Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sweet!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    I doubt that. I don't know many who don't speed, as point of fact, they just do it as conditions allow. Not needing laws to know what's sensible like most folks.
    Only to a degree. Many folks think it's okay to go at 50mph on narrow streets through cities- when it is clearly not. Believe me, the fear of losing the licence prevents many people from putting the foot down where they shouldn't.

I say it would be ten times lower. Think about it.
    Of course. And the more razor blades you carry in your pockets, the smaller chance you'll have of cutting your fingers.

Care to explain the logic behind your claim?

I see your "undeniable" and raise you a "how about some evidence". You are talking bobbins. Idiots remain idiots regardless of the law. Speeders speed despite it.
    No they don't. Many would be speeders don't speed because of the fear of getting caught and penalised. How on earth could it be otherwise? :confused:

How, exactly? Apart from in your head, that is.
    I've explained it already very clearly earlier. Try to read my posts.

Look, judging by the way this thread is going and with the hindsight of the 'do countries exist' thread, your whole debating style appears to revolve around dissecting every post into no fewer than 8-10 different points (to the extent that after a few posts one loses track of what was being debated in the first place), denying the obvious, pretending that the other person hasn't given you an answer when they have (like right now) and carrying on and going on in circles for days, even weeks on end until the other person gives up so you can tell yourself you have won the argument.

I'm not prepared to go that road again when you are starting to play the same games and denying something so obvious it is simply unbelievable anyone at all could suggest any different. Then again if you claim countries don't exist, what chance there is of you admitting that speed limits cut accidents and deaths? :rolleyes:

So it's up to you. Dissect the post away if you want. Ask more strawman argument questions if you want. Demand proof for absolutely undeniable, yet impossible to prove facts because of their abstract nature if you want. I don't care.
  • Options
    Only to a degree. Many folks think it's okay to go at 50mph on narrow streets through cities- when it is clearly not. Believe me, the fear of losing the licence prevents many people from putting the foot down where they shouldn't.

Bunnies. People don't go that fast for fear of crashing or fear of injuring other people. Have you so little faith in others that you think we are all anti-social lunatics who need controlling?
    Care to explain the logic behind your claim?

I posted a link explaining and proving that removing road regulation cuts accidents - on that note -
    Try to read my posts.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html
    How on earth could it be otherwise? :confused:

Because it's proabably number four on most people's lists, behind not wanting to kill anyone, not wanting to damage their car and not actually being in that much of a rush. And THEN it only occurs as a limitation if there is a camera or policeman about AND they notice that camera or policeman. Putting signs up with numbers on them does not remove peoples ability to put their foot down - fact. End of.
    denying the obvious,

What, like asserting that there is a border between "england" and "scotland" despite a total lack of evidence. Have a look at a view from space and show me the borders. :rolleyes: It's only "obvious" to you the same way it's "obvious" to some other fundamentalist nutcases that the bible is the literal word of god.
    your whole debating style appears to revolve around dissecting every post into no fewer than 8-10 different points

What you mean like this one? I do aoplogise for limiting my output to what your conscious mind can handle. In future I will overwhelm at the off. (Miller 1956 the magic number 7+/- 2)
    pretending that the other person hasn't given you an answer when they have (like right now)

:confused:
    Demand proof for absolutely undeniable, yet impossible to prove facts because of their abstract nature if you want.

:lol::lol:

Like you do in the religious threads you mean? Why do you want absolute logic in one area and not in others?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Bunnies. People don't go that fast for fear of crashing or fear of injuring other people.
    You don't spend much time in cities do you?
    Have you so little faith in others that you think we are all anti-social lunatics who need controlling?
    Not all. Many.

I posted a link explaining and proving that removing road regulation cuts accidents - on that note -

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html
    Yes I've heard of the 'naked road' concept. They say it's even coming to London, to Exhibition Road in particular. Still doesn't mean you can zoom at 60 mph down it though.

You're still ignoring the fact that if speed wasn't limited to 30mph in cities, many more people would drive at 40mph+. Many more.

Because it's probably number four on most people's lists, behind not wanting to kill anyone, not wanting to damage their car and not actually being in that much of a rush. And THEN it only occurs as a limitation if there is a camera or policeman about AND they notice that camera or policeman. Putting signs up with numbers on them does not remove peoples ability to put their foot down - fact. End of.
    Speed limits prevent many if not most people from going above that limit, or at least a few miles above that limit, for fear of being caught and penalised.

Fact.

End of.

Fact.

End of.

Geddit?

What, like asserting that there is a border between "england" and "scotland" despite a total lack of evidence. Have a look at a view from space and show me the borders. :rolleyes: It's only "obvious" to you the same way it's "obvious" to some other fundamentalist nutcases that the bible is the literal word of god.
    cuckooclock.gif

What you mean like this one? I do aoplogise for limiting my output to what your conscious mind can handle. In future I will overwhelm at the off. (Miller 1956 the magic number 7+/- 2)
    Not so much a question of the handling capabilities as a deliberate strategy to bore the other poster to death and to construct multiple strawman arguments around thin air to disguise the fact that your argument hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Because we all already know you measure your success by ultimately having the last word in a debate (as you were telling someone a few weeks ago "ask Aladdin and others- I always win" or thereabouts) even though deep down you know very well people simply give up after a while because they have lives to lead and it would be as pointless as trying to tell a wasp down the beer garden not approach your plate.

Like you do in the religious threads you mean? Why do you want absolute logic in one area and not in others?
    Because it should be up to the one making impossible and absurd claims to prove the rest of mankind wrong.

You are the one claiming laws and countries "don't exist". You should provide evidence to such indescribably silly claims- just as someone who claimed the Moon doesn't actually exist should do to show us all the error of our ways.

But, as I said earlier, I have no intention to dragging this thread in the appalling way that other one went (even though you seem more than prepared to go that avenue again- simply, I suspect, because you really do need to have the last word in something, even if the thread were to take six months on end, to convince yourself you were right and you "always win").

Then again, it would be funny to play your game for as long as it takes and see your resolve. Though not so funny for all other board users.

It's either that or you would have the honour to be the very first person ever on any forum I put on ignore (however I wouldn't be the first one to do so, would I?).

Mmm... decisions decisions... :chin:
  • Options
    http://3dnworld.com/users/1/images/UltimateEarth.jpg

Have a look. Notice the absence of borders, state, town lines, yadda yadda. It's in your head, nowhere else. Why do you process me saying there are no countries as me saying there is no ground?
    You're still ignoring the fact that if speed wasn't limited to 30mph in cities, many more people would drive at 40mph+. Many more.

Given that this is your unproven opinion, and we have proof that removing regulation works I will be sticking with my original contention.
    Speed limits prevent many if not most people from going above that limit, or at least a few miles above that limit, for fear of being caught and penalised.

No they don't. Fact. End of.
    Not so much a question of the handling capabilities as a deliberate strategy to bore the other poster to death and to construct multiple strawman arguments around thin air to disguise the fact that your argument hasn't got a leg to stand on.

From my point of view, this is what you do.
    Because we all already know you measure your success by ultimately having the last word in a debate (as you were telling someone a few weeks ago "ask Aladdin and others- I always win" or thereabouts)

No you haven't provided any proof for your wacky claims is what I said. And no, that's not my intention at all.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    http://3dnworld.com/users/1/images/UltimateEarth.jpg

Have a look. Notice the absence of borders, state, town lines, yadda yadda. It's in your head, nowhere else. Why do you process me saying there are no countries as me saying there is no ground?
    Just because you cannot see something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You do seem to have a recurring problem with non-physical items.

But we've had this conversation before.

Given that this is your unproven opinion, and we have proof that removing regulation works I will be sticking with my original contention.
    Whatever you say.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Just because you cannot see something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You do seem to have a recurring problem with non-physical items.

But we've had this conversation before.

haven't we just!
    :D