Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Houses & Christmas Decorations

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    But how can they possibly make anyone happy and in the Christmas spirit?

And why can people in two room council flats afford to have a lavish lighting display? Is it the old working-class shiny doorstep frame of mind? I hope so.

You actually raise a good point.

Here in Denmark the places that will have the fanciest fireworks at new year is the poorer and working-class parts of greater Copenhagen.
  • Options
    Basically I'm all for live-and-let-live, unless I have to live near one of the tossers who does this sort of thing. In which case I'd invest in an air rifle.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    You actually raise a good point.

Here in Denmark the places that will have the fanciest fireworks at new year is the poorer and working-class parts of greater Copenhagen.

its called making the most out of the coldest and otherwise most mierable time of yr
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    for god sake shuit up will ya!
    its his own thread!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    living next door to them.

:(

My next door neighbour has the biggest lights display in the town (been on This Morning for it a few years back).

I don't go home for Christmas till Thursday, but I hear that there's been more people than ever standing around gawping at them than previous years.

Got a good mind to set up a Nazi style sentry at the spare room window, that'd put an end to it once and for all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    :(

Got a good mind to set up a Nazi style sentry at the spare room window, that'd put an end to it once and for all.
    better still set up a hotdog stand and make a few quid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    christmas... festival of light. :)

No Lukesh you are completely missing the point...yes christmas is about jesus (its what i believe i dont give two hoots if it was originally pagan) , about how he is the 'light of the world' what on earth is wrong with a small candle to show this?

Try spending time in a primary school, see the nativity play see if your views on christmas change. I used to feel christmassy seeing the lights and the decorations now i see beyond this and see that it is offensive, go to church and see the real meaning to christmas.

People getting on togther, celebrating the birth of jesus, we do not need lights to show us this, its all show and complete utter tack!.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

we do not need lights to show us this, its all show and complete utter tack!.

They are not always tacky.....why do you people think lights have to be tacky ?
    I have seen some brilliant displays, they dont look tacky and people have taken time to make them actually look nice. Some I agree dont look as nice, they just stick em up and think they will do but most of the ones I have seen this year are brilliant.
  • Options
    MoK you make an excellent point, christmas appears in many things apart from who can afford the best lights or who can show off the best. I have noticed this year how happy the children in my class feel from giving their christmas cards, or the songs they sing in the nativity, the orange they have in the christingle FACT children are excited this time of year, they love everything, one child told me how she loved christmas because of the smell of chimneys, this child and the rest would rather dress up in the nativity, or see santa or write their cards or dress the class tree, or even do xmas puzzles and carols than see all the lights!

AND LUKESH! if you are so offended by this winterfest lark (which to be quite honest is just a publicity stunt to scare people like you into this paranoid state - believe me the Grinch has not arrived yet, not in the form of a monster, person, alien or even a councillor!)
    If you really are so offended and you really are trying to defend Christians please do not use Gods name in vain! how many times must you say "gods sake"? i just think you are trying to cause a useless debate on something that is not there!

Christmas means a lot more than just lights, yes christmas is about light, but its about a new beginning, new life and a fresh start maybe you should start thinking about that. try doing a google search on "Christingle" you may learn something, or try attending your local church and carol services you may learn a little something.

4 years ago i was asked to do a reading at the local cathedral for a county event, i learnt a great deal about christmas and the meaning behind it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    They are not always tacky.....why do you people think lights have to be tacky ?
    I have seen some brilliant displays, they dont look tacky and people have taken time to make them actually look nice. Some I agree dont look as nice, they just stick em up and think they will do but most of the ones I have seen this year are brilliant.

Because as i have already said Christmas is not about the lights and the glam and the show, its about a silent night, its about the birth of christ and the people putting these lights up to compete with their neighbours (quote S*N 16/12/2004) are using it to show people the meaning of christmas! So whats that a light war of the biggest inflatable reindeer, the largest string of rope lights, the amount of car accidents caused by people stopping to look at them, the amount of arguments caused by falling metal work and the arguments about whos better!

Its disgusting, its a joke, why are we turning Christmas into a national joke.

Only recently i saw an advent calendar for dogs with dogs posing as the key characters in the nativity, jesus was a DOG! it makes a farse of the religion its disgusting.

No not all lights are tacky, but some are a complete eyesore, in fact what on earth has some of the objects got to do with christmas? i have seen chains around a path, but what is this to do with christmas? my dad has done our house up and to be quite honest the lights hurt my eyes but it does look nice, a few houses up my street look lovely i have seen some beautiful houses around, but my cousins house is tacky you would be lucky to reach the door without something playing loud and annoying music, or lights flickering and inflatable santas towering above you!

the truth is some of them do look tacky an dthe argument that children love it is just an excuse most do not!
  • Options
    :yuck:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

the truth is
    that your jesus would be mighty angry!
    xmas celebrations as his birthday are less than 200 years old.
    his apostles wouldn't have been celebrating his birthday in the middle of winter on what was once the longest dakest night.
    the truth is ...your jesus would be even angrier than he was when he saw what they were doing in the temple way back when he trashed the place.
    isn't it true that he is supposed to be coming back ...not as a baby but a warrior with a big sword ...in anger?
  • Options
    I don't think He'd be angry. Upset maybe, but not angry. It's all academic really. I like christmas lights actually, but then I like pretty lights at any time of year. It only annoys me when people have flashing likes at a random house on a dark road. In town, I couldn't give a rats arse. But somewhere random it's really distracting and downright dangerous.
  • Options
    Got nowt better to do than moan and winge about christmas lights.....sheesh, whats this world coming to :confused:
  • Options
    I like them, generally.

There is a house near my nans house in Cambridge, which is decorated brilliantly every year. In the front garden they put up a stable with a nativity scene. They have a small sign asking for donations which go to the childrens hospital. All the children in the neighbourhood go round, go inside the little stable and put donations into the crib.

I used to get really excited going to that house.

People need to lighten up. Christmas is a time to stop moaning and complaining.

As for the person asking how people living in council flats can afford to pay for electricity, that is really none of your business. Why not go and ask them how they can afford clothes/mobiles/cars? Most probably by working, the same as anyone else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Got nowt better to do than moan and winge about christmas lights.....sheesh, whats this world coming to :confused:

The question was asking what people think of Christmas decorations, and people answered it. ;)
  • Options
    I think theyre a free show for my 3 year old, but id never have them on my own house as I think they are the tackiest of the tack. The most i would ever consider would be a few twinkly lights outside, but I havent even got those. My christmas decorations consist of a 4ft tree with some colourful decs on, some tinsel round a cactus, and some handmade paper garlands from oxfam on the ceiling.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    The question was asking what people think of Christmas decorations, and people answered it. ;)

I know....but people moning got on me nerves :p
  • Options
    As unpopular as this opinion is....

I think they're absolutely awful, I really do. A few lights on a tree outside or those icicle shaped lights hanging from a porch are more than enough. I detest flashy santa clauses, inflatable santa clauses and multi-coloured lights. They are the epitome of tack and tastelessness. 'Tis all just light pollution at the end of the day and it detracts from the real meaning of Christmas... lol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    My christmas decorations consist of a 4ft tree with some colourful decs on, some tinsel round a cactus, and some handmade paper garlands from oxfam on the ceiling.

Yar, we have really low key decorations too. I don't see the point in going OTT, kids can still have fun without their home being lit up like the QEII.

I'm glad my parents aren't tacky. :D
  • Options
    You have no idea how relieved I am to see that I'm not the only one who sees this blight as tacky...

Inflatable Homer Simpson Santa anyone?
  • Options
    The Grinch of Kent? :eek:

I have just now sent off an Email to the North Pole requesting that Santa belay that barrel of Chivas Regal which was on its way to Kent... ;):p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    The Grinch of Kent? :eek:

I have just now sent off an Email to the North Pole requesting that Santa belay that barrel of Chivas Regal which was on its way to Kent... ;):p

No way man. I love Christmas, the season of goodwill. Looking forward to my kids faces...

I just don't like all the fucking lights. Too in yer face for my tastes...
  • Options
    It depends on how their done. I have seen some which looked beautiful and some which screamed tacky. Each to his own I guess.

Looks amazing if you ever get to see them from the air.
  • Options
    Class. That is just begging for someone to hide in the hedge with an air rifle.

LC2J4538small.jpg
  • Options
    there's a house by where i live that wouldn't look out of place on the set of close encounters its got that many lights on it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat

LC2J4538small.jpg

god help the person who has to pay that electricity bill
  • Options
    My local has one of those inflatable Santa's in it, it kind of works in the setting, though they look shite on someone garden.
  • Options
    Re: Houses & Christmas Decorations
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Just interested in what other people think about the houses covered in lights. It seems to get worse every year.

Personally I see them as just another example of the chav approach, very showy but fuck all susbstance.

You?

I think that if Jesus returned today and saw how Christmas is, he'd be gutted (wrong date too).
  • Options
    I do think the OTT displays look awful.
    Things like moving reindeers and those santas with waving hands on see saws e.t.c.

Nothing wrong with lots of lights, but the extras just look wrong.

in my humble opinion!