Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what to do with lords

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Perhaps there could be special cases. Richard Branson for example, didn't even get his GCSEs as I recall, but is clearly succesful and intelligent. Though how would you measure such things?
    Exactly, that's why your system is flawed.
  • Options
    erm every system has a flaw you know, you dont get anywhere by just slagging off suggestions, otherwise we'd get nowhere, they were just suggestions remember

make some suggestions if you think you're so wise
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Exactly, that's why your system is flawed.

Potentially flawed, I personally don't see any real loss with only having those who have achieved a certain level of excellence. Perhaps there could be a system of sponsership? If maybe 10% of the Lords can be persuded that a person who doesn't have the acedemic/professional qualifications is intelligent, then they could stand for election?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    FPTP is the best system for the law making part of parliment, because with % rep you end up with stupid co-alitions and nothing gets done (see Italy).

However, the upper house should have representatives from the smaller parties to put forward other view points on the legislation.

That way in the checks and balances stage minority views would also be taken into account.
    I don't like party politics. There is no political party whose policies I can agree with in full. And I think a lot of people feel that.

A fully independent upper house is my preference. But using proportional representation you could never give the electorate a true choice in who they vote for. It would still be appointed because there would have to be a list of candidates ranked by importance for each party.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    erm every system has a flaw you know, you dont get anywhere by just slagging off suggestions, otherwise we'd get nowhere, they were just suggestions remember

make some suggestions if you think you're so wise
    Slagging off? I'm having an interesting discussion here. Stfu.

[ETA: Language, oops, apologies for offence]
  • Options
    I don't like party politics. There is no political party whose policies I can agree with in full. And I think a lot of people feel that.

A fully independent upper house is my preference. But using proportional representation you could never give the electorate a true choice in who they vote for. It would still be appointed because there would have to be a list of candidates ranked by importance for each party.

And your suggestion is? Local people in local elections? But party politics will get in the way of that, surely the local Lib Dems or whomever will put forward someone.
  • Options
    And your suggestion is? Local people in local elections? But party politics will get in the way of that, surely the local Lib Dems or whomever will put forward someone.
    Well, like I was saying, they should be independent i.e. no party affiliation. They should also put forward a 'manifesto' stating their political ideology and qualifications for the position. The Lib Dems could put someone forward, but their political opinions would be published and the electorate could choose to vote for or against. Such is democracy.

Local people in local elections is not necessarily the answer, but certainly local choice over the Lords, yes.

I find it truly shocking how ignorant people are of the Lords and the legislative process in this country. By voting locally, perhaps that will change.
  • Options

Local people in local elections is not necessarily the answer, but certainly local choice over the Lords, yes.

How to you mean?
  • Options
    So any one can put themselves forward for local election for the Lords.

They would each print a manifesto and the public would read these and compare?

You have a LOT more faith in the public than me.
  • Options

What should be done, and how the public respond are entirely separate
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    How to you mean?
    Just that there shouldn't be a condition that you have to have lived in the area you are standing in for a certain time before you are considered 'local' and allowed to apply for the Lords.

But I think if we are going to be voting for Lords, and they are going to be independent, we need to have a fptp system with constituencies so that you vote for the person who has applied in your area, not someone off a central list. You could then make the Commons proportional representation because people generally vote by party, not by MP.
  • Options

That's more or less what I am proposing.

I have faith in the public. Some call it naivity, I prefer to call it democratic principles.

You cannot assume that the public won't know what's good for them and so have to decide it for them.
  • Options
    Just that there shouldn't be a condition that you have to have lived in the area you are standing in for a certain time before you are considered 'local' and allowed to apply for the Lords.

But I think if we are going to be voting for Lords, and they are going to be independent, we need to have a fptp system with constituencies so that you vote for the person who has applied in your area, not someone off a central list. You could then make the Commons proportional representation because people generally vote by party, not by MP.

No, no no.

You'll end up with stupid co-alitions in the Commons if we do % rep. Laws that need to be made and changes that need to be done will never get past.

You seem to be suggesting the complete polar oposite of what I put forward.
  • Options
    You cannot assume that the public won't know what's good for them and so have to decide it for them.

I can and do. They are in the main dumb beasts.
  • Options
    No, no no.

You'll end up with stupid co-alitions in the Commons if we do % rep. Laws that need to be made and changes that need to be done will never get past.

You seem to be suggesting the complete polar oposite of what I put forward.
    Well I don't particularly like proportional representation, so I'd be quite happy with having fptp for both.

Remind me what you're suggesting.
  • Options
    I can and do. They are in the main dumb beasts.
    That's true, but are you really suggesting less involvement of the electorate in government? Would that not be inherently undemocratic? How would we be able to justify invading Iraq? (:D)
  • Options
    FPTP is the best system for the law making part of parliment, because with % rep you end up with stupid co-alitions and nothing gets done (see Italy).

However, the upper house should have representatives from the smaller parties to put forward other view points on the legislation.

That way in the checks and balances stage minority views would also be taken into account.

There we go.
  • Options
    So you'd stick with party politics in both houses?
  • Options
    That's true, but are you really suggesting less involvement of the electorate in government? Would that not be inherently undemocratic? How would we be able to justify invading Iraq? (:D)

I dont really believe in Democracy per say, I think a benevolant dictatorship would actually be a much more effective system of governance. Long term planning would be possible which it cant be under the current system.
  • Options
    So you'd stick with party politics in both houses?

I dont think you can really avoid it.

You admited that parties would put forward candidates in the local elections, so it would end up being exactly the same as now. Local people can come forward but they virtually always loose.
  • Options
    I dont think you can really avoid it.

You admited that parties would put forward candidates in the local elections, so it would end up being exactly the same as now. Local people can come forward but they virtually always loose.
    They only lose now because people vote along party lines.

I didn't say that the Lib Dems would put forward a candidate because the Lords would have to be politically independent. They could endorse one candidate over another of course.

The flaw I forsee in your proposal is that the government would have too much power. The party whips would be able to force legislation through a lot more easily because the party in power is highly likely to have a majority in the Lords.
  • Options
    They only lose now because people vote along party lines.

I didn't say that the Lib Dems would put forward a candidate because the Lords would have to be politically independent. They could endorse one candidate over another of course.

The flaw I forsee in your proposal is that the government would have too much power. The party whips would be able to force legislation through a lot more easily because the party in power is highly likely to have a majority in the Lords.

So they would 'endorse' a candidate rather than putting them forward, and the difference would be?

And there would be no decent checks on new laws because as you rightly point out the Whips could push it through.

With % rep in the second house the main party in the lower chamber would likely have to get votes from other parties, therefore minority groups would get a little say.
  • Options

unelected doesnt necesserily mean undemocratic, some people are better suited for actually being critical of the laws passed by the public, which go through the commons

the commons decides what to legislate and makes amendment to get it through, and then the upper house makes amendments and decide whether its allowed or not as a whole

just cause the people think somethin gis right, doesnt make it right in terms of the basic principles the nation is founded upon

like if the public wanted wanted capital punishment, it wouldnt go anywhere anyway since it goes against european law
  • Options
    So they would 'endorse' a candidate rather than putting them forward, and the difference would be?

That the Lord would not be subject to the influence of a political party and would therefore be independent. Lords could express opinions without being forced to stick to the party's view, and would have a free vote.
    And there would be no decent checks on new laws because as you rightly point out the Whips could push it through.

No, the whips would only be effective if the Lords had political affiliations. That's not what I am suggesting. I think there would be better checks on new laws with independent Lords.
    With % rep in the second house the main party in the lower chamber would likely have to get votes from other parties, therefore minority groups would get a little say.
    No, the party with a majority in the Commons is likely to have majority in the Lords. PR has the advantage of giving seats to minority parties, but the main parties would still be strongest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    unelected doesnt necesserily mean undemocratic, some people are better suited for actually being critical of the laws passed by the public, which go through the commons

the commons decides what to legislate and makes amendment to get it through, and then the upper house makes amendments and decide whether its allowed or not as a whole

just cause the people think somethin gis right, doesnt make it right in terms of the basic principles the nation is founded upon

like if the public wanted wanted capital punishment, it wouldnt go anywhere anyway since it goes against european law
    But the basic principles were presumably based on what the public wanted.

FYI:
    de·moc·ra·cy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-mkr-s)
    n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
    1.Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    2.A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3.The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    4.Majority rule.
    5.The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.
  • Options
    But the basic principles were presumably based on what the public wanted.

FYI:
    de·moc·ra·cy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-mkr-s)
    n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
    1.Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    2.A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3.The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    4.Majority rule.
    5.The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

erm democracy, as the idea was founded was a government that represented the people, it doesnt necesserily mean elected majority, as having first past the post isnt always an elected majority, nor is the presidential elections

you can have someone that has what the people need, but they may not realise it yet

the older the more i realise how democracy is tyranny of the stupid masses
  • Options
    Personally I would like to see some sort of genuine bi-cameralism; if we shifted slighty towards the model shown in the US Congress but with a dose of PR. A possibility for academic kick about would be

House of Commons:
    Elected on a party list system (PR) for a period of 2 years, in three classes.

House of Lords:
    Elected on a FPTP, with single member constituencies, for the life of the Parliament.

The government could be formed by the majority party of both houses. A dose of PR would lead to a break up of the two party political system, but the rotating nature of the Commons, and FPTP of the Lords would ensure a Parliamentary government perhaps based on a 2 party coalition would embody greater democratic legitimacy, whilst ensuring that there was a reasonably effective government.

Personally I would be wary of making the upper chamber a one for an appointed elite, as by nature that is undemocratic, and would result in a good consultative body, however one which is as ineffective as the current Lords, as it would have little democratic credibility, to ‘stand up’ to the Commons.