Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have allways respected them, until tonight. I was at a gig, in a town square, people were drinking, having a good time, the police wernt to bothered. Then one came up to me and told us to move, even though we did nothing wrong, were not being rowdy or anything. So i said why should we move, i havnt done anything wrong and he started banging on about wen im old enough to vote i can tell him what to do etc etc then he called me a cock wen i was walking off. I got his number, i dont think theres much point in complaining though, i doubt anything would happen. It just angers me that people like that can be above the law.

Has anyone experienced similiar things?

Comments

• Options
    A lot of them seem to thrive on the power, but I didn't get why he called you a cock...what happened?
  • Options
    i explained what happened. i asked why we should leave, since we had done nothing wrong, n he went on about stuff like ur not old enough to know whats best and the other was laffing at me. i really wanted to give him a piece of my mind but i knew it would only end in me getting in trouble.
  • Options
    he probably didn't take well to you answering back/questioning his asking you to move.
  • Options
    That's the police for you.
  • Options
    If you get arsey so will they. They're only human.
  • Options
    u'd think they would have something better to do though. Like going after the millions of buttholes that go around beating the hell out of peopel and being racist all day long.
  • Options
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Then one came up to me and told us to move, even though we did nothing wrong

I believe one of the criminal justice acts brought in a few years ago made 3 or more people in a public place an illegal gathering. If I'm correct in thinking this law hasn't been repealed, you were actually doing something wrong.

With only your side of things to go on, it does seem a bit of a silly time to enforce said law. It may be that the experience of your local police force, is that the situation you refer to is one that has sufficient potential to become a problem, that dispersing people is the best course of action.

If he was in anyway rude to you, you SHOULD complain. People don't complain because they think they way you do - that nothing will get done. I can safely guarantee that nothing will happen if you DON'T complain.

Root
  • Options
    is it not a human right to be able to assemble though?
  • Options
    root wrote:
    I believe one of the criminal justice acts brought in a few years ago made 3 or more people in a public place an illegal gathering. If I'm correct in thinking this law hasn't been repealed, you were actually doing something wrong.

It might be an idea to re-read the 1994 CJA.
  • Options
    well what ever, in my personal opnion, my police man 178, was being quite unreasonable n just abusing his power.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If you get arsey so will they. They're only human.
    Problem is in the immense majority of these cases the public weren't getting arsey at all. Not by any normal standards. Unfortunately far too many coppers believe ordinary commoners don't have right to even question them or ask for an explanation- which they do in most circumstances.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It might be an idea to re-read the 1994 CJA.

Thanks - any particular section? I don't really want to read the whole thing. Certainly not my idea of late night reading :)

Root
  • Options
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Ah. I made it that far after your last response. Never mind. I noticed a section regarding raves. Is that what you were referring to (Section 63)?

Edit : Ok, I may be in error. VERY quickly had a look with google, and came up with this :
    the prosecution need prove no more than that the assembly consisted of 20 or more people and that the accused was taking part, knowing it to have been prohibited under the Act.

It's in reference to a peaceful demo at stonehenge in 1995. The above quote is from an appeals judge. Here is the full article. I'm surprised at the quote above. Under english law, ignorance of the law is no defence, yet it would appear it IS a defence in cases of similar circumstances.

I'm still sure I'm right about the 3 people thing. I'll google some more when I have the time.

Root
  • Options
    It refers to trespassory assemblies in the 1994 CJA.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    A lot of them seem to thrive on the power
    I now people who have been beaten up in the cells for 'assulting' a plice officer. They put a matress on you and punch you through it. One of them is a woman.

You see tons of police out on a Saturday night in Wrexham and most are sound (although I've seen hardy any in Kingston for some reason), but you do get some wankers. I remember that they kicked a fair few North Wales police people out because they admitted to reporters that they joined up to beat up queers or Asians... But it's always a minorty.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I have allways respected them, until tonight. I was at a gig, in a town square, people were drinking, having a good time, the police wernt to bothered. Then one came up to me and told us to move, even though we did nothing wrong, were not being rowdy or anything. So i said why should we move, i havnt done anything wrong and he started banging on about wen im old enough to vote i can tell him what to do etc etc then he called me a cock wen i was walking off. I got his number, i dont think theres much point in complaining though, i doubt anything would happen. It just angers me that people like that can be above the law.

Has anyone experienced similiar things?
    By the way if you're drinking underaged on the streets and in a big gang it's not hard to see why you were moved.
  • Options
    we werent drinking at the time, besides, most people there were, they were trying to move us into the crowd of people drinking.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've had my fair share of run ins with the law, some gavers are sound and some are cunts, that's the way it go's.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    a simple analagy is what some parents do to their children where when the child reasonably question their parent, they're told not to ask why....

except we're not children and most police aren't in the know so have no reason to be patronising, when asked the simplest question and asked politely at that too
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    u'd think they would have something better to do though. Like going after the millions of buttholes that go around beating the hell out of peopel and being racist all day long.

To hard to catch, those ones might figth back. Innocents are far, far, easier.

BTW: I thought this thread was about The Police. I was going to say "Entertainment tbh".
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I've had my fair share of run ins with the law, some gavers are sound and some are cunts, that's the way it go's.

Exactly. It's the same as any other walk of life.

People like to sound off about the police, generalising wildly and calling them all this or that. I'm not sure why people think it's fine to generalise about the police and that generalising other groups of people is odious. Take Jonny888 and Blagsta as an example. Jonny after previously respecting the police, meets one bad apple and writes the whole crop off. Blagsta offers no more than "That's the police for you". Yes, that's the entire police force, right there, summed up by Jonny in a text speak paragraph.
  • Options
    I live in a republican area of Northern Ireland, don't think I've ever had a good experience with the peelers.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's the same as any other walk of life.

I'm not sure about that, the police force attracts some really nasty people simply because it gives them power.

I've got more reasons than many to hate the gavers but if I'm honest I have met some really sound ones.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I'm not sure about that, the police force attracts some really nasty people simply because it gives them power.

I've got more reasons than many to hate the gavers but if I'm honest I have met some really sound ones.

By the same logic wouldn't it attract some really nice people who want to use that power to help people?
  • Options
    I'm not sure why people think it's fine to generalise about the police and that generalising other groups of people is odious.

because the 2 are in no way comparable
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    because the 2 are in no way comparable

Could you elaborate please?
  • Options
    hey man, its all about first impression. If i was the geezer who employed policemen, i would be quite sure not to employ wankers that may agrovate people.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    hey man, its all about first impression. If i was the geezer who employed policemen, i would be quite sure not to employ wankers that may agrovate people.

So you've written off the police force as a whole because of one bad experience with one bad copper?