Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mid-student-life crisis :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is anybody else feeling this or am I alone?

Now in the summer after the first year, missing everbody, living alone until september and working long hours to gradually make up the debt incurred by my fun first year. Can't even think about going out or anything, and when I do its serious budget - earlier this week I went out for a night on £3! (free buses with my bus pass and three £1 bottles of Becks)

Now reading Freshers' Week guides and getting down thinking about how excited I felt this time last year, and wanting to live the first year all over again. I'm missing the chaos of halls life and the attitude that no matter how craply I do in uni work it doesn't count... from now on it does. Haven't been in contact with many friends for ages and very few are actually living here until term starts. And I won't be able to do my 6-nights-a-week marathons anymore, for money and practical matters.

Is it normal to find the summer after first year so crap???

(sorry for the rant, just need to get a few things out of my system! been working for 12 hours today...)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, I reckon a lot of people will feel that way. I know I won't be repeating the antics of my first year this coming year, my studying couldn't afford it :p

However, I think you're catching a glimpse of the real working world to come, heh. Probably not as bad as all that (since you won't always have to pay back a year's worth of pretty much solid drinking!) but I don't think the first year of Uni is a lifestyle you get to live more than once. Unless you just repeat your first year continuously and take out more and more loans...always a thought :lol:
  • Options
    Thing is I enjoy my job - I look forward to work, but then I think of it compared to a couple of months ago and it seems my expectations of enjoyment have dropped considerably!
  • Options
    I was feeling a bit like that but since I have started organising things for next year I am getting excited about different things, like having a house instead of being in halls. It is not as good when I think that my results have to be more than just a pass but there are other positives.
  • Options
    I'm a bit down. My bf is at uni with me and I can't wait for this summer to end so I can go back and be with him. Plus, I can't cope with the whole family life again - I'm used to doing my own thing :(

I'm at work, which is really good. Hardly any of my friends work though, so they mostly do stuff during the daytime. I don't care though. I'm the one who's not gonna be in debt at the end of the summer. :D
  • Options
    uni is over-rated. you just miss being in that tight secure little bubble with all yer mates and yer loan and yer cheap cheesy mid-week nights out etc etc etc... have a healthy dose of reality to keep your sanity in check, go back and enjoy yourself. you've had your first year - game's over now. knuckle down.
  • Options
    I disagree, I reckon you can go out just as much in 2nd year at uni as you did in 1st. its not til you get to 3rd year that getting more than a pass counts. I pissed about in 2nd year just as much as i did in 1st year, maybe more actually coz when i got to 2nd year i could actually legally go out and get drunk. I learned to calm down a bit in 3rd year, but i think that was mainly due to moving away from all my friends I had made and starting afresh at a new uni. Now though the thought of having to stay in all the time to concentrate on Honors projects etc just depresses me more, but i know that i'm gonna more than make up for it next summer. Anyways thats my comments on the matter.
  • Options
    Re: Mid-student-life crisis :(
    Originally posted by Rocks

Is it normal to find the summer after first year so crap???

Mine was, but that was probably because i had my parents nagging at me 24-7 about all my problems. Blah.
  • Options
    Are you going to have to work next year? Poor little Hobbitses!

2nd and 3rd years are more enjoyable because it isn't just messing around getting pissed.