Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hating compliments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody else hate compliments?

Somebody last night... Well I think he might care for me more than a friend though I shouldn't... Said a lot of lovely things, but that made me sad. I can't take compliments, but I don't have low self esteem... I just hate them.

Can anybody relate?

Comments

• Options
    definitely.

I feel uncomfortable, and that they're wrong. Though I suppose I do have very low self-esteem.
  • Options
    Anybody else hate compliments?

Somebody last night... Well I think he might care for me more than a friend though I shouldn't... Said a lot of lovely things, but that made me sad. I can't take compliments, but I don't have low self esteem... I just hate them.

Can anybody relate?

Compliments from sober people usually strike me as insincere...people looking to gain your favour or play mind-games with you.

Intoxicated compliments tend to be genuine though.
  • Options
    i love compliments! my family and friends always compliment me and vice versa. i guess its how i've been brought up so im used to it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I can't remember anyone (other than my parents and grandparents) complimenting me in the last few years.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Compliments from sober people usually strike me as insincere...people looking to gain your favour or play mind-games with you.
    lol thats a bit far fetched
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    lol thats a bit far fetched

I'm a paranoid fucker at the best of times, but it's true ;)

Decent looking girls will get genuine compliments regularly, not so much the case with guys.
  • Options
    I used to hate compliments coz I used to think people were just sayin it but now i've grown to accept them and just smile and say cheers.
  • Options
    I love comments. Especially when they're written down by customers and sent to management :D
  • Options
    I'm not keen on compliments, though I like to compliment others where I think its deserved.
  • Options
    Totally relate!! i dont mind that little things like "i like your hair" but when they just go on and on about all the nice stuff about you....well it gets annoying and freaky!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Specific compliments at appropriate times can work wonders IMO. However, it's the vague fuzzy kind, which a few of you have referred to which can really put people's backs up - often because they can sound insincere and you can find yourself wondering "how many other people have they said that to?"

However, a reaction to a specific action or the way someone looks at a certain time is a great way to compliment someone - it's that personal touch that can really make a difference to how we feel about ourselves.
  • Options
    i like compliments about things i can do, or have made, and they really cheer me up, but i hate personal compliments. unless it's from someone really close to me. just makes me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i like compliments about things i can do, or have made, and they really cheer me up, but i hate personal compliments. unless it's from someone really close to me. just makes me uncomfortable.
    I completely agree... Especially when people say that you're really lovely and nice ect... I just think "you barely know me, I'm not like that at all".
  • Options
    No, I like getting compliments. Though sometimes you feel the need to perform in front of people if they say nice things and that might get me a bit uneasy.
  • Options
    A medic student friend diagnosed me with a self-esteem deficiency. (oh ha ha)
    And yes, I abhor compliments! From my boyfriend, they mean a lot...although they are very few and far between.

They just seem so...unnecessary. Does that make sense? I just think to myself: why the hell are you telling me this? Or, yeah right, just because you're so pretty.

Meh...I don't like it... but it happens.
  • Options
    I find receiving compliments difficult; in part because I was brought up to be modest - and I don't know how to respond - to accept seems boastful and to reject them both rude and arrogant.
  • Options
    I never know how to respond either really - i just stand there feeling uncomfortable..

It's ok though since i don't get them often.. :p
  • Options
    I don't get complimented very often and so when I do I get very embarrassed and don't know what to say. I do have low self esteem and so I think that people are just being nice. My boyfriend must get so annoyed with me as I get upset if he doesn't compliment me when I've made an effort but then when I haven't made much of an effort (if I'm just lazing around at home or just going to a lecture) and he compliments me I get annoyed as I feel I don't deserve the compliment. Things he has to put up with!!
  • Options
    A genuine compliment can have me walking on air for hours. I'm that easy :p

Like kaffrin said, it's lovely when people compliment something you've made. A lady stopped me in the street to ask me where my woolly hat was from, and when I told her I'd made it myself she showered me with praise. I was chuffed to bits.

The flip-side is that I hate going on nights out etc, bumping into vague accquaintances and exchanging those stock "I love your hair/shoes/bag/whatever" lines. They very rarely ring true, and I always end up spouting them back to have something to say :(
  • Options
    I find compliments hard to take. I used to hate my looks and such for many years and don't really see what other people say they see so I don't really take compliments for real. I can seem to react quite offensively, but when it's not what you see...then it feels like a pisstake or an attempt at a pick-me-up.

Recently receiving a text from a bloke I'd longed for and knowing how much attention he usually gets he said "I am so chuffed that I have such a stunning girlfriend" I did let myself feel a little good too...just cause he could do so much better so I must have temporarily blinded him...ah!
  • Options
    I find compliments hard to take. I used to hate my looks and such for many years and don't really see what other people say they see so I don't really take compliments for real. I can seem to react quite offensively, but when it's not what you see...then it feels like a pisstake or an attempt at a pick-me-up.

Recently receiving a text from a bloke I'd longed for and knowing how much attention he usually gets he said "I am so chuffed that I have such a stunning girlfriend" I did let myself feel a little good too...just cause he could do so much better so I must have temporarily blinded him...ah!
    Yeah, I noticed at the last meet that you didn't know how to respond when guys said you were gorgeous. I said it along with a couple of other guys there. I couldn't understand why until several days later.

But anyway, :flirt: :naughty: to Malt.