Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tony Blair lied to us......

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Again, I encourage you to read thoroughly through the links I provided, particularly the Pelletier and USAWC reports, both of which confirm that medical exminations of Kurds fleeing into Turkey showed clearly the effects of "blood agents" (namely Cyanide) which Saddam did not stock nor use. Saddam's recorded use of chemical weaponry in that epoch was confined to mustard gas, a "blister" agent, which rarely kills and certainly not to the scope alleged by the inflated villification politically motivated to justify a full scale invasion.

I submit these exceprts from the first link and hope people will finally lay aside their media fed filters and read with objective clarity...
    Supposedly Hussein gassed Iraqi Kurds at Halabja in March 1988 during the closing days of the Iran-Iraq war. But it isn't true. In 1990, the U.S. government found that the Kurds died by cyanide gas. It was the Iranians who used cyanide, while the Iraqis used mustard gas. This means it was the Iranians who accidentally killed the Kurds during battle. Hussein had nothing to do with it. (Source: Army War College, Stephen Pelletier & colleague)

In a related lie, Hussein is also said to have committed genocide in August 1988, killing 100,000 Iraqi Kurds with machine guns, then burying them in mass graves. U.S. intelligence services have uniformly dismissed this story. According to Stephen Pelletier of the U.S. Army War College, no such mass graves have ever been found because none exist. The incident never happened. Human Rights Watch, which originally reported the story, has since retracted it, but the lie lives on.

Saddam Hussein did not try to assassinate George Bush, Sr.

Bush, Jr. loves to tell the story of how Hussein "tried to kill my dad." But it's not true. Investigative reporter Seymour Hersh debunked the story in a December 5, 1993 article in The New Yorker titled "A Case Not Closed." The bomb was actually miles away from Bush, Sr. and was likely a set-up by Kuwait to keep Clinton from easing sanctions on Iraq.

Saddam Hussein's soldiers did not remove babies from incubators in Kuwait.

A New York public relations firm hired by the Kuwaiti government created this story to win American public support for U.S. military action against Iraq. The fiction was based on the tearful testimony of a Kuwaiti woman before the U.S. Senate as it debated war in 1990. The woman claimed to have witnessed the incubator incident with her own eyes, but she was really the daughter of the Kuwaiti Information Minister, and hadn't even been in Kuwait on the day the alleged atrocity took place. (See csmonitor.com/2002/ 0906/p01s02-wosc.html.)

On a final note, I ask readers to reflect further on the nature of any and all modern governments, be they classifiable as "tyrannies" or "democracies" (Republics or otherwise) and how even OUR OWN leaders would react (and indeed have reacted) to mass uprisings intended to topple the prevailing system of the day.

I cannot speak for British history (though im sure some students here could provide documented cases), but I can point to both the Kent State Massacre of the 1960's and the Bonus March massacre of the 1950's (where the US government massacred protesting VETERANS) as demonstrable and documented evidence that Saddam does not stand out as unique in the application of force on "one's own people" to ensure the continuance of the domestic status quo.

Our leaders apply liberal use of the phrase "the rule of law", yet seek every angle possible to avoid adhering to it even as they demand (upon threat of military force) that weaker nations do so. The more things change, the more they stay the same and in this matter, we seem to find ourselves (for all the efforts of the past century to establish multilateral mechanisms for non-violent conflict resolution) right back in the imperial age of the 19th century.