Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nhs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As Primary Care is my current area of work, I think I need to clarify a few things here…
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    And it's only after 2½ months that I was able to get on top of the waitinglist for both the dermatologist and the rheumatologist.

This doesn’t surprise me, new referrals can wait a maximum of 13 weeks and sadly unless your GP/Consultant think your care is “urgent” then this is the reality of the NHS at the moment.
    I need dermatologic treatment 3 times a week

What sort of intervention are you talking about? Is this something which a doctors “needs” to do, or could someone else offer treatment? Is it something you can do yourself?
    as my arthritis goes through faces where it's either really good or really bad to the point where I can't get out of bed

Which may be why your GP is reluctant to give you more than a short supply of methotrexate.
    the medicine I actually need can only be given by the rheumatologist

In the UK, methotrexate can be given by a GP depending on how it is administered. However, this is not a drug which is automatically provided by GPs but is optional. It comes under the category of “DMARD” – a group of anti-rheumatic drugs – which as I am sure you have been told carry significant potential side effects. That’s why GPs are very careful about prescribing them.
    I went to the GP yesterday and asked for a dosage that would cover the christmas vacation when I go home, and basically she told me that she can't give me that.

I don’t suppose she said why this was, did she? It’s fairly standard for 28-days worth of this drug to be prescribed before you have another blood test to check for side effects.
    I was told that it was my "own problem" and that she hadn't done anything to remove my rights from the Danish healthcare system.

Ah, in the UK this is know has wonderful bedside manner. It’s partly why some GPs should be culled when they leave med school.
    Kentish wrote:
    If the Danish system chucks you out for living abroad, it sounds pretty shit.

Especially when you consider that you can register as a temporary patient with any GP in the UK if you are on holiday…
    =Lu_C] I don't supose going to A&E would mean you got the drugs you needed any quicker? Probably not, but that's the only thing I can think of...

… and it’s really bad advice. A&E is for Accidents and Emergencies, the name is a clue. Wendy’s needs don’t fall into either category. Please remember that attending this department without real need just delays care for those who they should be treating.
    Exept a sore bum and a headache from waiting...

Because so many people have gone there for routine things which they could have seen a GP/Pharmacist for… ;)
    Wyetry wrote:
    NHS is the greatest free healthcare system in the world

Except that it isn’t free. Taxpayers fund it.
    Miffy wrote:
    Still - am I the only one who finds it odd that her G.P. won't prescribe her medication for whilst she's away?

No for the reason I mentioned. This drug has “lethal” side effects and patient should be regularly monitored.

having said that the national treatment guidelines, which apply in the majority of cases, show that 28-days is “normal”…
  • Options
    It’s partly why some GPs should be culled when they leave med school.
    :nervous: :no:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :nervous: :no:

You want to be a GP? :eek:

If so the practice manager will keep you in that nervous state. I'd suggest you come to work in my PCT but I'm not confident we'll be around for much longer ;)
  • Options
    Actually I want to be an obstetrician but I'm sure we can find plenty of reason to hate them too. I can't say I'd be supporting a cull.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Actually I want to be an obstetrician but I'm sure we can find plenty of reason to hate them too. I can't say I'd be supporting a cull.

Funnily enough I have no problem there, but I do have a question for you...

What attracts a man to that job?

Bet you haven't been asked that a million times before, if not, bet you get asked a few million times in the future...!
  • Options
    What attracts a man to that job?
    There's nothing particularly unmanly about O&G or manly about another specialty. For example, most rheumatology patients are female. Breast surgeons will see a lot of women. Why would a woman become a urologist? Of course Obs & Gynae is 99.9% women and that's what sets it apart, but you'd see men in fertility work and as partners of the patients.

What I love about it is the unique mixture of medicine and surgery, the variety of the workload combining the excitement of the labour ward with routine outpatient gynaecology. You can do a lot for your patients, and most will be young, happy and healthy. I can't think of another specialty that provides a similar level of job satisfaction, except maybe general practice in a small practice.

The bad sides are the reaction you display by asking that question, and the litigation.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The bad sides are the reaction you display by asking that question, and the litigation.

Not my reaction, just one of the insider "jokes" which come about because they are heard so often...

A bit like the way that nurses often hear "makes a change to see you with your clothes on" when see on the street and how I often hear jokes about being a NHS manager and having no spine/wearing a grey suit/ability to count beans...
  • Options
    i haven't read the entire thread.
    but i just wanted to say that the NHS suck. - end of. :banghead:
    having said that though everything does depend a lot on where you love in the country.
  • Options
    As Primary Care is my current area of work, I think I need to clarify a few things here…

This doesn’t surprise me, new referrals can wait a maximum of 13 weeks and sadly unless your GP/Consultant think your care is “urgent” then this is the reality of the NHS at the moment.

What sort of intervention are you talking about? Is this something which a doctors “needs” to do, or could someone else offer treatment? Is it something you can do yourself?

Which may be why your GP is reluctant to give you more than a short supply of methotrexate.

In the UK, methotrexate can be given by a GP depending on how it is administered. However, this is not a drug which is automatically provided by GPs but is optional. It comes under the category of “DMARD” – a group of anti-rheumatic drugs – which as I am sure you have been told carry significant potential side effects. That’s why GPs are very careful about prescribing them.

I don’t suppose she said why this was, did she? It’s fairly standard for 28-days worth of this drug to be prescribed before you have another blood test to check for side effects.

Especially when you consider that you can register as a temporary patient with any GP in the UK if you are on holiday…

No for the reason I mentioned. This drug has “lethal” side effects and patient should be regularly monitored.

having said that the national treatment guidelines, which apply in the majority of cases, show that 28-days is “normal”…

The intervention I need for the psoriasis is UVB rays, just needs to be in supervision of a nurse (at least back at home).

I have been on methotraxate almost since I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 3 years ago.
    My doctor from Denmark had written a letter with the dosages and medication I take. It's not as if I just pulled it out of my sleeve and just demanded some weird dosage of an unknown drug.

I went to the rheumatology department at the hospital. The doctor gave me a prescription for 3 months worth of the drug. Furthermore, the arthritis has worsened since I came here, meaning that the doctor is doing all he can do to send me to a physiotherapist within a week and giving me te christmas holiday to think about whether or not I want a stronger drug (with more severe side effects).

Now, I am really really happy that the doctor was so nice and considerate - but I am really disappointed and upset about the rudeness of my GP. While I've experienced crap doctors at home, I've never been spoken to so rudely. Even though things are more or less settled now, thinking about her way of speaking to me can still make me cry.
  • Options
    So the question remains unanswered, is there another GP at this practice you can see, or if not can you change to another practice? Because some doctors are just arseholes, and very unprofessional and there's not a fat lot you can do about it except avoid seeing them or grow a very thick skin.

Glad you got your medication sorted out for the Xmas hols. ;)
  • Options
    why is the nhs so overloaded? is it cause lack of staff? lack of funding? or people thinking they're ill when they're not?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    why is the nhs so overloaded? is it cause lack of staff? lack of funding?

both? plus stuff like old people living longer, unhealthy lifestyles, better care for seriously ill people, who are now surviving much longer than they would have.

the NHS might not be ideal, but it is fair and it is free.

it tends to be individual doctors/departments who ruin people's view of it.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    it is fair and it is free.
    But like the "post code" lottery aspect of it doesn't seem fair.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    But like the "post code" lottery aspect of it doesn't seem fair.

it's fairer than only people with money getting treated, imo.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    So the question remains unanswered, is there another GP at this practice you can see, or if not can you change to another practice? Because some doctors are just arseholes, and very unprofessional and there's not a fat lot you can do about it except avoid seeing them or grow a very thick skin.

Glad you got your medication sorted out for the Xmas hols. ;)

I culd switch. Thing is the one I am seing is the one seing all the Diabetic patients, so I'm automatically assigned to her. So don't really know what to do.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I culd switch. Thing is the one I am seing is the one seing all the Diabetic patients, so I'm automatically assigned to her. So don't really know what to do.
    You could move practice.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    why is the nhs so overloaded?

It isn't, on a daily basis.

It's because we have a backlog which developed over a few years. Since the NHS Plan came out, the NHS has done 15 months work every 12 months so that waiting lists come down. Eventually they will reach an acceptable level and the NHS will be able to maintain it.

That said, the NHS delivers more services now than ever before and that needs more resources. It is one of the biggest employers in the World.
  • Options
    Hey, I tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't work. Just wanted to say that if you want, I can let you know the name of the g.p I see in Sheffield, are you at the university health service? If so, I've had some awful doctors there, but have found a few great ones, so I can let you know.

Really sorry you're finding it so hard at the moment :( I know it's a massive upheaval moving to a new country when you're not very well, but it sounds like the hospital are doing a good job by you now. I always get my methotrexate from them on a 3 month prescription. Anyway, take care of yourself, and pm me if you want me to let you know about the g.p thing :yes:

Tates xxx