Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GMB to let people freeze this winter

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And how does this strike help people whose heating fails? I know it doesn't seem important, but that is what the engineers are actually employed to do...
    The very nature of strikes means that sometimes punters will be inconvenienced. A sense of proportion and greater good should be applied when looking into this kind of incidents.
    Nothing.

How are these working right's being affected?
    It was a general statement about strikes. Working rights, benefits, a better future... in this particular case it isn't about working rights, but nonetheless it's an important cause.

It's this kind of action which creates the "turkey voting for Christmas" scenario. All this does is alienate the people whose support the striking workers need.

More pay, better working conditions, no loss of rights are all very good motives. This one isn't.
    I disagree. They are actually gaining nothing from it themselves. They do it for others. It doesn't get much more selfless and altruistic than that.

I guess it depends on each person, but I very rarely have something against strikes, even when they have directly inconvenienced me. I get the feeling others succumb to a form of 'nimbyism' though. All supportive of workers being properly looked after, but the support stops if it affects them in any way, even for the briefest period.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nice to see the thread played out as predicted.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

They care...about nothing except themselves.

Do you really want to be a lawyer when you're grown up, because you seem pretty narrow minded to me. Your statement above is so one sided and you haven't even bothered to justify it .. wonder how well that snappy argument would work in court :chin:

It looks as if they are already well sorted and they have no need to strike for themselves BUT they choose to do something to help protect those that come after them.

This isn't the same as firemen going on strike .. If anyone's house is so cold that they freeze without the heating being on then they must be very rich to keep it constantly running in winter. In which case they can afford to use any one of the thousands of plumbers and gas engineers in the country who work for themselves.
  • Options
    This isn't the same as firemen going on strike .. If anyone's house is so cold that they freeze without the heating being on then they must be very rich to keep it constantly running in winter. In which case they can afford to use any one of the thousands of plumbers and gas engineers in the country who work for themselves.

My flat would be pretty chilly without heating on.

You don't need to be "very rich" to use the heating in the winter, and it doesn't need to be on constantly, but a day or so with it off would make it very cold indeed. Depends on what you define as very rich, though.

If they've paid for a service/repair contract with British Gas, they why should they spend extra on someone else?
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    If they've paid for a service/repair contract with British Gas, they why should they spend extra on someone else?
    Of course, anyone who spends their hard earned on these 'just in case' plans is probably a bit daft. Those who are disappointed with the service from British Gas should walk with their feet.

Firefighters strikes always make me laugh though because they break their own picket if anyone needs them, thereby proving how underused the service is.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Of course, anyone who spends their hard earned on these 'just in case' plans is probably a bit daft. Those who are disappointed with the service from British Gas should walk with their feet.

It's somewhat like an insurance plan, takes any nasty surprises out of the equation (supposedly). More useful if you have an old shed of a boiler.

Yep, if it's crap, go somewhere else. I've heard nothing good about British Gas support services.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The very nature of strikes means that sometimes punters will be inconvenienced. A sense of proportion and greater good should be applied when looking into this kind of incidents.

It was a general statement about strikes. Working rights, benefits, a better future... in this particular case it isn't about working rights, but nonetheless it's an important cause.

I disagree. They are actually gaining nothing from it themselves. They do it for others. It doesn't get much more selfless and altruistic than that.

I guess it depends on each person, but I very rarely have something against strikes, even when they have directly inconvenienced me. I get the feeling others succumb to a form of 'nimbyism' though. All supportive of workers being properly looked after, but the support stops if it affects them in any way, even for the briefest period.

As man of kent said - there is no need for them to strike - the recruitment process will fix these problems. If removing these pension programs creates a big lack of interest in the sector then they will have to do something in order to get the interest back so they have enough qualified workers ... its not these guys place to strike about it, they just want some more days off :)
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    It's somewhat like an insurance plan, takes any nasty surprises out of the equation (supposedly). More useful if you have an old shed of a boiler.
    But it seems that all you get is their labour, not parts. Am I right? Not a good deal imo, depending on where you live I suppose.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But it seems that all you get is their labour, not parts. Am I right? Not a good deal imo, depending on where you live I suppose.

Oh right. You get a good deal if it's a small part that takes ages to fix ;)
    I'm not sure, I thought it should be parts and labour (maybe there're different levels of service).

I quite like my electric heating, no moving parts apart from the timer.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Oh right. You get a good deal if it's a small part that takes ages to fix ;)
    Good thinking, Batman.

Is electric heating not monstrously expensive? Or is it those awful storage heaters?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Good thinking, Batman.

Is electric heating not monstrously expensive? Or is it those awful storage heaters?

On the other hand, the burner might take the liberty of breaking :p

I think it is quite expensive, because electricity is anyway. But it's quite efficient as it's per room rather than central heating (and it reacts bloody quickly).

It's not storage heaters (thank God), it's those panel convector heaters that hang on the wall like radiators. The flat's in this new conversion of an old mill, and the buggers haven't put gas in :grump: I wouldn't mind apart from the hob taking about 7 years to respond...argh!
  • Options
    Your statement above is so one sided

Yup.

And the job of a lawyer is to be one-sided...
    It looks as if they are already well sorted and they have no need to strike for themselves BUT they choose to do something to help protect those that come after them.

Bollocks.

They've decided to take a few days extra off at Christmas.

I don't blame them for wanting a few days holiday to get the shopping in, but lets not pretend its got anything to do with altruism.
    This isn't the same as firemen going on strike .. If anyone's house is so cold that they freeze without the heating being on then they must be very rich to keep it constantly running in winter.

What a ridiculous statement.

Houses without heating get cold very quickly. And in a time when few have hearths anymore, for many the central heating is the only way to heat.

And its also the only way to get hot water to have a wash.

Yes, this industrial action only affects British Gas. But people pay a lot of money for protection from British Gas, only to have it thrown back in their face. Yep, everyone should vote with their feet, meaning the greedy GMB will lose their jobs.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The very nature of strikes means that sometimes punters will be inconvenienced.

Which kind of negates the "Looking out for one another" arguement. Looking our for oneself - on both sides of the argument - is more appropriate.
    A sense of proportion and greater good should be applied when looking into this kind of incidents.

What "greater good" is at play here?

And I agree with the general principle, hell until recently I had been a union member all my working life.

Doesn't mean that I will support any strike.
  • Options
    Which kind of negates the "Looking out for one another" arguement. Looking our for oneself - on both sides of the argument - is more appropriate.
    No it doesn't. Unions and workers who strike are protecting- in this case- the interest of other workers. It is certainly looking after one another. I really hope you're not suggesting that inconveniencing some customers for 24 hours is of the same importance as securing a decent pension for your retirement.

What "greater good" is at play here?
    See above.

And I agree with the general principle, hell until recently I had been a union member all my working life.

Doesn't mean that I will support any strike.
    That's fair enough. I guess we'll have to disagree on whether this particular strike is justified or not.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Bollocks.

They've decided to take a few days extra off at Christmas.

I don't blame them for wanting a few days holiday to get the shopping in, but lets not pretend its got anything to do with altruism.
    Yes, and when someone strikes in summer it's because it's a nice day and they just want to spend it in the park.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    There's going to be a decent pension anyway. The new scheme, lets remember, remains "one of the best in the market".

If the strike is about something important- such as when the firefighters went on strike to get a fair wage- then I will support it. But I will not support ANY strike, because a lot of strikes are morally repugnant.

This one, like the skiving BA staff in the summer, is morally repugnant.