Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving up smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, I'm being a support partner to someone who is giving up smoking - just wondering if anybody has any advice or can direct me to good websites!

Comments

• Options
    i personally think its best to do it with will power alone. having said that im still a smoker, but i have quit before, but started again. i will be quitting again when ive ran out of my cheap imports.
  • Options
    Some people find it extremely hard, some don't.

Nicotine is a very addictive drug. Personally I've found it easy to quit when I'm sober, but when drunk I just need to smoke a few ciggies.
  • Options
    Also, move to 'rollies' first if you are on ordinary cigarettes ... they are less harmful and have less addictive chemicals .... then after a month or so, try and give up then ... you'll have less withdrawl symptoms ...
  • Options
    Once you are determined to give up its won't be all that hard. I found the first day the worst. I used the lozenges. They worked for me.
  • Options
    if your partner is stuggling to quit reassure him that u are behind them everystep of the way and that you are very very proud of them, partners always love to hear that
  • Options
    smoking do harm to one's health. i suppot what you r doing
  • Options
    I think people can only beat smoking if they want to do it for themselves. Rollies are easier to give up from so I'd say that's a good idea, but the only way anyone can give up is for themself, I don't think you can really help apart from trying to talk sense into them. Ultimately I reckon it's down to the individual though.
  • Options
    took me 7 tries. just keep telling yourself that smoking is not sexy,if anything its ugly....... like honestly, who wants to kiss a ciggerette, let alone a smoker...... :sour:
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    hi, I'm being a support partner to someone who is giving up smoking - just wondering if anybody has any advice or can direct me to good websites!

Tis is a tip from a non smoking website

Fill a jar with water, and put all you're fag ends in it and after you have about 15 fag ends in it put the lid on and from then on when you need a fag just take the lid off and smell the jar.

http://www.quitsmokingmethods.com/
  • Options