Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People only self harm to be cool.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But the article was stating that everyone who does it IS like that. An abhorrent view that groovechampion came and repeated, before getting all arsey when people attacked him back.

You got arsey, not me! I agreed with one of your posts then you went on a rant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    :yes:

And in response to your post to me you strange, demented, uninformed little freak (not you Kermit :p), you said I was attention seeking, you quoted my post and said I was attention seeking.

I did not misunderstand the article. YOU misunderstood the article. Where was it trying to find reasons why people do it? Where? Tell me, 'cause I must be blind. What it was doing was having a totally uninformed opinion based on nothing. That's what it was doing.

And don't call me a shithead.

Shithead.

Blind? Maybe. Thick? Probably.

The whole article is about the reasons people "self harm". It talks about control, the desire to manipulate people, the desire for sympathy, desire to be different, desire to punish friends and family etc.

You called me shithead first you self indulgent, pretentious loser.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Blind? Maybe. Thick? Probably.

The whole article is about the reasons people "self harm". It talks about control, the desire to manipulate people, the desire for sympathy, desire to be different, desire to punish friends and family etc.

You called me shithead first you self indulgent, pretentious loser.

yes, that is what the article says. and yes, it is a pile of shite.

*x*franki chicken*x* you cannot take this personally. ignore him if you want but this is not really a thread on personal attacks on self harm, it is more general so dont think that he was attacking you personally (to start off with)

groovechampion, can i ask if you have ever come in contact (real life i mean) with someone who self harms?
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy

groovechampion, can i ask if you have ever come in contact (real life i mean) with someone who self harms?

Yep, there were people at school and now there are people at my uni too. My ex-girlfriend did as well.
  • Options
    The whole article is about the reasons people "self harm". It talks about control, the desire to manipulate people, the desire for sympathy, desire to be different, desire to punish friends and family.
    Firstly, I don't understand why you put self-harm in inverted commas. But that's not really the point. When will you realise that not everyone self-harms for all the reasons you've stated above? For most people, yes it's about a desire to take control but not to manipulate, receive sympathy or hurt anyone else. I understand that if your ex-girlfriend used to self-harm then you would have felt very hurt by it at the time, but I am almost certain that wasn't her intention. Most self-harmers I know say that they can't take the feeling that they're hurting the people they love. It's a selfish action in the truest sense of the word: you actually don't give a second thought for anyone else when the desire to hurt yourself has taken over. However, it's not selfish in the sense that you know when you're doing it that you're hurting people and carry on anyway. There's a big difference.
  • Options
    Thank you, piccolo.

Most self-harmers don't do what the article said, therefore you can't "partly" agree with the article. You either think all do, or you disagree with the tripe written by the Sunday Torygraph, who should be ashamed of themselves.

And I find it funny how anyone who disagrees with groovechampion is "pretentious" or "self-indulgent".
  • Options
    Rich coming from you. As soon as I disagree with you, I'm a
    "santimonious, ill-informed gobshite". [/B]

Most self-harmers don't do what the article said, therefore you can't "partly" agree with the article. You either think all do, or you disagree with the tripe written...

So you can't partly agree with it?
    There, of cvourse, was some truth in that article.

I think it's you that talks tripe.

Then your opinion is worth jack shit.

And no, you shouldn't be expressing it on a message board where a lot of people cut. You are way out of order.[/B]

Yeah? Wait...Didn't you? In far more negative and unsubtle terms too...

I find it disturbing how many people cut themselves slightly, little mroe than scratches, in order to pretend that they cut. And then milk the sympathy until it stops, then suddenly the problem gets worse and they get a second course of loving warm attention.

I suspect one or two people in this thread scratch and then make a song and dance about it, and sadly it is those vermin who ruin it for the rest of us.
    [/B]

Pretty much exactly my opinion, I appreciate that there is such a thing as genuine self harm that is entirely unselfish and un-manipulative. But there is a significant
    proportion, as the article says, that is manipulative, selfish and in search of sympathy. This may not even be a conscious search for sympathy or desire to manipulate
    just a coping mechanism for depressed/angry teenage girls (and a few guys).
  • Options
    But there is a significant proportion, as the article says, that is manipulative, selfish and in search of sympathy.
    #

There isn't a significant proportion at all. There's a small minority, but as I've said- some peopel claim their mates have died in order to garner sympathy, does that mean that all grieving people are selfish arseholes?

No offence or nothing, but I have an armful of scars that show that i don't talk tripe. Yeah?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Everyone who admits to self harming has a problem whether they're genuine or not. Yes, those that are genuine are a higher concern and at a higher risk of seriously hurting themselves, but the others who 'pretend' and seek attention obviously have some issues too.

I admit that I don't understand it because I can't ever imagine being in a state where I would want to do that to myself, so I find it worrying that so many people on here admit to self harming.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Everyone who admits to self harming has a problem whether they're genuine or not.

Exactly. If you do it because you're unhappy you are in big toruble, but you have to have serious isues anyway to cut yourself for "attention".

Thing with the article and some of the responses on here is that is shows the typical attitude to mental health issues- pretend they're just looking for attention and suddenly it isn't a problem.

I would worry about the prioritising of SH ahead of other mental health issues, however, as kaffrin has commented.
  • Options
    Exactly. If you do it because you're unhappy you are in big toruble, but you have to have serious isues anyway to cut yourself for "attention".

Thing with the article and some of the responses on here is that is shows the typical attitude to mental health issues- pretend they're just looking for attention and suddenly it isn't a problem.

Just because people self harm for certain reasons doesn't stop it being a problem, thats not what I was saying.

Ever heard of Munchausen's syndrome? The reason people get it is because they seek sympathy and attention, but it's still a problem.

http://www.munchausen.com/

It's a well established disorder.