Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teacher jailed for lesbian affair

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    tbh I agree with you about the sex offenders list for 10 years, that does sound harsh. Personally i dont think she's a really bad threat to society. I think her sentence should have been longer though.

if she's not a threat to society the she shouldn't be in prison at all.
  • Options
    I think her sentence should have been longer though.

No it shouldn't.

Graham Rix, the ex-Chelsea coach, got 18 months for having sex with a fourteen-year-old girl, after he got her pissed. And that again was a case of some teenage girl seducing him, and then blabbing about to all and sundry when he found out ehr age and ended it.

This girl is not a victim, I catually think a lot of men get treated harshly in these situations. These teenagers ARE just kids mentally, but a physically they aren't and b) they think that they're adult.

And BeckyBoo, I've told you before about not being blinded by the magical sixteenth birthday, where suddenly, as if by magic, a child stops being a child and everything is all right. This girl wasn't a young fifteen by the sounds of it, the fact that she is under 16 when it is within a year of the birthday is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

And BeckyBoo, I've told you before about not being blinded by the magical sixteenth birthday, where suddenly, as if by magic, a child stops being a child and everything is all right. This girl wasn't a young fifteen by the sounds of it, the fact that she is under 16 when it is within a year of the birthday is irrelevant.

Does it even matter.

The woman BROKE THE FOOKING LAW !!!!!!!!

God i give up on you lot.
  • Options
    Just something for everyone to consider: people have been saying that this girl was by no means innocent in this, but none of us know the actual story, all the ins and outs of what happened. All we can do is make dangerous assumptions...
  • Options
    and ?

So she can get a job in Marks and Sparks, but in the meantime she could have really screwed this kid up...but yeah cos she's on a register for 10 years thats ok :confused:

and now im gonna try and find similar things which involve men and see if there are great differences as to how men and women are charged regarding this kind of offence.

Screwed her up? How? She was nearly 16 and got off with an older teacher in her thirties...big deal...a pal of mine shagged a bird nearly hitting 35 when he was 16, was legendary. It's not a big deal.

And why the big exclaimation over breaking the law? The illegality of something has fuck all to do with debating the morals of it. To use that as an argument is pretty lame...

I would expect nearly all 15 year olds do know exactly what they want sexually, i would say the normality is to know at a far younger age than 15...
  • Options
    But thats how I feel, do you want me to say everything is fine and dandy with me when its clearly not ? I have a problem with people like teachers who abuse their position, moreso when its this kind of thing.

Sorry, strongly disagree with that comment. At 15 yr old a lot of teenagers aint got a clue what they want with regards to sexualtiy. This was a teacher who abused her authority and if she had been a bloke (correct me if im wrong) then she would have had a stiffer penalty.

It wouldn't only have been the penality which was stiffer, I'm pretty sure of that :p .
  • Options
    Does it even matter.

Well at least somebody has noticed that little point ;)

The teacher knew the law, she knew that the girl was under 16 - the legal limit and yet she still persued her interest. Didn't wait until the girl had both left the school and/or turned 16.

This wasn't an honest mistake, it was a flagrant breach of the law. Her sentence is short, although he career is ruined and that will be hard to overcome. Try explaining that at your next interview - "Why did you leave your last job...?"

The age of the girl doesn't make a difference whether it is 15 year 364 days, or 13 years, it is still under the age of consent. A clearly defined point in time.

A responsible adult would not being an affair with anyone if they knew their age like this. IMHO.
  • Options
    Hang on a min, this all happened in 2002. The new sexual offences act didnt get passed till 2003. So she wasnt breaking the law at all.
    She admitted four counts of engaging in sexual activity while in a position of trust during 2002.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Hang on a min, this all happened in 2002. The new sexual offences act didnt get passed till 2003. So she wasnt breaking the law at all.

ah the abuse of power law was in place before though
  • Options
    Id say at least 3 years, cos with good behaviour she would be looking at serving 26 month..ish (rolly will tell us) :D
    As a comparison:
    AP - A US soldier has been sentenced to three years prison after pleading guilty to killing a severely wounded Iraqi teenager.

Staff Sergeant Johnny Horne Jr, 30, of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, also received a reduction in rank to private, forfeiture of wages and a dishonourable discharge.

Horne, attached to Company C, 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry Regiment, based in Fort Riley, Kansas, pleaded guilty to one count of unpremeditated murder and another one count of soliciting another soldier to commit unpremeditated murder.

The charges relate to the August 18 killing of a 16-year-old Iraqi male found in a burning truck with severe abdominal wounds sustained during clashes in Baghdad's Sadr City, an impoverished neighbourhood which was the scene of fierce fighting between US forces and Shi'ite rebels loyal to anti-US cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

A criminal investigator had said during an earlier hearing that the soldiers decided to kill him to "put him out of his misery".
    Now, if it had been a mercy fucking...

p.s. for the record, I'm not against mercy killing, but I don't know all the facts of the above case, so my inclination to disagree with the court's ruling doesn't count for much.
  • Options
    Does it even matter.

Legally no, though age is taken into account.

But that's why she's in jail, eh?

Morally yes, though. 15 and 364 days is not more morally wrong than 16 and one hour.