Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Schools bans girl for wearing hair braids

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't see why schools should have dress codes for hair at all.

Clothing I accept, otherwise kids compete with each other with expensive labels, but hair? Sure they'll all try to out-do each other with the stupidest hairstyle, but knowing kids, if you let them get on with it they'll get bored after, ooh, twenty minutes.
  • Options
    well going to an all-boys catholic school it's obviously very strict when it comes to uniform, hairstyle, facial hair etc etc, their take on it is is that a good image creates a good ethos and a good ethos creates a good working atmosphere...sounds alright but supressing adolescents desires, even minor one's doesn't exactlly send out the right signals, leads to disrespect for the school and authority, i say the best way to be is have a bit of flexibility and be strict when needed...
  • Options
    But the Catholic Church bases all its power on suppressing basic instincts.

After all, theres no sign in the desert saying "thou shalt not eat stones".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But the Catholic Church bases all its power on suppressing basic instincts.

After all, theres no sign in the desert saying "thou shalt not eat stones".
    :yes: I agree...
  • Options
    Saying that though yes it is unfair in school children, teenagers alike can become surprised that one can have something another cannot!

However in the world of work where there are certain dress codes for certain jobs will she rebel then?
  • Options
    It's a bit different being paid to wear costumes than being forced to to get something you are entitled to.