Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why Did You Break Up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never had to break up with anyone... but lots of you I'm sure have..

So why did you break it off with your exes or why did they break it off with you ..?

Comments

• Options
    my ex finished me over a year ago because he cracked and said he couldnt handle the distance and felt that i deserved better
  • Options
    Wife left after i found out she was having an affair.
    But split from my girlfriend before her because her visa had ran out and she has to move back to canada (i miss her)
  • Options
    My first boyfriend was abusive in many ways. I was only 16, he was 18. He was obsessive and was the cause of my mental breakdown and my lack of self-esteem, or so I believe. What I endured in that relationship others will never in a lifetime. Eventually, I grew so miserable and depressed I had to break up with him to save myself.

Things with my next boyfriend went pretty ok for a while. Until he started ignoring me, treating me like shit in front of his friends, and cheated on me. So in the end, that was that. What little self-esteem I did have was stripped away to nothing... Meh, no one wants to hear this.

But yeah, that is why.
  • Options
    My ex ran off with my best friend. But the relationship wasn't working, and I know I certainly have a few things to deal with before I enter another relationship, I don't think it's fair on the other person if I don't deal with them first.
  • Options
    Found ourselves arguing over the most stupidist things. I suggested we should break up, but he agreed. Still friends, so not all bad.
  • Options
  • Options
    Broke up because I got sick of feeling like an accessory to her life. Lived where she wanted, went on holiday where she wanted, ate where she wanted, spent what she wanted - got piddled with it eventually :).

She seemed to think intimacy was the main problem. Not for me... I couldn't be intimate with someone unless I was happy with them. The lack of intimacy arose because I felt so miserable having such little control over my own life.
  • Options
    Was Cheated on, stupidly took him back and he did the same AGAIN, LESSON LEARNT THERE!

Left me for a better girl until he realised what she was really like then wanted me back. Yes stupidly i agreed but that soon ended i couldnt deal with it.

Then the distance problem.

BUT now i am finally happy and have found a very DECENT guy, so it's all good :)
  • Options
    Me and my first boyfriend broke up after just over a year as we got bored of each other really, it was a joint decision so wasn't difficult and actually got on better than we had been! The other factor was that we really only saw each other at school and my sister had just started that school so didn't want her seeing us together so it would have been difficult, but it was a happy ending!!
  • Options
    My ex who I was madly in love with I broke it off with because we were always arguing and he was also in a way bullying me. It broke my heart to finish it as I was still in love with him and it took time to move on but I have now.
  • Options
    Christian Union people at her uni persuaded her to dump me after 18 months of being together, because i'm not a christian.
  • Options
    My ex finished me because he said the feelings he had for me scared him and he had never felt that way for someone and couldn't handle it. Load of bullshit really, never found out the real reason, but its ok because I'm with a great man now and everythings going great :D
  • Options
    My 2 first bfs dumped me because I was frigid. But I was only about 11.
    I dumped my 3rd bf because his mates stirred things up and I wanted to dump him before he dumped me. Again, I was only 12 - I hardly spoke to him.

I've been with my bf now for over a year - we've come close to splitting up a few times due to stressy situations and a lot of jealousy and a lack of self-esteem.
  • Options
    musehead wrote:
    Christian Union people at her uni persuaded her to dump me after 18 months of being together, because i'm not a christian.

You're the 2nd person I've heard something like that happen to ...the other one was a priest or something that got this girl to dump her boyfriend...
  • Options
    i think its wrong when that happens
  • Options
    She was a bitch and a cheat! simple as that, so it ended.
  • Options
    dont you hate when guys use that excuse? " I just like you TOO much, so we have to break up."
    ya, sure :rolleyes:

Its not just guys who use that line. but have to agree it is a crappy line.
  • Options
    My bf broke up with me and wouldn't give me a reason at all. then 5yrs later we got talking again and he told me he regretted breaking up with me then but my family scared him because they weren't dysfunctional - ie my parents are still together and my family all get along well...unlike his family where his parents are seperated and he didnt like his father. But we're good mates again now, so it's cool :)
  • Options
    Never being able to see each other (200 miles and work schedules). Neither of us were planning to move closer to each other, and it helps if there's at least the hope of being together properly sometime.

Or maybe I'm naff at relationships. It's the last time I have a long-distance one relationship, though.
  • Options
    i dumped 2 of my ex's cuz the cheated

1 ex decided she'd rather be a lesbian

1 was just weird, and didn't know what she wanted / what a relationship consisted of

it's all worked out for the best though, been with my current gf for 18 months. it's all gravy.
  • Options
    My ex who I was with for a year and a half was a complete loser but I was madly in love with him until I saw the light. During A-Levels he never went to school (turns out he didn't get the grades to get into uni.. what a shame as he was VERY intelligent), never had a social life, never liked any of my friends, would take his anger out on me and if I took him to a party, he would sulk in the corner and refuse to make an effort to enjoy himself. Basically he had social esteem issues. I broke up with him about two months ago because I had enough, didn't fancy him anymore and thought I deserved way better. An old flame appeared on the scene at the time I wanted to break up with my ex so I am now currently seeing him and he is caring, talented, funny and the most gorgeous person I've ever met so my ex just had to go.

;)
  • Options
    my ex broke up with me 3 days before christmas. this was after telling me that he was buying me a commitment ring as a christmas present. he went inside to get his atm card then came outside and broke up with me.
  • Options
    MzInnocent wrote:
    my ex broke up with me 3 days before christmas. this was after telling me that he was buying me a commitment ring as a christmas present. he went inside to get his atm card then came outside and broke up with me.

ouch :crying:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    ouch :crying:

that pretty much sums it up

i'm so depressed :crying:
  • Options
    One was distance.. she broke it up then after about 2days of thinking of it i kinda relised she was right so thats all good, talk rarely/sometimes.

other was, well she messed me around to much but it's all worked out for the best, Couldn't be better if i am honest...
  • Options
    We broke up becuase it wasnt really working after our second try and there were just to many arguments. So we broke it off before I hit him cos i was getting more and more annoyed.
  • Options
    She said i was becoming too attached and she didnt think it was going to be a serious thing. :|

The only one before that because i think i only jumped into it because it was the first time a girl had shown interest in me, and she expected far too much from me knowing that i had no experience with anything.

Both only lasted a month.
  • Options
    me and my bf broke up the first time coz he felt that he didn't love me anymore.

when we got back together after 3months we found out that the one night stand he had had resulted in pregnancy. we limped on for a few months after that during which i was very unhappy. then when i was in a bad car accident he wouldn't pull out of a cricket match to see me even though i had nearly died so i ended it.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    he finished with me, and told me he couldnt handle long distance with me being at uni, although he knew from the first day we met i went to uni miles away. he didnt even give it a try... :(
  • Options
    My ex boyfriend finished with me cos he said he didn't love me anymore...at the time i was young, naive and upset but within a few days i realised he had done me a favour, realised he was only really interested in one thing, and i was only probably still with him cos of a fear of change (got together when we were 16, finished after 2ish years)...and within a week or so he was with someone else, so i suspect there was more to him finishing it than he let on! On reflection the only good thing he did for me was end it, as that opened the door for me to get together with my current boyfriend (3 years and counting) who has shown me what a proper loving relationship and true love is like...and i've never been happier...i know we all live and learn...but if you could forget about certain parts you regret... :chin: