Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bereavement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crying: :crying: Coping With Bereavement :crying: :crying:

I was just wondering how long it takes to stop bereaving, and for the pain to Clear up???

You see a year ago last Friday i lost my Daughter, and it is getting me very depressed at the moment, and i never have felt like i really i got over her death!!!

I cant carry on feeling like this i have spoken to my dr and she said i just need to come to terms with it, and that i am surrering with some form of post natal depression but i cant get over the depression without coming to terms with the event.

But i cant come to terms with the event because shes all i think about, and i feel almost suicidal.

CAn someone please help me i dont know what im doing anymore

Thank you For reading this

Kitten
XXXXX

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear that kittenk89. I takes people different amounts of time to grieve and feel that they have got over the initial bereavement, but obviously this depends on your personality and whether the death was expected etc.

What happened to your daughter?
  • Options
    My daughter was lost a few months before my Due date so i hate to give birth to a small baby, i have misscarriages before an they havnt affected me as much but i saw her i think which caused the problems
  • Options
    *edit*
  • Options
    *edit*
  • Options
    Were you offered any counselling after your baby died?

I think you should seek bereavement counselling or find a close friend and run through exactly what it is you find upsetting and then find a way to move forward. Easier said than done, but it would help to speak to someone in person.
  • Options
    i was but im only 16 now and i dont wanna sound like a slut, and i didnt want my mum to find out, i already have had councillors and a social workers but i cudnt talk to them, and i didnt take the help i just wanted to get ot of there, iv talked to friends and the father but they dont like talkin about it as they dont want to upset me because they are worried about my mental state
  • Options
    I just posted something in the 'Relationships' forum about bereavement although a very different situation to yours. Feel free to have a look though if you want someone else's thoughts on it.

I don't think you ever exactly stop grieving, but you learn to accept it and move on. You mustn't try just to forget those feelings - how could you? Instead you just need to learn to cope with the pain and allow yourself to grieve without letting it consume you. It is perfectly natural for you still to have feelings of grief one, two, even ten or fifty years later. The important thing is that you can carry on with your life yet still give yourself time to mourn when you need to, even if that's years and years after the death.

I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you but you have been very brave getting through it this far and you just need to keep giving yourself the strength to battle on. It will get better, but that doesn't mean you ever need to forget about it or bury those feelings.

Many sympathies.
  • Options
    No one will pass judgement on you or call you a slut. You have as much right to counselling as anybody else. Most GP practices offer counselling services with trained counsellors, and won't tell your mum unless you ask them to.
  • Options
    Have you tried phoning the Samaritans or a similar service? I never thought it was something I would do, but then one night I was feeling incredibly low after my bereavement and had no one to talk to and I just found myself calling them. They recommended their nearest drop-in centre to me too, so if you need some unjudgemental counselling they might be a good place to turn.
  • Options
    i know that now, but i dont want to admit i have problems to the people that no me and i ahv a few issues as it is so they have to no wot im doing and where im going all the time...... i cant escape i feel trapped an i no its the best thing for me but i just cant tell them
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've lost 3 of my closet mates within 10 months and with every loss it seemed to get easier and easier to handle - however bad that may sound.

In August however, I lost my mum to cancer and it was something completely different. It was devasting though I think I still havn't been able to fully comprehend it yet. I just get on with things.

It may not be a good idea to ignore or shy away from it, but it's certainly a good idea to keep yourself busy and carry on with your life.

At the end of the day everyone handle it differently. There's not a great deal of advice you can give in situations like this. It is up to you how you deal with it I'm afraid.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    you've had miscarriages before and you're only 16?
  • Options
    looking at your previous posts i would say that how u feel now is about more than losing a baby. If you really feel that counselling isn't for you and you are unable to open up then maybe your GP can suggest something else (although im not really sure what)

as you say in your other posts that you have self harmed and suffered abuse since you were 11 i would think that there's other stuff you need to deal with besides this before your life can move forward - that maybe it's not just the miscarriages that are stopping you from being happy. i could be wrong though.

And ballerina, don't judge people so quickly.
  • Options
    And ballerina, don't judge people so quickly.
    im sorry i didn't know if id understood correctly or not, because quite frankly i'd be very concerned about a girl who is saying shes had several miscarriages and shes only 16
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I've lost 3 of my closet mates within 10 months and with every loss it seemed to get easier and easier to handle - however bad that may sound.

In August however, I lost my mum to cancer and it was something completely different. It was devasting though I think I still havn't been able to fully comprehend it yet. I just get on with things.

It may not be a good idea to ignore or shy away from it, but it's certainly a good idea to keep yourself busy and carry on with your life.

At the end of the day everyone handle it differently. There's not a great deal of advice you can give in situations like this. It is up to you how you deal with it I'm afraid.

:yes: like he said, I think keeping yourself busy helps, it's not something you can just ignore or forget, but you can focus on what you're doing and try not to dwell... you will be able to get on with things fine in time. Though i dont know how it feels to lose a child so maybe its entirely different from what ive experienced.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    im sorry i didn't know if id understood correctly or not, because quite frankly i'd be very concerned about a girl who is saying shes had several miscarriages and shes only 16

I don't think that's really the time and place to bring that up in this thread really, she's asking for help not to be judged.

As lisa simpsons saxophone said, you might find it easier to talk to someone over the phone rather than in person, where no ones going to judge you. The number for the samartains is 08457 90 90 90. Are you still at school/college? Because you may find that they offer a councilling service there if you can't face talking it over with your doctor.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I don't think that's really the time and place to bring that up in this thread really, she's asking for help not to be judged.
    i never judged her, im worried about her because having several miscarriages so young isn't going to do any favours
    i think she said she was raped once which caused her to get pregnant in another thread i think - so can you blame me for being concerned?
    my mum had an abortion which was more or less a forced miscarriage ages ago before i was around (its brain was developing right or something so she had to go into labour really really early so it was kind of like a forced miscarriage if that makes sense?)
    then she miscarried again after being in a car crash :( she doesn't like to talk about it cause i think she'd rather forget it ever happened. I've never had one and no one else i know has as far as i know so i don't really know what its like.
    But i will say what everyone else has....bottling it all up is not the way to go because eventually you will burst and break down. Try some help lines that will give you advice...i know smaritans just ask you questions about how you feel and don't give advice. Or try something creative?
  • Options
    Ballerina - I realise you're not judging, I'm also sure the gal knows that having miscarriages so young doesn't benefit her either. I appreciate that someone should be concerned with that issue but like, dealing with the topic in hand is more important in this instance as she came to ask about bereavement, not to raise another issue around the similar subject.

In terms of bereavement...people do deal with it in different ways. I tend to be immune to the mourning process till a long time after when I'm suddenly hit by it. Though talking to someone who knows you will feel more 'comfortable', speaking to a counsellor would be more beneficial in terms of receiving help and advice to help you through.

Here is thesite's page on Dealing With Death

Malt x
  • Options
    A lost child....

My girlfriend lost a baby at 4 months when her ex-husband kicked her in the stomach. She had to carry the dead baby (a girl) inside her for 5 months and give birth to her at the end of the term. He went off to watch football on TV while she went through that...

You will obviously never, ever forget a lost child. Everyone understands that. All I can tell you, based on what I've seen, is that over the years the hurt will start to fade a little more. This will become slightly easier if things work out for you in the future and you have healthy kids to love and hold and take up your time.

Don't give in to depression. Life has a lot to offer.
  • Options
    Tool wrote:
    My girlfriend lost a baby at 4 months when her ex-husband kicked her in the stomach. She had to carry the dead baby (a girl) inside her for 5 months and give birth to her at the end of the term.
    :confused: :no:
  • Options
    Tool wrote:
    My girlfriend lost a baby at 4 months when her ex-husband kicked her in the stomach. She had to carry the dead baby (a girl) inside her for 5 months and give birth to her at the end of the term.

i dont want to argue with you because i know this isnt the point of the thread but this would never happen and saying something like that could scare people. ive suffered a missed miscarriage (where the baby dies but your body doesnt abort the pregnancy naturally) and i was taken into hospital within a fortnight. i very much doubt thats true.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    i dont want to argue with you because i know this isnt the point of the thread but this would never happen and saying something like that could scare people. ive suffered a missed miscarriage (where the baby dies but your body doesnt abort the pregnancy naturally) and i was taken into hospital within a fortnight. i very much doubt thats true.

Well I'm sorry you don't believe me, but it's true. For medical reasons, she had to go full term with the baby and deliver it naturally.
  • Options
    Tool wrote:
    Well I'm sorry you don't believe me, but it's true. For medical reasons, she had to go full term with the baby and deliver it naturally.
    Didn't mean to call her a liar but I find it hard to imagine a scenario where they would advise that. It's a major infection risk, if nothing else.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Didn't mean to call her a liar but I find it hard to imagine a scenario where they would advise that. It's a major infection risk, if nothing else.

They couldn't bring themselves to tell her the baby was definitely dead, which she suspected. Only later would they confirm it, by which time it was too late.
    I don't feel we should get side-tracked like this on what is an important thread.
  • Options
    After 5 months? I think there's more to that story than what you've said.

Anyway, let's stick to the topic.
  • Options
    im sorry, i dont disbelieve you but i was just pointing out that stories like that can scary people. they mustnt of known the baby was dead because i find it hard to believe that doctors wouldnt tell her becuase they couldnt bring themselves to, its kinda part of the job, and labour can be induced at any point or she could have had the foetus 'removed', so they wouldnt need to wait until she was full term if they'd known the baby was dead beforehand. as kentish said theres a risk of major infection, doctors even advised me not to wait as long as i did and that was less than 2 weeks. i dont want to get sidetracked as you said but young girls read these boards and the thought of that is terrifying for anyone. im very sorry to hear about what your girlfriend went through, i know what a horrible experience it is.
  • Options
    I understand plz i believe him from personal reasons as someone mentioned earlier when i was raped i lost the baby at around 7 months but they cant be definate for at least another month and i had to for go the rest of the pregnancy...........

Thank you for the help, iv tried samaritans, and my school dosnt hav a councillor, iv seen the in the past but i cant talk to people i dont know

For now i am going to try and push through alone, but i dont know where that will get me,

For other reasons and that does anyone know where i can get a councillor for free and if it can be in skool time i cant risk my mum finding out????
  • Options
    Tool wrote:
    They couldn't bring themselves to tell her the baby was definitely dead, which she suspected. Only later would they confirm it, by which time it was too late.
    I don't feel we should get side-tracked like this on what is an important thread.

If the baby was dead then surely it wouldn't keep growing to full term? I don't quite understand but I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't quite understand what you mean. But yes you're right we shouldn't get side tracked!
  • Options
    kittenk89 wrote:
    For other reasons and that does anyone know where i can get a councillor for free and if it can be in skool time i cant risk my mum finding out????

As I suggested earlier, Samaritans may have a drop-in centre near you where you can have a face-to-face chat with one of their volunteers? It's not a trained counsellor as far as I know but it might be a start.
  • Options
    If the baby was dead then surely it wouldn't keep growing to full term?
    thats what i thought