Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Regional Assembly: yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    'Cos they're shiny?

And mahoosive.
  • Options
  • Options
    May I ask Kentish, where do you live?
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Using my psychic powers, I have feeling he maybe from Kent. :p
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I seem to remember that he was at Durham University, so perhaps he lives in Durham?
    Originally posted by Kermit
    DU Queen's Campus in fact
    From Kent, now living in Newcastle upon Tyne, having lived in Stockton (actually Yarm, which is in North Yorkshire :p ). I was indeed at Durham university and went to Durham, ooh, 3 times? That's how integrated the two campuses (campi?) are :D.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The Tees Valley. Yeah, that's right. Kind of; they're all unitary authorities now.

The police are still called Cleveland;)
    It's all very confusing. Cleveland doesn't officially exist any more. Nor does Teesside although it's on all the motorway signs. The river Tees used to be the border of North Yorkshire and County Durham, but now Tees Valley is the preferred term for everything on the banks of the Tees, including Darlington which is a unitary authority.

Even more bizarre is that Teesside Intl airport is now Durham Tees Valley airport despite it being further from Durham than Newcastle airport is.

Maybe we need a regional assembly to sort out all the names.
  • Options
  • Options
    The north east in general is beautiful. County Durham could be wonderful, it's just the towns that let it down. And the lack of jobs and all that...

North Yorkshire and Northumberland are my favourite counties so far.

Durham Tees Valley Airport. It's not really Teesside though. It's nearer Darlington. It should be County Durham Tees Valley airport to avoid confusion.
  • Options
    Cheers for the geography lesson chappies, Bumblebee don't take my comments too seriously ;)

Down here we also like to confuse things with Bristol Airport being in North Somerset and our the continued use of the name Avon by the emergency services even though Avon as a unitary authority was abolished.

Maybe its all a cunning plan to confuse any foreign powers who tried to invade this country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I do believe Newcastle airport is farther away from Durham, than Teesside airport. Takes an hours drive to Newcastle airport and 30 mins to Teesside

It takes 15 minutes from where I live to drive to Newcastle airport. It takes 10 minutes to drive to Durham City in the opposite direction. If I started at Durham City I would pass my house in ten minutes and then another 15 to the airport. That is 25, perhaps a half hour. If traffic is at a standstill on the A1 I would add maybe 20 minutes to that. Or are you taking it from where you live in County Durham, father away from the city itself?
  • Options
    Im not sure at the moment on what i will be voting for, but am going towards no.

How I see it is that if I vote Yes then its gonna cost me more money every year, but on the other hand would things be better for the North East ?

Help.......come on you political lot, you know the inns and outs of all this.........tell me the reasons why I should vote NO....cos thats what im swaying with at the minuite.
  • Options
    Oh did they actually go for that name?

and quite a pathetic name in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Im not sure at the moment on what i will be voting for, but am going towards no.

How I see it is that if I vote Yes then its gonna cost me more money every year, but on the other hand would things be better for the North East ?

Help.......come on you political lot, you know the inns and outs of all this.........tell me the reasons why I should vote NO....cos thats what im swaying with at the minuite.

Personally I don't want to pay towards yet another ineffective tier of government. I don't think that it will do anymore for the north east than is already being done and I think it will create yet another barrier between the north east and the rest of the UK. I personally think it will be a waste of money and a waste of time. I've already posted my vote back, as have my parents and they all say the same thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    Teesside Airport is now called Durham Tees Valley.

I wonder if the train station at the airport will ever get used now?

Oh, and for a DH1 postcode, Newcastle Airport is the closest according to multimap. But if you go down the road to Shincliffe then Durham Airport is closer.
  • Options
    Personally I don't want to pay towards yet another ineffective tier of government. I don't think that it will do anymore for the north east than is already being done and I think it will create yet another barrier between the north east and the rest of the UK. I personally think it will be a waste of money and a waste of time. I've already posted my vote back, as have my parents and they all say the same thing.

But you are already paying for it, and it already exists.

All the regional assembly will do is give a democratic element to the Go-Ne quango, and take a lot of powers away from the quite frankly terrible county councils. The unitary authorities probably won't lose that much- the RA will take control of Nexus and that'd be about it I presume.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sir John Hall (former chairman of Newcastle United)

I think that links in nicely with what I said earlier in the thread. The north east people (<i>some</i> of whom are 'Geordies' :rolleyes: ) seem as a collective to want to think they're hard done by, which I don't believe for one moment and I've lived here all my life.
  • Options
  • Options
    Along with Cumbria and rural North Yorkshire, there is a distinct separate culture to the generic 'Englishness' that's found everywhere else. On official forms I always say I'm British because to me, English doesn't cover where I'm from. If it comes up in conversation I stress that I'm from Cumbria, or that I live in Newcastle. I tend to identify more almost with the Scots because I'm closer to their capital. I never say I'm English. I don't feel English. I don't think a lot of people from the north of England do, because everything revolves around the capitals and we are pretty much as far away from London as it's possible to be in this country.

I'm not saying that this is a fantastic reason to vote for a regional assembly. But I do think it's an important factor.

I've never found that. I don't know anyone personally who wouldn't identify with a sense of being English (as well as British... I don't want to get into that debate here, hehe!) just because of where they're from. I don't feel 'cut off' from the rest of Britain although I do agree that we have a slightly different culture from the south east. The same could be said about those living in the south west, or even the midlands though. Isn't that just natural diversity?

I don't want the north east to have another reason for being 'different'. And I've just never been convinced by the claims that have been made in favour of a regional assembly. It is all well and good saying they'll have powers to do x and y, but they have failed time and time again to say how they would do it. How will they create jobs?

Too late now anyway, I've voted and sent the ballot paper back.
  • Options
    Democracy, in my opinion depends upon active participation; the more elected bodies there are the greater the public control of the state is.

We have a bi-cameral legislature, with one elected chamber. Our executive is split between a hereditary monarchy, and the internally elected leader of the majority party in the Commons. Our judiciary are appointed by the government. We also have various elected local governance – in the countryside, I believe there is a County, District and Parish structure, whereas in most urban areas there is a unitary authority; the members of which are elected. Supra-nationally, we have the European Parliament. To me this doesn’t seem like much, in the US, and other states, the entire executive and legislative offices are elected directly, and in many states the judiciary are also, although I do accept that the US and UK are totally different countries, the many levels and various elective bodies in the US do give the voters more control over what goes on.

In the UK, power has been devolved from the Monarch over the years, to the Barons, to Parliament, which crew from the Curia Regis (1066ish) – an appointed body of advisors to the King, to the present semi elected, Sovereign law making body in the UK. I believe that, over time a regional assembly would grow in influence and authority as its Westminster father has.

The ‘debate’ has, I agree been pathetic, however, the more direct accountability in the system, the more power we, the electorate have to demand change. If nothing else, the regional assembly would offer the holistic electorally endorsed voice of the region; which would by nature have greater influence on central government, and in the media, than the voices of a plethora of local authorities, which are heavily dominated financially by the centre.

We, as a region have the opportunity to take greater control of the region, a minor rise in tax, in my opinion is worth it.

As someone from the North East, I usually put my nationality down as British, I don’t particularly see myself as much else, perhaps European, but that is a very broad label.