Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Heart or head?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I always thought I was a romatic type of person and would always follow my heart or my gut instinct, especially when it comes to girlfriends. But Ive realised over the last year or so that Im not that type of person at all. Now Im pissed off.
In my present situation Im wondering if Im being mature, sensible and cautious or foolish, stubborn and afraid!
Can anyone here really claim to let their heart rule their head? I need inspiration to make a lifechanging decision!
Captain Sensible.

Comments

• Options
    Ok, i have always tried to use my head with girls. you know, never aiming to far out of my league, sticking to girls who are attractive but still on a par with me, girls who are smart and easy to talk to too.
    BUT that never works out and the only girls i ever liked seriously were as a result of my heart not my head telling me what to do! Ok i been left heartbroken...but it was worth it when it was working...
    Go with your heart
  • Options
    i followed my heart in a relationship knowing it wouldnt work coz my family wouldn't accept him. Its now over but i dont regret following my heart, i had 2ys of memories behind me, the question is do you often regret not doing things?
    if so follow your heart even when it doesn't make sense, your insticts will always guide you the right way, your head just confuses you.
  • Options
    I think that if you start a relationship with your heart, then there is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET that you should dare to try and continue it with your head; that just leads you into trouble and paranoia.
    Obviously you gotta think at certain times, but once you make a habit of relying on your head to decide whether something was good or right or sensible, you could end up having an argument with your heart; and if it goes on you're simply going to break.
    Thats just my experience and i can tell you that i let my head have an opinion far too much.
    Your head will lie to you; your heart will not.
    macka wrote:
    Can anyone here really claim to let their heart rule their head? I need inspiration to make a lifechanging decision!

Whats the decision (if you dont mind me asking)? Sometimes the question is far more important than the answer.
    Oh and thanks for this thread; now that ive reread what i just wrote its sorted my current problem out completely and it sound like i may have gone through the same sort of thing.
  • Options
    I follow my heart, done me good so far! :heart:
  • Options
    Its a toughie and u know the saying "Dont let your heart rule your head"... Im in that exact situation now, was with my ex 4ish years we split for various reasons as mentioned in previous topic, thing is I got the chance to get back with him and hes willin to give me everything I want but weve both changed and know its not really right for us anymore and wed probably both be better off goin separate ways in the long run but I do love him and he does me.....

Its all down to you mate, noone can tell you what to do its a decision u gotta make for yourself....

Good luck x
  • Options
    Personally i think that you cant fully experience the full extent of love if you use your head, with your heart, you just go with it, it completely depends on the situation and the person, if this person is messing you about, it will be your natural instincts to use your head however people tend to use their heads more when they have been hurt and then the heart tends to follow in time.

My advice would be not to think about it too much and just go with it, if it works out great, if it doesnt there are worse things that could happen right?!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I agree with all of you in what you say. Its not so easy to carry out the advice...
    To sum up Im thinking of giving up everything and following my heart across the world. I feel like I have a winning lotto ticket and its just out of reach. Sounds daft but thats how I feel every day since my girlfriend and I split up.
    But its just such a risk that my head keeps butting in and saying "your an idiot - what if youre wrong?"
    I really want to just say sod it - I'm going - but maybe this time my head is right...