Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any MP3#s you'd recommend? Sorry if its been on before

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey.

so I'm giving in and thinking of getting a portable MP3 player. Is there any you'd recommend?

How is the sound on them as well? I mean do they sound good even being so small?

I wouldnt get a massibely expensive one and I can't get an ipod coz I don't have a Mac computer.

Just a reasonably priced, decent sounding MP3 player would do.

Comments

• Options
    I like the new sony one that is out atm, costs about £150 though. What is your price range?
  • Options
    not sure, coz its on my Xmas list so some1 else would be getting for me, tho if they don't I may get one myself.

I think £150 is too much. Less then £100 definately.
  • Options
    I was going to buy the new Sony Walkman for my boyfriend, however it was just a bit out of my price range...Instead I've opted for this:
    clicky

The Sanyo mp3, it's 6GB (same as Sony walkman) just a bit cheaper and looks nice as well.

I have a Philips GoGear one, tis a beaut.
  • Options
    thanks!

it got some good reviews, one dodgy one.

how much is your philips one?
  • Options
    Hold up!

1. You can use a Ipod with microsoft!
    2. Ipods are good!

whats your price range and how much would you be putting on your mp3?
  • Options
    not sure on the amount yet, a few songs I have downlaoded and a few of my albums that I have.

You can use Ipods on microsoft and non-apple macs computers??

Umm, price range, I'd hope for under £100
  • Options
    Ipods are rubbish!
  • Options
    and expensive from what I have seen. I rea da few reviews today and peopel referenced ipods saying they were crap.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    coolme wrote:
    2. Ipods are good!

lies.

Get a creative zen touch. end of discussion.
  • Options
    My first choice would be any by sony. Currently got a sony nw-hd1, its 20GB, great battery and easy to use and good sound. This was the first Sony model so there many newer versions now ou.

If not a sony then any by creative, ive also had one (only 256MB) but still was very good and never had any problems.

I-Pods need to be avoided, ive never seen as much hype around such a poor product
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    not sure on the amount yet, a few songs I have downlaoded and a few of my albums that I have.

You can use Ipods on microsoft and non-apple macs computers??

Umm, price range, I'd hope for under £100

Yes. On Amazon.co.uk they're selling iPods for the PC & Mac. The only difference being is the software. And iPods are rubbish - Creative Zen is much better...
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    thanks!

how much is your philips one?

Here's the wee beast:
    philip

Think it's around the £100 mark, it's fab. Any questions just ask.
  • Options
    scytherchick, have you had any problems with your phillips mp3 player? i was thinking of getting this for christmas but couldn't find any reviews on it. also was sure i saw it for somewhere cheaper than that!
  • Options
    scytherchick, that's like the MP3 player I had before I got my Creative Zen Micro. It's good but wasn't quite big enough for me.
  • Options
    lucifer, the only problem I would point out is that mine's is only 2GB (but then I just wanted one for keeping me amused on the bus in the mornings).
    The software that comes with it is slightly tricky to master if you're technoologically challenged like me, but the drag N drop is really easy once you get the hang of it. Mine came with little colour strips -red, black n blue to match with your outfits etc which was cute too.

No problems, it has survived a fair few knocks n tumbles too.

By the way, creative Zen was the other one i was looking at (if i hadnt already bought the sanyo)
  • Options
    i had the bigger version of that philips hdd... the 120 iirc and it was gash. software was rubbish, the sound quality was poor (even with some top class headphones) and the battery life was weak too.

got shot of that asap and bought a cd player which'll play mp3/wma tracks too, and pocketed the difference.

the issues i had with the philips are non-existant. you only need a cd ripper (cdex is the shit), sound quality is top notch (even better with good headphones) and the battery life is about 40+ hours (the '10' of the hdd wouldn't last me a day at work, lame).

my player is a panasonic slct something or other, costs about £100 but you should be able to get it cheaper if you shop around. only thing is it's not an ipod or an alike and therefore isn't as 'cool'.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Hold up!

1. You can use a Ipod with microsoft!
    2. Ipods are good!

whats your price range and how much would you be putting on your mp3?

Yeah, you don't need a Mac to get an ipod.

I don't know about other ipods but I have a nano and the sound quality is top. Unfortunately the battery only last about six hours on full but it's still classy and dinky if you fancy one.
  • Options
    so MP3's you only have to plug them in to your comp and then downlaod the songs on your comp to your MP3 right?

How does the battery work I mean do you have to buy batteries for them?

Can you just plug in and go?
  • Options
    scytherchick, that's like the MP3 player I had before I got my Creative Zen Micro. It's good but wasn't quite big enough for me.

is the creative zen micro any good? this is the one i'll probably get but i've spent too long fannying around now that i probably won't get one till after christmas. :(

i think i'm going to wait till after christmas now 'cause they seem to have gone up in price... :(
  • Options
    I fucking love my iPod and I won't head bad words against it.

One word of advice, avoid anything with Archos on the front. Those things are hunks of crap if ere I saw one. Avoid.
  • Options
    is the creative zen micro any good? this is the one i'll probably get but i've spent too long fannying around now that i probably won't get one till after christmas. :(

i think i'm going to wait till after christmas now 'cause they seem to have gone up in price... :(

The onlt things that put me off the Zen were all the complaints made about battery life and the dodgy headphones. But a lot of people replace the ones supplied with the product with their own anyway.

And you have to keep in mind that manufacturers are usually optimistic about battery life anyway. I'm hapy enough with my philips, but for a good 12+ hour battery life, save up and buy a Sony.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    so MP3's you only have to plug them in to your comp and then downlaod the songs on your comp to your MP3 right?

How does the battery work I mean do you have to buy batteries for them?

Can you just plug in and go?

You transfer existining MP3's/WMA's/AAC's (in the case of the ipod) from your computer to your mp3 player, yes.

Most mp3 players come with a rechargable, none replacable battery. A few you can use batteries in. Most of them you charge from your PC's power via USB, and most as far as I know you can get power adaptors and in car adaptors for too (though the ipod charger is a rip off - £30!).
  • Options

I love it! Took some getting used to with the way it works though. Only downside for me is that I've had it for 6 weeks and need to replace the battery because I listen to it far too much... (rechargining the battery up to 2 times a week now)
  • Options
    that's a bit dodgy that you have to replace it after so soon just 'cause you've used it too much. they're made to be used, surely!
  • Options
    that's a bit dodgy that you have to replace it after so soon just 'cause you've used it too much. they're made to be used, surely!

I can be listening to it for anything up to 5 hours hours a day at least 5 days a week though - so it's not that surprising that I need to replace the battery. With mine I got a USB cable which also charges the player up whilst transfering files. I do also have the power adaptor.
  • Options
    do you get all the equipment witht them? like decent headphones and the USB cable?
  • Options
    i know sometimes the headphones are a bit sub-standard and think a lot of people buy their own. but each to their own, it depends which one you get and what you want out of your headphones.
  • Options
    I'd wnat headphones that you can hear the music clearly in.
  • Options
    As someone said...the headphones that come with them are crap.

For good sound get a slightly worse mp3 players and some amazing headphones, it makes all the difference.
  • Options
    wow. I never thought there would be so much to it!