Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nanny State

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Bisto advert... what if you're gay?

Can gay people not sit around the table and eat a family meal?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    actually its ham off the bone

Did you kill the pig and cure it yourself?

Anyway, you've completely missed my point.
    its not just what you eat but how you eat it, and i eatmine well proportioned so it tastes nice and isn't too bad for me. theres no such thing as 'junk food', just a 'junk diet'

Yes, that is of course true.

But it isn't as simple as "eat better food".

As MR is pointing out, the better quality food is more expensive. If you're on minimum wage it's hard to eat healthily- a point you don't seem to be appreciating. A can of baked beans versus a bag of green beans; a bag of potato chips against a bag of potatoes- there is no contest on price.

Much of what we eat has its processing hidden. Bread, for example, is hugely processed, and is made in a decidedly unnatural manner. That includes the expensive granary loaves. It, for that matter, also includes the bread mixes. And, for that matter, a significant amount of the flour you buy in the shop. Concentrate orange juice- that's the same. Milk is highly processed- if you ever taste farm-fresh milk you will see what I mean. Meat is often processed too- uncooked as well as cooked- and it has often been processed to death before the animal is even slaughtered.

You can't get much more staple than bread and milk.

People are not taught how to cook for themselves. And it IS the school's responsibility, because if parent can't cook how can child learn?

I actually think the whole fuss about "animal rights" has caused problems. It is now seen as bad to kill an animal and eat it for tea, and I think that causes severe difficulties because people no longer know what an animal should taste like, and how an animal should be treated. Wrapping meat up in plastic and distancing it from the farm and the kill means that factory farming is allowed to proceed unchecked- because people don't want to associate Daisy with the nice slab of sirloin, the factory farmers can treat Daisy appallingly without anyone noticing.

The problems of weight go far beyond "eat less burgers, fatty". The average daily calorie intake has come down since the second world war by about 750cals a day- people are actually eating less than they used to, and taking in fewer calories. The problem is that the average daily calorie consumption has gone down by about 1100 calories a day.

The problems of nutrition go far beyond "eat some greens, fatty". The lack of nutrition in food is directly attributable to the gate of the factory farm, and to the head offices of the supermarkets who will add all sorts to "fresh" food in order to improve the taste of it.