Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My dad's gay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so, he isn't literally gay... but you get the point.

Anyway, the post is about sexuality, my sexuality...not my dads.

Right, it's Saturday... I'm in the livin' room watchin' the OC....The one where the boy sees his dad kissing another man, then runs away in shock.

So, as they kiss... which lasts a while... my dad walks in... 'n he's all "Yeah! That's what he gets! HE SHOULD have TOLD his FAMILY he was GAY."

Which left me like WTF! ...I was just wondering you guys think he might know I'm bisexual?

'Cause it really isn't like him to comment on something like that... or even talk to me at all.

Comments

• Options
    Could it be possible he was just joking and wasn't taking it seriously?
    Like my dad always teases my brother about his sexuality who is bi - Though my dad doesn't know that. And would ask him questions like; if someone give ya million quid to sleep with a guy, would ya? And me bro would think about it for a second and me dad would start shouting, calling him a poof and all - Though only messing.

Possibly you getting paranoid, would ya not think?! :)
  • Options
    lol...I guess you oculd be right. It's just ....I hate my dad and he basically feels the same for me....though not goth syndrome "I hate thre world" thing. Past has made us pretty much "intensely dislike" each other, but yet still have a kind of bond...in other words, we avoid talking to each other. So, I found it pretty strange when he commented at all...So, I dunno...besides... I dunno how he could possibly know I'm bi anyway. lol.
  • Options
    I use to be like that with my dad - Only reason we were close, cause we were sadly related.... hehehe
    Families can be like that; as we can't always see Eye-to-Eye. For all you know as the years go by, you may get along better with your dad. Just going through a phase now probably. I mean, I love my dad now to bits; though a few years ago; I found, I could never get close to him coz he was always a distaned man. Now he has no choice but to put up with me... :)

Would you ever consider telling your dad about your sexuality? I mean what would happen, if you started going out with a lad?!
  • Options
    If you don't think there's any way he could, then he probably doesn't know. Things take on a different meaning depending on the context, so for you knowing that you're keeping this secret from your family you will be sensitive to comments about other people's sexuality.

Even if he does know, you're not obliged to take his hints and tell him. It's none of anyone's business except yours!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I doubt he's 100% sure even if he has guessed and unless you decide to tell him then it'll always just be a thought and not a certainty.
    In think you're probably just being over sensitive about it so i shouldn't worry, whenever we try to hide something or keep a secret we always do get paranoid.

p.s who was kissing who on the oc? I keep missing it because it's on when i'm at work :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina
    p.s who was kissing who on the oc? I keep missing it because it's on when i'm at work :(
    Luke's dad and his business partner.
  • Options
    Possibly, I mean he might have wanted to see your reaction, see if you made some comment about it. Maybe it was an attempt to start a conversation? I dunno, am not close with my dad, never talk just argue and sometimes he asks random questions maybe 'cuz he'd feeling guilty and wants to talk.

Either way though, don't worry 'bout it. Let him wonder...
  • Options
    i wouldnt worry about it too much....
  • Options
    Originally posted by *§atania*
    Possibly, I mean he might have wanted to see your reaction, see if you made some comment about it. Maybe it was an attempt to start a conversation? I dunno, am not close with my dad, never talk just argue and sometimes he asks random questions maybe 'cuz he'd feeling guilty and wants to talk.

Either way though, don't worry 'bout it. Let him wonder...

Hey, thanks for that...it kinda sounds like the relationship I have with my dad.

But, maybe y'all are right. I guess I'm prolly just over reacting. Or, it could just be... I don't bring any girls home... ever. And, I never will... ever. Well, not as long as he stays here. I do, however, have alotta friends stay over :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by chriss-kun
    besides... I dunno how he could possibly know I'm bi anyway. lol.

Didn't you let slip at your gran's b'day party?

ETA: I just realised this was an old thread. Sorry.