Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

legal age for alcohol consumption should be lowered

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because then there is no consistency.

So what? Like consistency is worth having anyway. :rolleyes:
    Every single person will make a judgement

Which is the best way of doing things.......
    to allow it to operate that way would need every single bar staff to operate responsibly which is unlikely.

Why is this so unlikely?

Why not just let publicans and their staff make their own decisions as they go? What's wrong with that?
  • Options
    But if age limit is 16 what stops a 15 year old getting it etc etc. Lowering the age limit solves nothing you will just get younger people doing it.

Who said it will solve anything? Who said anything needs solved?

I'm saying the legal age should be lowered in order to be compatible with society and also the effects would probably be beneficial (less trouble on the streets, easier to police etc). There are no counter-arguments which stand up to scrutiny or logic.
  • Options
    I agree with Spliffie, restricting drinking exacerbates problems, it doesn't make them better.

I don't see how anyone could think the current system is preferable to having kids drinking in supervised places with interesting things to do. All most teens want is to hang out with some music and a pool table, why is that such a bad thing? Allowing kids to drink in bars can only be a good thing. I would draw the line at allowing them to drink spirits, or to drink in nightclubs, because I don't think they are supervised enough for younger people.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't see how anyone could think the current system is preferable to having kids drinking in supervised places with interesting things to do. All most teens want is to hang out with some music and a pool table, why is that such a bad thing? Allowing kids to drink in bars can only be a good thing. I would draw the line at allowing them to drink spirits, or to drink in nightclubs, because I don't think they are supervised enough for younger people.

that's an interesting idea but i think it would shock conservative middle england too much...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    that's an interesting idea but i think it would shock conservative middle england too much...
    Lots of things would, that's why this country has so much crime and other bollocks.

Legalising drugs on prescription, and allowing kids to have supervised drinks in bars, would solve an awful lot of problems. Kids wouldn't hang around the rec pissed on cider if they could go to a pub and have a few drinks there. Vandalism would go down because everyone would be too busy doing other things to need to want to smash bus shelters (it wouldn't disappear though, I'm not that naive). And as for drugs, if everyone could get it on prescription then there'd be no criminal profit, and therefore no need to rob to get the money to pay the crims for their drugs.

But Middle England has been brought up to see this as "soft" on drugs, and so baulks at it. What amuses me is how the Daily Mail and the rest slag off drug users all the time, when half of Fleet Street is off their tits on charlie.
  • Options
    It's unlikely bar staff would operate responsibly as very few stop serving people when they are drunk which they should.

16 year olds can drink if their parents buy it for them. As far as I am aware they then have to do it in their own home so they will be under supervision. You also are guessing that the effect of lowering the drinking age would be beneficial with no real evidence. What happens at 11 o'clock when the bars shut and you have 16 year old girls hammered? What about 16 year old boys that have drank far too much and start trashing things?
  • Options
    It's unlikely bar staff would operate responsibly as very few stop serving people when they are drunk which they should.

You will actually find that most bar staff will eject drunken people. Drunks are far more trouble than they are worth, and will be ejected by bar staff.
    What happens at 11 o'clock when the bars shut

I don't think bars should have a legal closing time.
    you have 16 year old girls hammered? What about 16 year old boys that have drank far too much and start trashing things?

What about it?

You seem to be labouring under the misconception that the law prevents things. It does not. It merely criminialises them. If I want to go and murder my wife there is nothing to stop me.

So, we have this situation already. And instead of having these people getting drunk safely in a warm pub, we have these people getting pissed on the rec and getting in the way. Why is it preferable for you to have these kids sitting in bus shelters, drinking cheap cider and with nothing better to do than graffitti the bus stop and smash the windows? Surely it is better to give these people a corner of a pub with a jukebox and a pool table, and a landlord to look after them?
  • Options
    If you have a law saying 18 is the legal age for alcohol then you know that 16 year olds will probably get hold of alcohol. If you lower the age to 16 what stops 14 year olds getting hold of it? Letting them buy it themselves will not stop them drinking outside, they just can now buy it themselves from an off license.
  • Options
    You appear to be spectacularly missing the point.

I am saying that 14 year-olds should be allowed to drink beer, that they should be allowed to buy it and drink it in pubs. Most teenagers say that they wouldn't stand around swigging cider in a bus shelter if they could go in a pub and play pool with a beer. What is so wrong with this?
  • Options

16 year olds can drink if their parents buy it for them. As far as I am aware they then have to do it in their own home so they will be under supervision. You also are guessing that the effect of lowering the drinking age would be beneficial with no real evidence. What happens at 11 o'clock when the bars shut and you have 16 year old girls hammered? What about 16 year old boys that have drank far too much and start trashing things?

16 year olds are not going to go round to their pals' houses to drink under the supervision of their parents now, are they? So i don't really see how that's relevent.

Bar staff should stop serving people when they are drunk? Are you on another planet? People go to the pub to get drunk...duh! I wonder how the brewing industry would cope with a one-pint-per-hour system :confused:

At closing time, dispersal from pubs are concentrated...this is far easier to police than scattered groups of youths hanging around here, there and everything.
  • Options
    I reckon most teenagers enjoy the rebellion of drinking outside and frankly whether its legal or not I doubt they will go into pubs.

Can 14 year olds then be trusted not to give alcohol to 13 year olds?

Spliffe that was my point why bar staff cannot on the whole be trusted to follow the law religiously.
  • Options
    I reckon most teenagers enjoy the rebellion of drinking outside and frankly whether its legal or not I doubt they will go into pubs.

Yeah, damn right. Teenagers aren't normal, they'd much rather sit on a wall in the pissing rain than be somewhere warm with entertainment.

Ask any of them why they sit on the rec. The standard answer? "There's nowhere else to go".

:rolleyes:
    Can 14 year olds then be trusted not to give alcohol to 13 year olds?

So what if they can or can't be? Let the 13-year-olds get pissed, what harm does it do? Let the thirteen-yar-olds in the pub too.

It's better than the current situation.
    Spliffe that was my point why bar staff cannot on the whole be trusted to follow the law religiously.

They generally can be, though they use sensible discretion. Cause trouble and you'll be thrown out, but behave and they'll serve you underage. I went to the pub when I was 15, 16, 17, and I got drunk in the pub, and it was fine. What is the big deal?
  • Options
    Because like with any limit imposed legally there will always be a certain amount of tolerance that cannot be avoided. As most people saying they DID drink at 16 or 17 in the pub.

What about when its not raining? Teenagers will not go to the pub just because they can. I believe recently a discussion was had about a skate park. Teenagers wanted a place to skate so they built a skate park and it widely went unused. Reason being they didn't like being told where to skate. Same logic is going to apply here.