Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PC "harming society", says think-tank.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
---

Comments

• Options
    Oh look, another completely misguiding and made-up thread title from Born Slippy.
  • Options
    Depends what is meant by 'political correctness'. Sometimes being 'PC' is just being polite and tolerant, eg its probably polite not to talk about 'bottom bandits' when you're talking to someone who's gay.

Other times being 'PC' does go too far or is used to stifle debate, as the article shows. But its probably also true to say that some on the right have their own 'political correctness' which they use to stop debate (eg the claims, es[pecially in the US, that if you criticised Iraq policy you were backstabbing the troops on the ground)
  • Options
    But its probably also true to say that some on the right have their own 'political correctness' which they use to stop debate (eg the claims, es[pecially in the US, that if you criticised Iraq policy you were backstabbing the troops on the ground)

Aye, seems fair assessment to me. The only difference I can see is that those on the right are a lot more naked in their aspirations, and don't claim "tolerance" for their attempted supressions. Which is what makes the "PC" languaging so difficult to fight in the first place.

Insisting upon tolerance.

Hmmmmmmm :yeees:
  • Options
    "The most overt racism, sexism and homophobia in Britain is now among the ethnic minority communities, because their views are rarely challenged as this equates to oppressing them"

So do you think political correctness has gone too far?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4576528.stm

Lot of the time I do and I work in profession that is dominated by it...trouble is you cant have an honest and open debate when people re-invent what they read as proved above.
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    I'd say any 'ghetto' is damaging to society, the references to muslims, 'over pc-ification' and suicide bombers (i find that amusing, theres been a handful of suicide bombers in the UK in the past... well ever - theres been hundreds of murderers but they dont seem to get as much attention) are probably due to the political motivations of the guy that published the work.
  • Options
    I just don't care anymore.
  • Options
    Explain please. Oh, and read this first:

British Muslim Leader Condemns Gays

Yes, 'cos Christians never express homophobia do they?
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/
  • Options

If some minor bishop somewhere was saying the same as some of the clerics, would he still have a job the day after? Would it be plastered all over the news?

I think it would....

What there needs to be is honesty from those who preach "tolerance" that they aren't preaching tolerance at all, they are pushing an ideology every bit as strongly as fundamental Christianity, only with what are, on the face of it, more liberal attitudes. The insistence that everyone share those attitudes is the puzzling bit.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/
    does BS miss the point intentionaly ...he has an agenda yes?
  • Options
    does BS miss the point intentionaly ...he has an agenda yes?
    I'll take those questions as rethorical...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'll take those questions as rethorical...
    silly i kow ...to much alcohol .
    i just can't suss the guy.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If some minor bishop somewhere was saying the same as some of the clerics, would he still have a job the day after?

Course he would.

The (catholic) Bishop of Edinburgh or some such person was banging on about it the other day.

Yes, ghettoisation is a big problem.

No, the homophobia and misogyny of the ethnic communities is not condemned enough. I don't see students unions up and down the land organising a boycott of Sandals Holidays.

No, homophobia and misogyny is not an exclusively foreign problem.

Yes, this think tank are notorious for being cunts. But it gets them in the paper, which is their only intention anyway.
  • Options
    Explain please. Oh, and read this first:

British Muslim Leader Condemns Gays
    I've met Christians who believe this also.
  • Options
    Sorry did I miss somthing? What does political correctness have to do with ghetto's?
  • Options
    Civitas says political correctness has allowed the creation of "Muslim ghettos" which produce suicide bombers.

so the think tank hasnt said its muslim ghettos harming the society, its the political correctness, and even if that was what they have inferred, im annoyed that its the second time in recent days that ive seen a thread where the title is a contrived line, much in the same way that bob geldof was supposed to be joining the tory party
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    B-b-b-born Slippy!

Hmm, more crap posted. Woo. Yay. Etc.

Banz0r, please. The most racist, sexist, and homophobic people I know are Catholic.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so the think tank hasnt said its muslim ghettos harming the society, its the political correctness, and even if that was what they have inferred, im annoyed that its the second time in recent days that ive seen a thread where the title is a contrived line, much in the same way that bob geldof was supposed to be joining the tory party

word

and i live in one of these areas apparantly, it's not a ghetto, it's just got the shoddiest local government ever and the young people being told 'you got no chance in the world'
  • Options
    Civitas says political correctness has allowed the creation of "Muslim ghettos" which produce suicide bombers.

Hrm... To be fair I think there's far more to the whole 'suicide' bomber debate than avoiding a few racist words. I sit on the fence with political correctness... the thing is that the right wing media milk it to death and a lot of the changes made don't seem to be based on Muslim opinion whatsoever.

I remember a Muslim classmate saying how stupid she thinks it is that a paper published an article saying that they can't have 'Christmas lights' anymore because it offends Muslim communities.
    He said the rise in new infections since 1997 was down to increasing levels of HIV-infected migrants from sub-Saharan Africa, but that political correctness had stopped the government tailoring public health policy to this.

Perhaps before making such a statement, Mr Browne (a journalist, not a medical expert I suspect) should test all the African immigrants for HIV and all the people they've slept with for HIV.
    "You have ghettoisation of the mind where people don't start trusting each other, where they don't know about the wider community, where actually their opportunities are damaged because they don't know about wider mainstream British society."

Ghettos... poverty is created by greed.

I agree in a sense, that we need to tackle racism within minority groups against others as much as we tackle it with white people against minority groups. But then I'm not sure how often it is tackled as I haven't noticed it much in the media.
  • Options
    What manner of political correctness produced the 'Christian' terrorists of Northern Ireland or Right-wing terrorists like David Copeland.

or even British ghettoes in Spain?
  • Options
    Head of Muslim Council bashes gays

Muslim communities are certainly not as tolerant and openminded as Christian ones.

In Iran they hang and beat gays, you won't find them doing that in Alabama.
  • Options
    There are bad examples on all sides.

In some US states it is illegal to cohabitate or to have oral or anal sex with your partner. You won't find such laws in many Muslim countries.

You have to bear in mind that luckily the immense majority of believers couldn't give a fuck about the more fundamentalist elements in their religion. I've met countless Christians who have had pre-marital sex. And I've met many Muslims who also have, and who drink alcohol. Despite what their "leaders" might have to say on the matter.
  • Options
    You won't find such laws in many Muslim countries.

Yes you would Because in the Quran gay sex is not permitted.

You probably wouldn't have noticed but the USA is not a theocracy.
    There are bad examples on all sides.

But Muslim examples of persecution are far worse. Don't deny it.
  • Options
    Yes you would Because in the Quran gay sex is not permitted.
    Funnily enough, the very same thing the Bible says.
    You probably wouldn't have noticed but the USA is not a theocracy.
    So? Those laws still exist.

But Muslim examples of persecution are far worse. Don't deny it.
    But not nearly as widespread as some would suggest. Don't deny that either.
  • Options
    Funnily enough, the very same thing the Bible says.

But the bible is not taken as the primary legal document in Christian countries.
    But not nearly as widespread as some would suggest. Don't deny that either.

If they are enshrined in a countries federal law system (as in Saudi, Iran, Pakistan amongst others) then I would say they are very widespread.
  • Options
    But the bible is not taken as the primary legal document in Christian countries.
    Nor is the Koran in a great many Muslim nations.

If they are enshrined in a countries federal law system (as in Saudi, Iran, Pakistan amongst others) then I would say they are very widespread.
    And since the immense majority of Muslim nations, regardless of what their law or Koran might say, don't persecute gays any more than conservative Christian nations do, I would say they are not.
  • Options
    We are getting of the point in my original post :

That the maintsream muslim body in the UK is homophobic.

If the Anglican Church said something as repulsive I bet itd be made into a thread by you in a second.
  • Options
    We are getting of the point in my original post :

That the maintsream muslim body in the UK is homophobic.

And so are the Catholics. I see them both as problems.
    If the Anglican Church said something as repulsive I bet itd be made into a thread by you in a second.

But luckily they don't, anymore, although they are divided on the matter, half is, half isn't.
  • Options
    And Alladin proceeds to show the article is true.

http://www.worldaudit.org/democracy.htm

According to this there is no predominatly Muslim countries in the first or second divisions of democractic countries. The first predominantly Muslim country to feature on the list in Turkey at No. 62
  • Options
    Why is North Korea ranked higher than Cuba? :lol: