Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My lonely night in

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    muse- wrote:
    :shocking: grolsch rocks...

No, it really doesn't.

It's a poor version of Carlsberg.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

And Carlsberg is a poor version of beer.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well what are you bitching Hoegaarden for then?

Yes, maybe when I'm old I'll enjoy all those arty farty beers too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, it really doesn't.

Not really. Carlsberg isn't a premium lager like Grolsch.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Grolsch isn't a premium beer in anything except price.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Grolsch isn't a premium beer in anything except price.

It is a premium lager. :confused:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Lager is beer, a micro brew if you will. "Beer" is at the top of the hierarchy and then it starts to branch out with different brewing techniques.
  • Options
    and I enjoy the Weissbier the Hofbrauhaus in Munich do too.

:yes: The Hofbrau had some of the nicest beer ive ever tasted - plus it came in litre glasses. And I had a large wurst to go with it. And there were drunken germans singing old drinking songs all around.

Damn I love Munich.

As for beer at home - Old Black Sheep when I can get it. Always ale - never lager. Especially Stella - that stuff is wrank.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Yes, maybe when I'm old I'll enjoy all those arty farty beers too.

You do live in a prime location for nice beer (well, beer that I'd call nice :p ).
  • Options
    I wish we had something other than piss water beers here ;)

Hard to find good stuff.

Has anybody heard of Jupiler or something? I remember having it in Belgium but I can't seem to remember if it was good enough to drink again. (then again i was also already quite tipsy by the time i had it)

I'm gonna have you, Andy, compile me a list of beers/wines i should try ;)
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    You do live in a prime location for nice beer (well, beer that I'd call nice :p ).

I live Wiltshire - part of cider country! :yum:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I wish we had something other than piss water beers here ;)

I always wondered what other lagers there are in America because all I can think of is Bud, Miller, Coors, Milwakee Best, Rolling Rock and I think that's it.

I'm liking Red Stripe at the minute, but my local supermarket have stopped stocking it in favour of Brahma, which is overpriced and boring. Not a big ales person, but I do like banana bread beer. And it's Guinness when I'm down the pub.
  • Options
    Can't beat a good Spitfire :thumb:

Of the supermarket lagers, Heineken and Castlemaine XXXX will do nicely. Mock me if you wish but they go down a treat for me. ;)
  • Options
    I always wondered what other lagers there are in America because all I can think of is Bud, Miller, Coors, Milwakee Best, Rolling Rock and I think that's it.
    You just named the cheap... oh excuse me... economical beers, those aren't even lagers.

If I drank beer, it would be Killian's Irish Red which is a lager. And I'm mad that the local bars no longer have it on tap. Killian's is actually brewed here in America by Coors company I think.

I work in downtown and here, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bar. If I were to walk into one, they would have an assortment of beers. The more upscale bars have more varieties of lagers and ales and imports.

I have seen commercials for Red Stripe here in America but have yet to come across it in a bar. We have Guiness but I've been told it's not as good as the Guiness in Europe and I believe that. Beyond the commercial mainstream beers, there are breweries throughout the country that the locals swear by.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    That's because you're a girl, and should be having white wine or a fruit based beverage.
    :lol:

Some people liek strong spirits.. others dont. Meh.
  • Options
    Lycander wrote:
    , those aren't even lagers.

How are they not lagers? What would you consider them? :confused:
  • Options
    They're just regular beers. Lagers, if I remember correctly, are stored in really cold temperatures during fermentation. Dictionary.com says about lagers:

"A type of beer of German origin that contains a relatively small amount of hops and is aged from six weeks to six months to allow sedimentation."

It's ok to call anything and everything beer, because "beer" is the primative form of the beverage. What sets ale and lager apart from regular beer is the brewing process.
  • Options
    Maybe we're getting terms mixed up here, but to my understanding, beer is the umbrella term for ales, stouts and lagers.

A lager being fizzy and light coloured and an ale being flat, heavier in consistancy and ranging in colour but no lighter than lager. Thus Miller, Bud etc would be lagers because they are both light and fizzy.
  • Options
    Bud, rolling rock, coors - they're all lagers. Lagers aren't necessarily produced in Germany - that is probably the origin of the brewing process.

Unlike Champagne which must be from Champagne, or Feta cheese which must be from Greece. ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Bud, rolling rock, coors - they're all lagers. Lagers aren't necessarily produced in Germany - that is probably the origin of the brewing process.
    Yes, that's what I meant, I just copy/pasted from the definition on the dictionary.com page.

I must say, I'd be very disappointed and heart broken if those cheap beers qualify as lagers. Don't get me wrong, I totally dispise Coors, Bud, and all the rest of the cheap American beers. You won't ever catch me drinking one of those, no matter how drunk I am.

I rush to sweep them under the rug lest you start to think there aren't any good beers here in America. But yeah, most of the good stuff here are imports and brews that were inspired by other countries.

This would not be the first time I got caught up in a beer debate. It always ends up with bunch of guys describing this and that and I never seem to get all the facts straighten.

Anyhoos, cheers. I'm having rum tonight ;)
  • Options
    While it may seem I take too much of an interest in beers, I really do hate those Campaign for Real Ale nerds. I work in a pub and when they try a particular ale they look at it in the light, sniff it, swill it, spit it out, drink it again, swill it and finally swallow. Utter farce really.

As my boss summed them up: bunch of beardy piss flaps
  • Options
    Shite! Spit out beer? I throw a fit even if I spill just a bit. I savor my drink if it is one worth savoring ;)
  • Options
    Schnap me baby will appreciate this thread haha.

I so do :D

I'm a bit disappointed it has been side tracked to beer tho, smirnoff blue vodka all the way :)

CheeseOnToast I officially nominate you as the new starter of the Saturday night drunk thread for this week. It will be Drunk Part 3 and must include a drunken game, are you up to the challenge??
  • Options
    I'm liking Red Stripe at the minute.

Granted no one can dislike Red Stripe, but like it? It has next to no taste at all.

In the US you have to go for local brews, any of the national ones are terrible.
  • Options
    Lycander wrote:
    Shite! Spit out beer?

You'd spit it out too, some of the real Ales over hear are disgusting. Served up warm and weak. :yuck:

Give me a cold lager anyday.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why would anybody drink beer warm. How discusting. Whoever thought of that ought to be beaten with a hose.
  • Options
    asahi super dry japanese beer

251.jpg
    its good
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Where can you get that?

Tiger isn't to bad. That's Chinese.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: