Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any MP3#s you'd recommend? Sorry if its been on before

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why is everyone like against ipods! :o

Thats why they are like really popular!
  • Options
    probably because they've had bad ratings and the general consensus is that you can get better for less £ and also it seems that you're just paying for the name with ipods.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    do you get all the equipment witht them? like decent headphones and the USB cable?

Yes, but you don't get the adaptor so that you don't need the UBS cable to charge it up. There's also software which I'm not too keen on and use Windows Media Player instead. I personally quite like the headphones and do have another pair which I got with an accessories pack from Amazon. (Which includes a spare battery, neck strap, adaptor, headphones and a 'skin')
  • Options
    I love it! Took some getting used to with the way it works though. Only downside for me is that I've had it for 6 weeks and need to replace the battery because I listen to it far too much... (rechargining the battery up to 2 times a week now)
    thats your own fault thought, the batt will become fucked if you dont let it charge down properlly..
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    thats your own fault thought, the batt will become fucked if you dont let it charge down properlly..

he admitted it was his fault. and where does he say he's not been letting it charge down properlly?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    For good sound get a slightly worse mp3 players and some amazing headphones, it makes all the difference.

or a better idea; get a player with top sound AND get some top headphones. you not heard of the programming expression 'GIGO'? garbage in, garbage out? a shit player with nice headphones isn't gonna sound all that better than a good player with shite headphones.

also remember that the headphones are 'cheap' in comparison to the mp3 player itself, thusly it makes sense to spend on the player and upgrade the headphones later.

i swear, i don't know where some of you fools crawl out from :no:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    or a better idea; get a player with top sound AND get some top headphones. you not heard of the programming expression 'GIGO'? garbage in, garbage out? a shit player with nice headphones isn't gonna sound all that better than a good player with shite headphones.

also remember that the headphones are 'cheap' in comparison to the mp3 player itself, thusly it makes sense to spend on the player and upgrade the headphones later.

I think what he meant was that you'll notice the difference between a good and crap pair of headphones more than you'll notice the difference between a good and crap MP3 player. Because at the end of the day, as good as your MP3 player is, it won't be as good as CD quality anyway because the MP3 format isn't as good quality as CD's. If you had an extra £30 to spend for example, you'd notice a much greater difference spending that money on a decent set of headphones rather than a (marginally) better MP3 player.
  • Options
    he admitted it was his fault. and where does he say he's not been letting it charge down properlly?

I never actua;;y said anything about not letting it charge down properly - I just listen to it an awful lot. I'm a she btw
  • Options
    All this talk of batteries has to lead back to Sony doesn't it? The new Walkman A1000 battery gives you 20 hours AND it's replaceable.
  • Options
    I never actua;;y said anything about not letting it charge down properly - I just listen to it an awful lot. I'm a she btw

oh sorry :blush:
  • Options
    probably because they've had bad ratings and the general consensus is that you can get better for less £ and also it seems that you're just paying for the name with ipods.

But you've got to admit that they look the balls.
  • Options
    lanky wrote:
    All this talk of batteries has to lead back to Sony doesn't it? The new Walkman A1000 battery gives you 20 hours AND it's replaceable.

The Creative Zen Micro battery is also replacable.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

i got my mp3 player for 25 quid, it sounds pretty shit with the headphones there but AMAZING with decent headphones. The players arent really about sound theyre about how much u can fit on and what else u can do with them nowadays, the headphones are where you wanta go for sound.

The reason i said get a cheaper mp3 player is because he said hes on a budget, and there will be little to no difference between mp3 player sound quality unless it is broken or something... hence go for the decent headphones.

ps ive heard of gigo but ure using it in the wrong context :razz:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i got my mp3 player for 25 quid, it sounds pretty shit with the headphones there but AMAZING with decent headphones. The players arent really about sound theyre about how much u can fit on and what else u can do with them nowadays, the headphones are where you wanta go for sound.

The reason i said get a cheaper mp3 player is because he said hes on a budget, and there will be little to no difference between mp3 player sound quality unless it is broken or something... hence go for the decent headphones.

ps ive heard of gigo but ure using it in the wrong context :razz:

*sighs*

one thing, headphones supplied with players are uaually of such poor quality that sticking your finger in the headphone socket will provide better sound. they're only supplied so the thing will actually work so any other headphones over £2.99 will sound better i'm not gonna deny that.

"the players aren't really about sound" to some people maybe... i know if i had a 60gig hdd i'd have a selection of lossless music files on there making them essentially cd quality rather than load of low quality shite i wouldn't listen to anyway. every single person i've met with anything over 5gig has loaded their entire cd collection on the thing, when asked if they listen to all the songs and even if they like all the songs the answer is usually "not really". people are just stupid and have fell for the marketing of "all you music in one place" regardless of the fact they hate half their collection.

if you're saying there's little to no difference in quality of the sound produced from an mp3 player then i'll have to assume you've listened to perhaps 2 players... the difference, although not quite as vast as the tape-cd jump in quality is still sizeable. dump the same mp3 on different players and (using the same headphones) see for yourself...

if he's on a budget then fair enough but you can still acquire a nice player for 100notes.

as for the 'gigo wrong context' comment, it's not though is it? if you feed a shit signal into your headphones (garbage in) then you're hardly gonna improve the signal coming out the other side (garbage out) are you? most headphones just mask the poor quality of naff mp3 encoding, getting a REALLY good pair will just show up these quality issues of a poor player (unless you sacrifice space and use lossless encoding).
  • Options
    tbh i have only listened to about 4 .... mine (£25) two that were £200 and one of those mini ipod things... cant say i noticed much difference in sound, but yes ure right its mainly how theyre encoded.

ps... Before u were saying gigo for just mp3 player and headphones, not about bitrates and stuff :P Now it makes more sense