Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Books

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I don't care if its been done recently :p

What was the last book you read?

What book are you currently reading?

What book do you plan to read next?

What is your favourite and least favourite book and why?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    1. Enduring Love- Ian Mckewen (sp?)
    2. The Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold
    3. Probably another book by Ian Mckewen.
    4. I like books I read as a child. But adult-ish books, Enduring Love was good. I don't really dislike any books, except the ones you are made to read for English Lit at school.
  • Options
    1. A mystery by a scilian author, I cant remember the name or title, it was good though.

2. One of the Flashman papers, fantasticlly funny, highly recomended.

3. Not sure

4. The best book I have read was 'Fear and Loathing in America' a collection of letters by Hunter Thompson, not a letter out of place, a truely perfect book.
  • Options
  • Options
    My answers:

Last book read: A child called it

Currently reading: The things they carried

Next book i will read: The da vinci code

My favourite book has got to be a child called it, while it is a horribly cruel tale, it creates strong emotion in the reader and gives you a look at the darker side of family life. The worst book i have read is probably Kes, mainly because i had to study it in depth at gcse. Either that, or because the small boy with no friends reminds me of JsT. :p
  • Options
    Last book : Gladstone by Roy Jenkins

Now : Churchil by Roy Jenkins

Next : War and Peace by Tolstoy
  • Options
    last: Ananda Coomaraswamy's The essential...
    now: Knut Hamsun's The Growth of the Soil
    next: Colemanballs

"A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth...absolutely perfect in every single way." :yes:
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    My answers:

Last book read: A child called it

My favourite book has got to be a child called it, while it is a horribly cruel tale, it creates strong emotion in the reader and gives you a look at the darker side of family life.

Ohhh I have wanted to read this for agesss. :D
  • Options
    Ohhh I have wanted to read this for agesss. :D

Do ittt!

Although its been known to make girls cry and its not the happiest book :p
  • Options

Lucky - Alice Sebold

I appear not to be

Why bother with the truth?

Favourite is The Silver Wolf - Alice Borchardt, every time I read it I marvel at her descriptive ability and the uniqueness of the story and the setting, I can't ever read it too much.

Least Favourite erm, can't honestly say if I don't like a book enough to get into it, then I don't remember it. I do passionatly hate 19th century literature, because it's all such 'gothic' bollocks or it has 60 chapters and doesn't do anything until chapter 57.
  • Options
    Mikhail Bulgakov - Собачнье Сердце (Heart of a Dog) - Bloody fantastic

Not currently reading anything. I just finished my exams and am thus drinking and playing Playstation.

Next one is Bulgakov's Мастер и Маргерита or Master and Margarita. Awesome I'm told.

Favourite book. Jeez, no idea. I mean there's Dicken's Martin Chuzzlewit, Cervantes' Don Quijote, Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov. The list goes on...

Worst book. Hmm. Lorca's Poeta en Nueva York is drivel. As is most of Ruben Dario's, Unamuno's and Machado's poetry.

Bongbudda, Flashman RULES!
  • Options
    1) 'last chance saloon' by marian keyes

2) 'the greatest gift' by danny leigh

3) 'the canterbury tales'. wish me luck.

4) favourite: 'where rainbows end' by cecelia ahern because it is lovely.
  • Options
    Last: The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Current: None-I only just finished and haven't got another started yet

Next: The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice I expect

Favourite: Too many to choose from. I love a good book.
    Least Favourite: It - Stephen King. Bit boring when I tried to read it, I turned about 4 pages and it was still talking about the same thing.
  • Options

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult... really good book, highly recommended

Trashy one as I can't afford to buy any new decent books at the moment and this was a donated one from my Stepmum. Umm, think it's called Honeymoon. It's reasonable for a trashy one.

I have read it before, but I had a lovely amazon voucher ( :thumb: ) and wanted to buy a really good book I got out from the library once: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King.

Favourite book is Carrie. I love this book because of the style in which a lot of it is written. Partly as news reports and biographies and magazine articles... it adds a really good dimension to a great story and makes it seem very real.

Least favourite book is probably any of the Harry Potter books. I read them because I felt like I should. Think JK Rowling has good ideas, I just don't think her writing is anything out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    What was the last book you read? - The Da Vinci Code

What book are you currently reading? - The Video Game Theory Reader - Work related but it's also quite interesting :)

What book do you plan to read next? - Probably either a Terry Pratchett or Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

What is your favourite and least favourite book and why? - Favourite book is Animal Farm, just such a great book imo :) I haven't read a book I didn't like in some small way.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Last book - The DaVinci Code (didn't see what the fuss was about tbh but that is a different story)

Current book - The Jane Austen Book Club (I think that is what it is called. Only just started it ... )

Next book - Erm, I have a few to choose from. Either "A Suitable Boy" or "Up and Down in the Dales" by Gervaise Phinn, I have "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith and a couple of others too.

Favourite book - Erm, I dunno. Maybe Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Of recent reads my favourite was "An Equal Music" by Vikram Seth or "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey.

Dunno what my least favourite book is ...
  • Options
    What was the last book you read? Flowers For Algernon

What book are you currently reading? Bill Bryson A Little History On Everything

What book do you plan to read next? Daniel Keyes The Milligan Wars

What is your favourite and least favourite book and why? Best: Flowers For Algernon. Why, read the thread linked below.. saves me from typing it out again. Worst: Probably the Chocolate War. Why, Rather violent and depressing.

I did start a new thread on Flowers For Algernon, but it appears that no-one here have read it.
  • Options
    The last book i read was the Bourne Legacy. Its the final book of the Bourne series.

Im not currently reading a book since i just finished the Bourne Legacy and im doing my revision. If i started one now i get too involved and spend precious revision time reading.

I plan to either read Live Bait (by PJ Tracy), The Burning Girl (by Mark Billington) or Good News Bad News (by cant rememeber). Just bought them in a 3 for 2 at Waterstones. One of these will keep busy until the next Harry Potter (YEAH!!!!)

My favourite book is The Beach.
  • Options
    Going through a Star Wars phase at the moment

Last book I read: Agents of Chaos I (Hero's trial)

One I'm about to start reading: Agents of Chaos II (Jedi esclipse)

Best book is George MacDonald's Fraser autobiography of his time in Burma at the tail-end of WW2 'Quartered safe Out Here'
  • Options
    What was the last book you read? 1984 by George Orwell

What book are you currently reading? None as yet, might reread Watership Down...

What book do you plan to read next? Animal Farm by George Orwell

What is your favourite and least favourite book and why? Favourite - Watership Down, because it's lovely. And One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Just 'cause. Least favourite - Of Mice and Men. I was forced.
  • Options
    currently reading number10 by sue townsend....so funny

not sure whats next.
  • Options
    the dispossessed by ursula leguin
  • Options
    Bongbudda, Flashman RULES!

I know, I've just discovered him and are now laughing on the Tube each morning on my way to work, such a bounder!!
  • Options
    Last Book - I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti

Currently Reading - A Time To Kill by John Grisham

Plan To Read Next - Just A Boy by Richard McCann

Favourite Book - Hatter's Castle by AJ Cronin

Least Favourite - The Shopaholic books. They are rubbish.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Last book: High Druid of Shannara, book two: Tanequil by Terry Brooks
    Current book: None
    Next book: Deception point by Dan Brown
    Favourite book: Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture by Apostolos Doxiadis
    Least favourite book: Bored of the rings (The only book I've not been able to finish)
  • Options
    I read soooo much well at least a book a week:

What was the last book you read? - The Incredible and True Adventures of the Hunt Sisters - I saw it adertised on the tube; it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

What book are you currently reading? - The House of Mitford buy Julian Guinness (with Catherine Guinness)(yes as in the drink) and Women who lived for danger - which is about the lives of women in the Specical Operations Executive during the second world war.

What book do you plan to read next? Elziabeth David - A book of mediterranean Food - i tend to read cookery books all in one go and remember the recipies that i like the sound & Joes War - My Father Decoded by Annete Kobak.

What is your favourite and least favourite book and why? I've got 3 favorite books. The catcher in the rye - because its just perfect I didnt' read it till i was 15 and I wish i'd read it at 12 it explains everything and nothing all at once. The Sword of Honor Triolgy - Evelyn Waugh i must have read these at least 5 or 6 times since i was about 10 (i was so into adult books as a child) - every time you get a new perspective and i'm obviously totally in love with Guy. Not that sort of girl by Mary Wesley - too good about true love and someone leading a double life that noone else suspects.

I don't have a least favorite i dont' think - I was really disappointed by Attonement, in general i dont' like books about a period that are written by people who didn't live in that period you can always tell because they miss out little details or over emphasise them in the wrong places.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote:
    The catcher in the rye
    I read it a few years back, and I didn't like it, save for the part it got its title from, which I identified with. Maybe I should give it another try...
  • Options
    Last book: One of the Samurai Girl books. Really crappy teen fiction but somehow rather addictive, so not really that crappy.
    Current book: The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown. Just had to see what all the fuss was about. I think the pope's big paddy about it probably contributed to the sales. That's certainly what made me interested in reading it.
    Next book: No idea, got a ton of books to read..maybe Gareth Nix's Abhorsen
    Favourite book: God knows. Hitchhiker's probably or Tom's Midnight Garden.
    Least favourite book: Hard to say, if I don't like a book I don't finish it. I'd say Barry Trotter because I still haven't finished it.
  • Options
    Insomnia - Stephen King. It was a lot better than I thought it would be, as it got quite a few bad reviews. It was quite long though, but it needed the description.

I'm reading about 10 books at the moment :D The main ones though, are The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown, and Firesong - William Nicholson both of them are quite good so far

Any of my Philip Pullman books, apart from the his dark materials trilogy, or another Stephen King book, or maybe something else. I don't really know yet, I normally just pick up whatevers on my bookshelf and catches my eye.

Favourite: Either the his dark materials trilogy - Phillip Pullam, which is reallly good and I could read loads of times and probably never get bored of it, or Misery - Stephen King.
    Least favourite: I can't really remember any really bad books that I've read, because if I pick up a bad book, I normally stop after a few chapters and then forget the title.
  • Options
    What was the last book you read? - Peter Hitchen's Monday Morning Blues (Absolute classic genius.)

What book are you currently reading? - The Godfather

What book do you plan to read next? - 1984
  • Options
    The Amber Spyglass, Philip Pullman.

Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell

The Adventure of English, Melvyn Bragg.

Favourite book, The Time Traveller's Wife. Least favourite, anything by Peter Hitchens.