Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vote early and vote often.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    "Government" is just men and women providing a service.

If their services are so valuable why aren't they provided on a mutual and voluntary basis?

Interesting question,isn`t it? Does anyone have an answer ?

seeker
  • Options
    Anyway, the tories certainly sounded attractive today on the radio with a pledge to crack down on yob culture, something I have to admit is close to my heart.

It sounds great, but what the hell does it actually mean?
  • Options
    Cracking down on "yob culture" is a fabulous manifesto pledge because no one considers themselves part of it and everyone believes they're above it and it must be erradicted.

Thus the Tories have discovered they have one policy no one dares to question. :rolleyes: I haven't heard any detail about how they intend to go about it, but obviously I haven't heard everything Howard has said - does anyone have a link or more info?
  • Options
    He's going to take away the driving licences of people who break their ASBO's and if they are under age make sure they cant drive for longer.
  • Options
    A bit of public lashing is what teh yobs need & deserve, every Saturday 2pm in every town centre across the land.
    Our Islamic bretheren know a few things when it comes to punishment!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    A bit of public lashing is what teh yobs need & deserve, every Saturday 2pm in every town centre across the land.

The Taliban kept order very well, would you like to have lived under their rule?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    The Taliban kept order very well, would you like to have lived under their rule?
    No, but like Islamists have got the right ideas when it comes to punishment!
  • Options
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

having friends who have been subject to what you appear to advocate clearly indicates to me your lack of understanding on what this means. it also illustrates your lack of understanding of some of Jesus' (who you claim to follow) clearest teachings
  • Options
    Politicians must hate me as the ultimate in "not sure" voting... if it was a council election, I'd have to vote Tory as we moved into the village a couple of months back and have had a few problems with the local youths... and my current (Tory) councillors have been brilliant.

But when it comes to my MP, I'm not a big fan of him personally and haven't seen from or heard from him for ages.

To me though you should always vote for your MP based on local issues, and not because of who you want to see in Government. Governments will never spend enough on roads/schools/crime/healthcare no matter how much they plough into them, so look at what MPs will do for you and vote accordingly.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    There are no wages if everyone is self employed.

Isn't this the case already though, aren't we all self employed now. I don't have to work for who I do, I choose to. My employer recompenses me for my time and knowledge at what we consider a fair rate.

How would your system differ. If iwanted someone to plumb for me, would I have to "pay" them?
    If their services are so valuable why aren't they provided on a mutual and voluntary basis?

They are.

A plumber pays taxes so that I do my job. I then get paid, from that I pay him to plumb for me.

The simple oncept is, if you never have need to (or want to) access public services then you wouldn't have to pay. Reality is that you will, and do need these services.
  • Options
    "Isn't this the case already though, aren't we all self employed now."

Nope.

If you want to get people to join you in an enterprise in a situation where everyone is self employed, then they have to become partners, sharing profit and risk equally. Every time you need a new person to do a job, you have to take on a new partner, with equal shares of risk and profit.

"A plumber pays taxes so that I do my job"

Explain the voluntary nature of taxes for me. I kind of think that they are kind of hard to refuse to pay. Unless the IR has changed his policy since ten minutes ago when I was arguing him away again.

"The simple oncept is, if you never have need to (or want to) access public services then you wouldn't have to pay. Reality is that you will, and do need these services."

Reads as gibberish to me I am afraid. What are you on about?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If you want to get people to join you in an enterprise in a situation where everyone is self employed, then they have to become partners, sharing profit and risk equally.

Again, I choose to work for somebody, that is the risk I take. The perons employing me takes a different risk.

We don't all, and can never all, take the same risks.
    Explain the voluntary nature of taxes for me. I kind of think that they are kind of hard to refuse to pay. Unless the IR has changed his policy since ten minutes ago when I was arguing him away again.

They are simple to avoid paying.

Drop out.

But, if you like, taxes are a way of us all being partners is the "company" that is the UK.
  • Options
    But, if you like, taxes are a way of us all being partners is the "company" that is the UK.
    But the country is not a plc!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    But the country is not a plc!

It isn't?

On what basis?
  • Options
    "that is, since 1677 - there has been on the statute book of England,"

yadday yadda -

"the general object of which is to declare that no action shall be brought to enforce contracts of the more important class, unless they are put in writing, and signed by the parties to be held chargeable upon them"
    -
    From Ballantynes law dictionary.

Unless there is a written agreement signed by both parties there is no legally binding contract. For anything. At all. Ever. Take this knowledge and have fun with the taxman. (Those parties also have to be human beings too)

Remember signing up to UK plc?

Who was the counter-signatory?