Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Movie Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What have you watched recently? How do you rate it? What are you dying to see?

Watched this week:

Centre Stage (2001/ Nicholas Hytner) *7*
Monsters Ball (2001/ Marc Foster) *need to watch again*
Bowling For Columbine (2002/ Michael Moore) *7.5*
Cruel Intentions 2 (2000/ Roger Kumble) *1*- this was sooo painful to watch, I ttok the DVD out of drive to check that I hadn't picked up a spoof or something! The rating on IMDB was obviously bumfed by pervy blokes and idiots, grrrrrr.
Wallace And Gromit, 3 Cracking Adventures *4* Not an animation fan- daughter made me watch this
The Boy In The Plastic Bubble (1976/ Randal Kleiser) *8.5* We love this and watch it at least once a week
Eight Legged Freaks (2002/Ellory Elkayem) *2.5* It's rubish but not as rubbish as CI2 so bumfed the score up a bit for distinction. Again, not my choice- six year old daughter's!
Santa Clause 2 ^ see above!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    2.5 for 8-legged freaks? The movie is class. It's not meant to be serious or anything. Watch it again with the view of seeing it as an kinda piss-take come tribute for B-Class movies in the 60's.

Movies I've watched recently.

Wallace and Grommit Curse of the WereRabbit - First ever W&G production I've seen and I actually enjoyed it. 7/10

Goblet of Fire - Not bad. I thought it was a bit long and didn't really flow that well. It seemed that the boring bits were only there to pad out the movie. The eefects were good but didn't think it was as good as the earlier ones. 6/10

War of the Worlds - Loved this. I thought the scale of the movie was massive. And Cruise didn't spoil it by being all 'Tom Cruise'. The only thing that spoiled it for me was the ending (Not gonna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it) but the VERY end was too Hollywood for me. Anyone who has seen it will knoe what I mean. 8.5/10
  • Options
    Subjected to eight legged freaks again this afternoon- you're right, I'm so missing something there... No director could've intended the way I recieve it!
  • Options
    Recent viewings:

Madagasgar: 0.05. I am angry that I will never get that time of my life back, yet relieved that I will never have to sit through such a load of bollocks ever again. I am a fan of animated films, of all kinds, but that was tripe.

Flightplan: 4. The storyline was about conceivable, the acting was mediocre, and the special effects were amature. On the whole though, it kept me "amused" during work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Wallace and Gromit - The Curse of the Werewolf: 8. Cracking film, highly enjoyable, another classic from crew at Aardman Animations. Almost as good as The Wrong Trousers, but not quite ;)

Ohh, and as for Eight Legged Freaks... you need to have watched "horror" classics such as Arachnophobia, or preferably even older like Kingdom of Spiders from the 70s to really get the satire that it is bathed in.
  • Options
    O.K. Well I watched Monsters Ball again and it jars in my mind that he takes her home from the hospital- does anyone else feel this?
  • Options
    I bought 2 DVDs today, The Stepford Wives and the original Freaky Friday, which I saw a long time ago and absolutely love! Haven't been to the cinema in a while, so I am a bit out of touch with recent stuff. Not really dying to see anything at the moment, although I guess I will end up seeing Harry Potter at some point.
  • Options
    A series of Unfortunate Events- 5
    Creep- 4.5
    Thirteen-4.5
  • Options
    On the Thunderstruck 5 T scale...

Ali - T - utter toss. Turned it off after 20 minutes.

Ray - TTTTT - fucking amazing film. Brilliant acting, brilliant soundtrack. Just a great film

Maria Full of Grace - TTT - good promise and a good plot but never really gets going

Y Tu Mama Tambien - TTTT - really good film. Funny, emotional and very enjoyable.

Ratas, Ratones y Ratoneros - TTT - Ecuadorian film. Quite good in parts and a very accurate depiction of the Ecuadorian people on the whole.

The Aviator - TTT - fucking long and a bit of a wanky ending but apart from that, a good film.

Wallace & Gromit - TTTT - watched it in Spanish so couldn't enjoy the accents sadly. But still a very funny film.

That's all from me folks. See you next time.
  • Options
    I'm glad you gave Ray 5 T's. I've been wanting to watch it for ages, but was worried after some recent reviews that it would be shite. But I agree with your comments on Ali and The Aviator, so hopefully we have similar taste in cinema Señor Contentious...
  • Options
    Well my Gibraltan pana, it would appear so. Ali was just so dump. I resent having paid $2 for the DVD. Aviator was pretty good. I'm told I look like him after he turns mad and locks himself in his cinema room. I think it must be the beard...

Watch Ray now. It's fucking amazing. Jamie Fox deserves all the plaudits he gets for that. It truly is a remarkable film.
  • Options
    I saw the making of, and Jamie Fox actually got to meet Ray Charles when making the film. Im gonna get my hands on it this weekend :)

ps. it's GibraltaRIAN ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Paleface
    ;p It was funny.
  • Options
    Eul Grepus wrote:
    ps. it's GibraltaRIAN ;)
    Or British ;)
  • Options
    I made the terrible, terrible mistake of going to see Elizabethtown last week. I blame the liquid lunch. I'd advise anyone and everyone to steer well clear.

The Corpse Bride was a strange one. I definitely enjoyed it, but it just didn't measure up to The Nightmare Before Christmas. I think my expectations were too high, but it was good.

I rented Kinsey recently, thought it was very well acted and...fairly interesting.

I watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane for the first time ever about a month ago, and although 'I've written a letter to Daddy' has been the soundtrack to my nightmares ever since - I thought it was really excellent.
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    I bought 2 DVDs today, The Stepford Wives and the original Freaky Friday, which I saw a long time ago and absolutely love! Haven't been to the cinema in a while, so I am a bit out of touch with recent stuff. Not really dying to see anything at the moment, although I guess I will end up seeing Harry Potter at some point.

What do you think of Stepford wives then? and have you seen the origonal? I saw this at the cinema, can't remember what I'd rate it but I would watch it again so it's above a five...
  • Options
    Kung Fu Hustle- Really enjoyed this. Surprisingly funny and different for a kung fu flick. mixes loony toon style comedy with kick ass moves, well worth watching for a bit of fun.
  • Options
    (what we doing? out of 10?)

A History of Violence - probably the most pro-violence film ever dressed up as an anti-violence flick. No Videodrome but still flies through at a hectic pace 7*

Devil's Rejects - Bonnie and Clyde for the 00s - 9*

Downfall - Amazing acting, but utterly miserable - not that I was expecting Springtime for Hitler 2 - 7*

The Aristocrats - Rude, funny, but way too long - the movie gets 6*, Gilbert Gottfied 10*

The Descent - One day all horror movies will be made this way 8*

Land of the Dead - Oh, George, were you really ever talented? 5*
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    What do you think of Stepford wives then? and have you seen the origonal? I saw this at the cinema, can't remember what I'd rate it but I would watch it again so it's above a five...

I haven't actually watched it yet... will update once I have :)
  • Options
    Lord of War (link) with nicholas cage. get's an 8 from me, Cage plays a gun runner being chased by an interpol agent. I quite enjoyed it but i'm a bloke...

Doom (link) although I watched a crap copy I give it a 6, it was better than what I expected it to be like. Bit resident-evil esque though!

The Island (link) with Scarlett Johansson et al was a good film, Saw it a few months ago.. Matrix styleee, without the computers. Was brill ;) Mate hated it though 7.5
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    The Descent - One day all horror movies will be made this way 8*

Highly recommended then? I read a couple of online reviews who slated it.
  • Options
    Troy - 7

Untouchables - 7

Scarface - 9
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Lord of War (link) with nicholas cage. get's an 8 from me, Cage plays a gun runner being chased by an interpol agent. I quite enjoyed it but i'm a bloke...

I absoutly loved that movie. Watched it last night. It was a make-you-thinker. I shall recomend it to all.
  • Options
    My recent watch list....

Thirteen - 7/10 - Sometimes you can't grasp what they're thinking or actually doing, but I love the fact that it shows that teens need some help and care sometimes.

Raising Helen - 9.5/10 - I love this. I'm not even sure why. I just love it. It's really easy to watch without getting confused, but yet doesn't have a typical chick flick story line (well it has the BASICS.... just things that aren't normally included as well)

Wallace And Gromit - 8/10 - Heehee, I've never really watched Wallace and Gromit before, but I'm ashamned to say I watched it on a copy and thats the only reason I saw it. My dad broke into a car for the police (it's part of his job don't worry) and he was rewarded by being told 'take as many as you like'. But it was really good and I'd definetly watch it again. I like Wallace's love intrest *names gone out of my head - Lady Totty or someting*

The 40 year old Virgin - 6/10 - another copy, so maybe this affected my view, but seemed to drag a bit. The story line is good, but it really began to irritate me after a while. There were some good laughs though (even the audience on the copy were laughing ;))

Films I'd like to see? Well, I've bought House of Wax and that sits upstairs waiting for me, but the box scared me out of watching it alone (am a wimp)
  • Options
    Highly recommended then? I read a couple of online reviews who slated it.

A superb horror film, one that despite the B movie concept manages to create a real sense of dread and terror in the early sections. This is rapidly replaced with a knowing sense of survival. These aren't little lost girls but rather a group of women whose own personal conflicts are just as important as the monsters they face.

By the final reel, as the blood stained and deranged heroine stands aloft, you know you've been dragged into a world where anything is justified and every action is allowed. A truely great piece of survival horror - and one that shows how weak films like Dawn of the Dead really are when viewed through modern eyes.

Ignore how weak the supporting characters are, ignore the bullshit plot twists that simple push the players into danger - this is all about the danger of the unknown, the terrible fear that there really is a bogey man out there, and more than, that it's about how people choose to act when faced with those monsters.

It's nearly all filmed in darkness, shadows mean more than what they seem and it leaves you scared and confused - a great horror film in an age of dull remakes and shitty popcorn movies - two thumbs up - two severed thumbs way fucking up.

(that do you ninja?)
  • Options
    Don't listen to Jim. Grave of the Fireflies is crap. Sorry.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    (that do you ninja?)

Your talents are wasted here Mr V :) I shall be trying to get my hands on a rental copy this evening.
  • Options
    most recent movies i have seen were "broken Flowers" - was recommended it because of the director Jim Jarmusch, but I have to say it was one of the single most boring films I have EVER seen in my life.
    I then saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which was reasonable, I mean it had Robert Downey Junior in it which is always a plus in my eyes ;) but cant really remember what it was about so that says a lot.
    Saw the exorcism of Emily Rose last night which was OK, but not worth paying for cinema tickets for - should have been a made-for TV movie. I expected it to be scary and it really wasnt, or anything much - still, it whiled away a couple of hours.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Lord of War

The Island (link) with Scarlett Johansson et al was a good film, Saw it a few months ago.. Matrix styleee, without the computers. Was brill ;) Mate hated it though 7.5

Yay, thanks for this link. looks like just my sort of film, don't know how I missed it (head in sand eh?). Top of the wish list now... :)
  • Options
    The Longest Yard (1974) - Mean Machine with Vinnie Jones was based on this flick, obviously though, this one is based around American football, not our great game. With Burt Reynolds, Ed Lauter, Michael Conrad and Richard Kiel, who many of you will recognise as Jaws from the 007 series. - 7/10

The Longest Yard (2005) - A remake of the 1974 classic, in which even Burt Reynolds makes a cameo appearance. Chris Rock takes on the role as Caretaker as Adam Sandler plays the main character. Not as good as the original, by a long shot, but good all round, with Steve Austin and Goldberg (of WWF/WWE/WCW/etc fame) also making an appearance. - 6/10
  • Options
    don't really seem to watch that many films these days but anyways

harry potter and goblet of fire - very good
    i robot - good, better than i expected
    Wallace and Grommit - good
    The hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy - weird good
    The Interpreter very good

no, my rating system isn't very sophisticated but....oh well
  • Options
    I watched the exorcism of emily rose last night! Fell asleep after 30mins.....didn't find it that scary even with all my boyfriends attempts to scare me! :shocking: