Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Would you pay a terror tax?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes your personal bias is transparent. You have no idea why the police helicopter was there, really pisses me off when people critisize the police in that way. You have zero information to make that claim. It's just your own paranoia.

i won't waste my breath with you except to say........sigh......

i have a fairly good idea why the helicopter was there, no doubt to make me feel safe.......i'm making the claim based on the fact it hovered around my area, then buggered off, then came back after 10 mins, did this several times in fact and kept bloody interrupting my movie........and i have a right to be paranoid about the state's motives, in fact i'd say anyone who wasnt a little bit paranoid is plain stupid........you only serve to validate this assumption.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Andyet the NHS is still shite?

It is?

It's not perfect, but I honestly couldn't describe it as shite, and it's certainly a damned sight better than it was ten years ago.
    Its that very little money get to where it is needed.

Says who? The media?
    The spending on the NHS is increasing, yet the service deteriorates

In what way has the service deteriorated. I could give you a couple of examples, but I wonder if you can point to any...
    and Hospitals are closed.

Even the inefficient ones? Those which have huge maintenence costs?

Surely some hospitals should close?
    along with my mum's job, as she used to work there.

Please tell me she was clinical...
    I jsut want to know where the hell this monery goes? WHY is the NHS so fucked up?

So ask. The Freedom of Information Act gives you that right. Start with the Department of Health, then try your local PCT, then your local hospital.

You'll be surprised, some good, some bad...

At least though you will be informed and won't have to rely on the media for such information, They really aren't a good source.
  • Options
    http://www.worldwide-tax.com/index.asp#partthree

tax rates from around the world - you'd need a more detailed analysis to compare properly but the maximum you can pay in tax in the UK is way below the maximum in most european countries
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    http://www.worldwide-tax.com/index.asp#partthree

tax rates from around the world - you'd need a more detailed analysis to compare properly but the maximum you can pay in tax in the UK is way below the maximum in most european countries
    Which begs the question, if people in Britain are being "taxed to death" as the Daily Mailers claim, how come all other people in Europe are still alive? They must have died off decades ago... ;)
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i won't waste my breath with you except to say........sigh......

i have a fairly good idea why the helicopter was there, no doubt to make me feel safe.......i'm making the claim based on the fact it hovered around my area, then buggered off, then came back after 10 mins, did this several times in fact and kept bloody interrupting my movie........and i have a right to be paranoid about the state's motives, in fact i'd say anyone who wasnt a little bit paranoid is plain stupid........you only serve to validate this assumption.

You have a "fairly good idea" do you? Based on the fact that it "kept coming back" and interrupted your movie. :thumb: So I'm the one who is stupid?
  • Options
    You have a "fairly good idea" do you? Based on the fact that it "kept coming back" and interrupted your movie. :thumb: So I'm the one who is stupid?

have you noticed that all you do is repeat what i have said, i can't see how that formulates a counter argument, all it does is bore me.......at least rk was good for a laugh.....if you're some kind of helicopter expert why don't you enlighten us? i dont proclaim to be, i did watch it for a good 15 minutes and it just looked like very erratic patrolling, and it was flying very low so as to let everyone know it was there, the neighbours commented that it was very strange and unusual activity.........having lived in the sticks for a while i have seen a lot of helicopters as that is where they do a lot of military training (so as not to piss off crowded suburban residential areas), and that helicopter didnt appear to be doing much apart from announcing its presence.......and anyways, seeing as you weren't there why don't you just STFU? (and if you really needed confirmation, yes you are stupid.)
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    have you noticed that all you do is repeat what i have said, i can't see how that formulates a counter argument, all it does is bore me.......at least rk was good for a laugh.....if you're some kind of helicopter expert why don't you enlighten us? i dont proclaim to be, i did watch it for a good 15 minutes and it just looked like very erratic patrolling, and it was flying very low so as to let everyone know it was there, the neighbours commented that it was very strange and unusual activity.........having lived in the sticks for a while i have seen a lot of helicopters as that is where they do a lot of military training (so as not to piss off crowded suburban residential areas), and that helicopter didnt appear to be doing much apart from announcing its presence.......and anyways, seeing as you weren't there why don't you just STFU? (and if you really needed confirmation, yes you are stupid.)

To be fair, GrooveChampion isn't trying to give you an explanation of why it was there or what it was doing, he's just pointing out that you can only specualte as to it's intentions and motives. To make the assumption it was there purely as visual presence, i think, is jumping to conclusions based on nothing of any substance.
  • Options
    To be fair, GrooveChampion isn't trying to give you an explanation of why it was there or what it was doing, he's just pointing out that you can only specualte as to it's intentions and motives. To make the assumption it was there purely as visual presence, i think, is jumping to conclusions based on nothing of any substance.

the only conclusion i'm jumping to is that it wasnt serving any obvious purpose, like chasing criminals or rescuing people, and flight training isnt done over populated areas for obvious reasons........the original point was that my taxes shouldn't be spent on this show of force......me and gc are bound to knock heads because our political points of view couldn't be more polarised, alas that is life.....
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:

What you said was so moronic that all I needed to do was point it out. You said that you knew what it was doing because it "kept coming back". Which is stupid.

There wasn't any 'argument' in what you said at all.

You have no idea what the helicopter was doing.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    if you're some kind of helicopter expert why don't you enlighten us? i dont proclaim to be,.)

No I don't claim to know what the purpose of police helicopter sorties are. However you seem to be such an expert as you cunningly observed a helicopter that "kept coming back" while watching it for 15 minutes (paranoia setting in or are you just bored?) then decided you knew that it was watching you/"letting you know its there".
  • Options
    You said that you knew what it was doing because it "kept coming back". Which is stupid.

There wasn't any 'argument' in what you said at all.

No I don't claim to know what the purpose of police helicopter sorties are. However you seem to be such an expert as you cunningly observed a helicopter that "kept coming back" while watching it for 15 minutes (paranoia setting in or are you just bored?) then decided you knew that it was watching you/"letting you know its there".

well what do you do when a chopper's hovering about 50 feet over your house, you don't go out and have a look?.... :rolleyes:

looking back over the thread i know where you're coming from now but a) you have misunderstood me and b) you have misquoted me, let's go back a bit......
    apollo_69 wrote:
    only last night there was a helicopter hovering over my area for a good hour with no obvious motive, apart from letting everyone know it was there........very strange.......why should i pay for that?

as it was hovering so bloody low that you couldn't not notice it, i think it's not terribly presumptuous to say it was letting everyone know it was there......
    i have a fairly good idea why the helicopter was there, no doubt to make me feel safe.............i'm making the claim based on the fact it hovered around my area, then buggered off, then came back after 10 mins, did this several times in fact.....

this is where you misunderstood me, the first part of the statement i made in cynical jest.......i'm not claiming it was there to make me feel safe based on the fact it kept coming back, there is a .........between the two statements because i have finished one and am starting another.......i'm claiming it was letting everyone know it was there because it kept going back and forth, very low........are you following? (if so i don't know how, because even i've lost interest at this point, but you want to get pedantic so let's get pedantic......)

i also don't like the way you quote what I have said and then insert your little juxtapositions about what I am thinking or implying.......for instance......
    then decided you knew that it was watching you/"letting you know its there".

i never said this, i said it was making its presence aware, not that i decided i knew i was being watched........jeez that's it, the END.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Um, that figure doesn't point to the fact the UK tax system often comes down heaviest on the wrong people as far as I can tell. The Rich get Rich, The Poor get Poor.

NHS service getting worse? MSRA, That a boy I SAW with my own eyes, I spoke to him in A&E, had to wait over 24 Hours. His parents had been home and back to get him some bloody food. Yeah. Closing Hospitals while there is still overcrowing defies logic. There is overcrowding, so lets make LESS Hospitals. Surley some should close? Yes. But Notley Hospital worked well and took the strain off Broomfield. Which is now in Choas. My Mum is an Orthopaedic Nurse, Fully Qualified. But she doesn't want to go back in, because the Nurses aren't properly trained anymore. She did go to Broomfield for a while to consider it, but was shocked at the standards and wouldn't go there. x( And the whole service approach is lost, its no longer a place where you feel comfortable. It's run almost like a factory.

The NHS used to work a darn sight better as far as I can see when it was first bought about and set up properly. What have they done to it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Um, that figure doesn't point to the fact the UK tax system often comes down heaviest on the wrong people as far as I can tell. The Rich get Rich, The Poor get Poor.

NHS service getting worse? MSRA, That a boy I SAW with my own eyes, I spoke to him in A&E, had to wait over 24 Hours. His parents had been home and back to get him some bloody food. Yeah. Closing Hospitals while there is still overcrowing defies logic. There is overcrowding, so lets make LESS Hospitals. Surley some should close? Yes. But Notley Hospital worked well and took the strain off Broomfield. Which is now in Choas. My Mum is an Orthopaedic Nurse, Fully Qualified. But she doesn't want to go back in, because the Nurses aren't properly trained anymore. She did go to Broomfield for a while to consider it, but was shocked at the standards and wouldn't go there. x( And the whole service approach is lost, its no longer a place where you feel comfortable. It's run almost like a factory.

The NHS used to work a darn sight better as far as I can see when it was first bought about and set up properly. What have they done to it?

- firstly mrsa is hitting all westernised countries, mainly due to over use of antibiotics and lack of research into other methods and stronger anti-biotics
    - dealing with mrsa should be down the hospitals to implement things to stop transfer, as some relatively simple protocols can help loads
    - you will not stop it 100% cause people can give it to themselves
    - erm standards in nurse recruitment haven't fallen
    - the closing i dont get, apparantly so they can make fewer bigger hospitals, but i prefer a decntralisedd structure as people dont have to travel miles all the time so i agree with u there
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Many people will have seen more coppers on their neighbourhood in the last two weeks than they have seen in the last 20 years. Putting the tragic circumstances behind their presence aside, this will have been a welcome sight for many.

I live 4 hours from London, yet even the police and security here has been improved :shocking: But at the same time, I don't think ANYONE around here would want to pay more tax for them, even if it was proved it WAS going towards OUR police force and not the force somewhere else..... they just aren't going to. My guess is that everyones reasoning would be that it's their job to protect us anyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is not that there are more police; its just they have bothered to deploy them now for a change.