oh yeah if Blair says a lie or a mistruth oro is not told about something proeprly and goes off an tells us all something that turns out not be true then he is the devil incarnate but kennady goes no war and when he lies its ok?

thats hypocracy.

he built his campaign an dimage on being honest and attacked the opposition by callin them liars, when he was lying himself. If you play the lie card then you have to take the consequnces if you lie yourself.

If he hadn't gone on abou tlying so much he might stand a chance but no he used it and now he must pay for his deception.

besides that, he has wife and new child to consider. This drink problem isn't solved, its still going, he isn't an ex-addict yet, he is an addict and I don't think being in that job is going to help him recover any. For the sake of his family he should step down.