Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Obesity- responsibility of the government or of the individual?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What MoK said.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Tax isn't a punishment, but it can be a way of society raising the funds to treat those conditions generated from you making your choice. Remember, in the UK we all fund the NHS...

Is there anyway we can tax or fine people that have unprotected sex without a long term partner? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum
    Is there anyway we can tax or fine people that have unprotected sex without a long term partner? ;)

If the Govt could find a way then I'm sure they would...

But I get what you mean and I think that if it was possible then that is precisely what the Govt would do...
  • Options
    people shldnt bring their kids up on it, my mum didnt and i turned out just fine, cook proper food almost every day and im a student so if i can anyone can!

people know mcdees is bad for them and still eat it loads its their fault not the governments!

and i alaways state this fact and noone reads it - so

WE EAT LESS CALORIES A DAY NOW THAN 10 YEARS AGO!!!!

so its exercise thats the problem also just get ur kids to walk to skool or whatever
  • Options
    When the great global cooling comes, I will be glad to have my layers of blubber.

:)
  • Options
    Huh? You would still be able to make your choice, just that the cost would be higher...
    But if the cost is so high that people can't afford it, the choice is removed.
    I think the government should do more to reduce adverts for unhealthy foods sold by KFC, McDonald's, etc, but it's an individual's responsibility to eat healthy food and do enough exercise so that they don't become overweight.
  • Options
    Tax on fatty foods? Taxation is theft!!

Maybe the government should have health warnings (even then a person isn't obligated to take notice of them) on junk food but tax?? Shit, the state shouldn't dictate to people what they can and cannot eat!
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    and i alaways state this fact and noone reads it - so

WE EAT LESS CALORIES A DAY NOW THAN 10 YEARS AGO!!!!

so its exercise thats the problem also just get ur kids to walk to skool or whatever
    I happily admit to knowing bugger all about nutrition... but could it be that the amount of saturated fat and salt we eat today is far higher than what previous generations ate?

Presumably it's not all down to calories and other factors are involved. Many healthier foods, even some fruits such as bananas have a sizeable amount of calories. Perhaps the answer then lies in the fats responsible for 'bad cholesterol' and the ever-increasing amounts of salts and sugars we find in certain type of foods- namely junk food and McShite burgers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I happily admit to knowing bugger all about nutrition... but could it be that the amount of saturated fat and salt we eat today is far higher than what previous generations ate?

Presumably it's not all down to calories and other factors are involved. Many healthier foods, even some fruits such as bananas have a sizeable amount of calories. Perhaps the answer then lies in the fats responsible for 'bad cholesterol' and the ever-increasing amounts of salts and sugars we find in certain type of foods- namely junk food and McShite burgers.

EDITED TO SAY (i not a doctor or anything i just know the general efects from knowing them)

yes youre right there, but calories is jsut the total amount of energy, ie fat and sugar, so some fruit is quite high calorie only cause of natural sugars, but is still good cause, well its fruit and minaly just water anyway

but to the point, you can get obese from not enough exercise to make up for the fat + sugar intake

too much refined sugar just does the teeth in, in reality. too much salt causes heart problems, saturated fat/cholestrol causes high/low blood pressure effects, all of which are assocated to obesity because of a bad diet overall, the size alone causes heart problems etc due to stress on body of supporting the weight

so some people are naturally larger than usualbut the really large people it is their own cause, and lack of self control/exercise
  • Options
    The problem, as I see it, is our increasing intake of carbohydrates. Fatty foods or even higher sodium intakes can and do lead to certain problems but obesity is more a matter of the modern fast paced carbohydrate based diets most of society relies on. When you couple that with the increasing cocooning we have taken to practicing (office, home) you have the perfect recipe for a bulging wasteline.

The secret ive found to burning it off fast is L-Carnitine and just a small bit of regular exercise.

*Sorry to sound like and advert but this stuff was a bloody miracle find*
  • Options
    I personally believe in walking to and from the pub, rather than using a taxi :p
  • Options
    the question is: obesity - responsibility of the government or of the individual?
    well maybe you are all concentrating on what the government can do food wise too much...
    how about if the government intrduced heavily discounted gym membership, or free use of swimming pools? i think this approach would be usefull because alot of people dont have enough education about exercise to lose the weight, which a personal trainer could teach. also, as someone said, the poorer people, who are more likely to eat the cheaper, unhealthier foods, (huge generalisation there) cannot afford the £40 per month gym membership. also people may live in unsafe areas so going out for a run or a walk it not possible... so perhaps the government could use their power in this way rather than taxing unhealthy foods! just an idea;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    But if the cost is so high that people can't afford it, the choice is removed.

What is "can't"? Surely that is just giving up. Why not save for it, why not try to improve you income generation, if it is something which you really want...?

Not everything in life is "affordable"...
  • Options
    I dont think the government telling us what to do in regards to eating too much would do much good, people would just presume we live in a nanny sate then.

the idea of a fat tax ie raising prices on fatty food doesnt strike me as very good, if people really want it and still afford to buy it they still will regardless of the government hiking the price to try and make them change their habits and eat more healthfully

i think if people really do want to eat more healthfully they will but if they dont they dont and its really up to them

so therefore i think it is more the individuals responsibitly other than the goverments, people shoudl try and take more control of what they put into themselves if they can and we shouldnt have tony blair and his cronies enforcing what they think is good for us on us.

just my two pennies worth anyway
  • Options
    Incidentally, I don't know if you guys have heard but the chairman of McDonalds Corporation dropped dead yesterday with a heart attack. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1195620,00.html

*bites tongue really hard*
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Taxation is theft!!

Says somebody who is having NHS treatment. The sort of treatment that some people would kill for, that some people wait months or longer for... then complains.

Why have NHS treatment if you believe taxation is theft?

I'd say maybe the idea that stick thin is beautiful is what's wrong? maybe one day big will be beautiful as we'll all be fatasses from all the crap we eat.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I don't know if you guys have heard but the chairman of McDonalds Corporation dropped dead yesterday with a heart attack. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1195620,00.html

I've been wondering how long it would take someone to post that. Admit it you've been waiting for the right moment haven't you?
  • Options

:lol: Oh the irony... (not that death is funny mind you ;) )
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I'd say maybe the idea that stick thin is beautiful is what's wrong? maybe one day big will be beautiful as we'll all be fatasses from all the crap we eat.

hmm... well being big isnt a bad thing. but being 'obese' is, it's unhealthy and can lead to serious health risks.

maybe mr roll was right, maybe it's just evolution's way of trying to decrease our population...