Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is the point...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    *yawn*

Could say the same thing about those on the dole.

You can be an objectionable little arse on occasion.

The comparison with those on the dole doesnt work. Those on the dole have the chance to work themselves up to get a job etc.

However hard I try I'm never going to live in a Palace.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You can be an objectionable little arse on occasion.

I try my best.

The comparison with those on the dole doesnt work. Those on the dole have the chance to work themselves up to get a job etc.

However hard I try I'm never going to live in a Palace.

You could always get a job as a domestic servant in Buckingham Palace:p

But I digress.

The Royal Family do a lot of work- you might not think it is work, but it is. It is very rarely discussed or mentioned, mostly because it doesn't fit the republican agenda, but there is a lot of work that goes on amongst the senior Royals.

Though yes, Prince Michael of Kent is a lazy bugger. But there's one in every family.

And if you work hard enough you could live in a palace...not Buckingham Palace, granted, but one of them. Not even the Royal Family live in Buck House.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But if we were to adopt the American system instead of the French one there wouldn't be any extra elections.

There would.

Presidential elections and Parliamentary elections are held at different times.
  • Options
    Whats the point,

I wouldnt like to call my self a royalist but I feel that overall we benefit from the Royals

Firstly we ger £300 Billion pounds a year from tourism, dont tell me there all coming to get a sun tan, no there coming because of History and Culture, If only 1% of those people are coming to see the sights cause "its where the Queen lives" then were still making a masive profit, of course its much more than 1% .
    If there wasnt the attraction, of Buckingham Pallace, Windsor Castle, being where the most Famous (by far) royal family in the world and head of state stay, then I think there would be a lot less tourists.

Also consider September the 11th if that plane had crashed into a packed house of commons, this might cause unstability, if we didnt have the Queen, in such a case we would be able to move quickly to establishing a new government elections etc, with out that stability there might be arguments and infighting, but if as I say the Queens there to say for example, this will be the new government untill elections in 2 years, then no ones going to argue with that
  • Options
    I know they do some work Kermit, but to say they are the same as us now is a bit of a lie.

Them - big palace no work they NEED to do

Me - flat, work I HAVE to do.
  • Options
    There would.

Presidential elections and Parliamentary elections are held at different times.
    Oh.

I thought both the Congress and the Senate in the US were voted in at the same time (i.e. Presidential elections).
  • Options
    Don't kill me, but give it three years and Fergie's daughters will be rather yummeh.

Those girls are plain ugly. Sorry.
    But as me and my friend concluded ysterday, even the nicest wardrobe can't save an unattractive woman.
  • Options
    I know they do some work Kermit, but to say they are the same as us now is a bit of a lie.

Them - big palace no work they NEED to do

Me - flat, work I HAVE to do.

So they don't need to work for a living? Neither does Richard Branson, but no-one suggests beheading him. So perhaps they feel superior to the rest of the population? You can't outlaw arrogance.
  • Options

They aren't the same as us. Because we don't have money.

But I aren't the same as Bill Gates, for the same reason. It happens.

Most Royal income actually isn't from the Civil List; Charles, for instance, makes a large amount of his income from the Duchy of Cornwall, especially his ranges of organic produce.