Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why don't kids play in the street anymore?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this was a topic of discussion on the vine show radio 2 this afternoon.

some woman campaigning to get kids playing out again ...like wot they did when i were a lad.

i often go back to the streets where i were a lad ...where i used to play in the streets.

i felt like screaming at the stupid woman ...

you can't play in my street anymore cos it's full of parked cars!

there were very few when i was a kid.
imagine trying to play football now ...every inch of curb space taken up with shiny metal ...millions of quids worth in every street!

not sure what my point was now ...or if i even had one ... :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    Time is dangerous.
  • Options
    I'm sure many parents fear of an abduction and also there's many more cars parked on roads these days.
  • Options
    because people complain
    its dangerous
    and theres more stuff to do indoors these days
  • Options
    Its just not as safe as it used to be! (God i sound like my nan!)

If i had children I'm not too sure how happy I'd be about them playing out in the street!
  • Options
    i used to always play in the street when i was a child, curby/edgy, rollerskates, tig, rounders. was great :D
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i used to always play in the street when i was a child, curby/edgy, rollerskates, tig, rounders. was great :D

I used to play those things; those were the days :yes:.

Kids still play out in the street I grew up in. When I go back to visit our old neighbours they're always out playing the exact same games we did, I might join in next time!

But generally I don't think parents feel confident enough about the area in which they live, and since kids are so prone to play hiding games and go off "on adventures" it probably seems like a necessary evil to keep them inside/within sight.
  • Options
    My brother and sister still play in the street, but its a dead end so the only traffic on it is people who live in it, and all their kids play in the street too so they drive slowly.
  • Options
    I know alot of kids who I wish would play in the street. Play on the highway even.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Play on the highway even.

Wonder why no kids do it - it's such a bright idea.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Wonder why no kids do it - it's such a bright idea.

My friends friend tells his stepkid and their cousins to play in oncoming traffic. They never do though :(
  • Options
    a) kiddie fiddlers
    b) proliferation of traffic
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I know alot of kids who I wish would play in the street. Play on the highway even.
    :lol: their cousins live in our village!
  • Options
    n00b1e wrote:
    a) kiddie fiddlers

Yep and Yep. I also wish many many people I grew up with, would go and play on the A27, thats lots of lovely fast traffic for them to *try* and avoid!
  • Options
    doesn't seem to stop the kids where i live, they pay football,tennis and kick the balls at the cars, also ride the bikes in and out between them and there a big park not 50metres away. i live on a horseshoe shaped oneway road. and kid come steaming down the road (the wrong way) and to to cut you up and hte last second. i swear i'm going to hit one when coming home oneday.
  • Options
    Kids still play in our park, they're actually a nuisance cos they play football outside my house and always hit our door and windows.
  • Options
    n00b1e wrote:
    a) kiddie fiddlers
    I'm agreeing with the above, I wouldn't let my babes play on the street ,even though I used to when I was a nipper, Kerbie ,bulldogs, queenie ,Knock & run,etc :)
    Used to build great dens as well on the fields before they built a housing estate on it. :(
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    doesn't seem to stop the kids where i live, they pay football,tennis and kick the balls at the cars, also ride the bikes in and out between them and there a big park not 50metres away. i live on a horseshoe shaped oneway road. and kid come steaming down the road (the wrong way) and to to cut you up and hte last second. i swear i'm going to hit one when coming home oneday.
    someone has to live in the rough bit.
  • Options
    Kiddy fiddlers? Life in the city must be shite, that's the last thing on peoples minds round here.
  • Options
    Round here kids still play on the street, no real worry of their children getting kidnapped or anything like that.
  • Options
    I never played in the street as I live on a main road.
  • Options
    someone has to live in the rough bit.

i wouldn't call it a rough area, but the parents dont seem to give a s**t.the bit that gets me is the fact theres a huge park 50m from my house, with football pitch, basket ball, tennis courts. swings etc... but they do it in the street instead. i always played in the street but i lived in a cal de sac (is that how its spelt?) and played all the games there, we could see all teh cars coming.
  • Options
    Well, where I used to live all the kids would play out, because we lived in a colldisack. Then even the people who lived on the street played in the road. My mom almost hit one-riding my bike! Anyway, they don't come out much in the winter and we also live by 2 parks, soon to be four, so I guesss there's no need for streets anymore...*sigh* even though I'm more of an inside person, my old colldisack was fun. But here, there are like, no cars! I don't live in a city.
  • Options
    cul de sac ...ok?
  • Options
    I always had loads of homework.
  • Options
    cul de sac ...ok?
    Yeah but colldisack is the most amusing variation I've seen so far!
  • Options
    Yeah but colldisack is the most amusing variation I've seen so far!
    and it's not often I ...can correct someones spelling!
  • Options
    the kids still play in our street. they were playing golf off the green earlier - little fuckers.
  • Options
    I heard them talking about that.
  • Options
    Most of the games the kids in my street play seem to involve throwing rocks or eating dirt and snails.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

My kids still do. In spite of the cars.

They are children and I encourage it, I've been trying to get them to make camps too and took them sledging last week.

basically why should they not experience what I did...?