Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just went you thought the US government couldn't be more odious and repugnant...

... along come the illegal torture camps across Eastern Europe and elsewhere:
According to the Post, the CIA operated a network of secret prisons or "black sites" in eight countries at various times, including several in eastern Europe. Since 9/11, the agency, often working with foreign partners, had captured an estimated 3,000 people, including several key al-Qaida leaders. Members of the rendition group would blindfold suspects, cut off their clothes, and administer an enema and sleeping drugs. They would transfer prisoners to one of the CIA's covert sites or to a detention facility in a friendly country - in Afghanistan, Central Asia or the Middle East.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1657839,00.html

See also: Cuntolezza Rice defends US' treatment of ''prisoners''

Just a thought... on another threat there was some debate about possible similarities between contemporary USA and the USSR.

Well here's another one to add to the list: the use of satellite countries for political and logistical reasons. It seems that the likes of Poland liked so much being a little meaningless puppet of a superpower for decades they have now agreed to become a puppet for another superpower. :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The US want the Ukraine to beocme more westernised (and hence support the new leader) so they can bung some bases right next to Russia...

But yeah, these secret prisony camp things are quite nasty. Well, this will furthur alienate the Middle East I daresay. As if they needed anymore...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its nothing new. The CIA have done what they wanted for years in a variety of ways. Its not surprising.

I guess the difference between the USA and other countries brutal methods is that the USA try and keep theirs secret, while the others do it openly..
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Its nothing new. The CIA have done what they wanted for years in a variety of ways. Its not surprising.

I guess the difference between the USA and other countries brutal methods is that the USA try and keep theirs secret, while the others do it openly..

The USA try and keep it secret the others do
  • Options
    Every country does this stuff, Black-ops camps have always been running. I bet the US had loads before 9/11 and have just been making more since.
  • Options
    It seems we have one of these threads every other week. Nothing that country does surprises me anymore.
  • Options
    Someone should perform a citizen's arrest on that nice lady Ms. Rice before she leaves Europe.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Someone should perform a citizen's arrest on that nice lady Ms. Rice before she leaves Europe.

Gimme a sec! That is a bloody good idea. *Disapeers into the night* If I show up in one of those Eastern European Jails... well.. it's been nice knowing you!
  • Options
    Nah, just pop round to Brixton and grab some lads to help take out the Secret Servicemen and clear the way for you. ;)
  • Options
    Two words people - Diplomatic Immunity!

Look through the looking glass here people, all this war on terror, torture camps and Rebublican election rigging is all part of a much larger "shadow government" of the world conspiracy! It is all run by the RAND corporation in league with the tobacco industries!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

But the sad thing about Condoleeza Rice is that she is a very intelligent, articulate woman. I mean, not only is she a very accomplished classical pianist, she went to college aged about 15 and has God-knows how many degrees.

But what amazes me is why she works for the Republicans. I read somewhere that she saw, as a child, a black guy being lynched by the KKK or some other violent white-supremacist organisation and that she grew up in the deep south where white supremacist feeling is the strongest. So why, as an intelligent black woman, go and work for those type of people?

Bizarre - I would have had her down as a Democrat if I didn't know better.
  • Options
    But historically it was Southern Democrats who were the the ones on the side of the KKK.
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    Born Stupid misses the mark yet again, not once but twice in a row! Bravo.

FYI, BS, Poland is far cozier under the sheets with Washington than it is with the EU, especially with the recent rise to power of its right-wing minority government leader, Marcinkiewicz.

Mustve slipped past your slippy radar, obviously.
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    But the sad thing about Condoleeza Rice is that she is a very intelligent, articulate woman. I mean, not only is she a very accomplished classical pianist, she went to college aged about 15 and has God-knows how many degrees.
    Yes I know.

Then again, most senior Nazis were highly intelligent, educated people.

It takes all sorts...
  • Options
    You just want to chain her to the kitchen sink, don't you? Racist.
    You're a pathetic boy Born Slippy. But a funny one. :)
  • Options
    FYI, BS...

Hmm... just noticed his initials... have we been had?! :lol:

As for Intelligence, Lemmy of Motorhead is very intelligent... intelligencce is no representation of anything except, intelligence, really.
    Wheeeee wrote:
    she is part of the Republican government who have no idea what they are doing or talking about.

So she fits right in. :)
  • Options
    You just want to chain her to the kitchen sink, don't you? Racist.

I agree. How sad that a country who suffered for so long and strived hopelessly for independence should swallow its hard earned pride and crawl into bed with that most ghastly puppeteer, the European Union.
    do i spy more than one person posting here?
    the first bit is very BS ...but the next bit ...born slippys dad?
  • Options
    Honestly, does it surprise you at that the CIA has these things?
    The Cia and us government back south american paramilitary groups with money, training, and supplies. These guys will teach you how to torcher, rape, kill, maime. If it is 'In the favor of freedom' they get away with it. Hell, the ex head of the CIA has come out and said that the CIA is a major drug runner, and another guy named Gary web has writen much about the CIAs shadier side.
  • Options
    Is it really so much to ask that our fucking government actualy live up to the standards that it has set for itself!? God damn politicians, we really need to throw them the fuck out of our country.
  • Options
    well people have the right to choose who they want to be with and support.

Its funny. The Democrats are seen as great on domestic issues, and they are, nut not on foreign policy while the Republicans are seen aseen as crap on domestic policy, and they are, but great on foreign policy, yet this republlcian government has recieved incredible amounts of critism of their policies.

Oh well, way of the world.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    while the Republicans are seen aseen as crap on domestic policy, and they are, but great on foreign policy, yet this republlcian government has recieved incredible amounts of critism of their policies.
    I've never met a single person in my life who suggested any Republican government in history was any good in foreign policy.

Why, they've started more illegal wars and supported more brutal dictators and paramilitary death squads than anyone else in living memory.
  • Options
    Americans have always viewed the Repblicans as better leaders in foreign policy, they are seen as strong and uncomprimising, the Democrats don't have that reputation, even though they have done fairly well on foerign policy when they have been in office.

Its quite ironic, When Clinton was in power, he was criticised for not interfering enough in other countries affairs and Bush is criticised for interfering constantly (possibly by the same people that critcised clinton for not interfering?).
  • Options
    So you are actually claiming Americans think that good foreign policy is... starting Wars and not ever finishing the job? Alot of americans would disagree...

The current lot are bad domestically and in foreign policy terms.
  • Options
    I don't disagree that the currrent administration are a bad lot.

But historically, thats how the 2 parties have been been view'd over there.
  • Options
    Regan was seen as fantastic on Foreign policy even though he invaded Grenada and there was the Iran-Contra affair, then Bush Snr in Iraq One was seen as doing a god job.

Clinton got criticised for not sending in waves of troops to interfere in the Balkan Wars.

Hillary Clinton for President people! Clinton/Edwards in 2008!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Regan was seen as fantastic on Foreign policy even though he invaded Grenada and there was the Iran-Contra affair, then Bush Snr in Iraq One was seen as doing a god job.

Clinton got criticised for not sending in waves of troops to interfere in the Balkan Wars.

Hillary Clinton for President people! Clinton/Edwards in 2008!

a former cia guy said the extreme rendition of suspects began under clinton, clinton was good fiscally as a president, not much else really as he was a load of hot air
  • Options
    I still say Clinton/Edwards in 2008! WooooHoooooo!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I've never met a single person in my life who suggested any Republican government in history was any good in foreign policy.
    That's because you've probably never talked to one of those neo-con types that think Reagan single handedly brought down the Berlin wall.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I still say Clinton/Edwards in 2008! WooooHoooooo!
    If that is the best the Dem's can come up with in 08, I am voting green party.