Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

St George's Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Major Tom
    dont throw your toys out of the pram! you have made it abundantly clear you despise everything about this great country so why dont you piss off out of it? oh, and take abu hamza with you!

If you can find where I've said that I hate this country, you can have my next months wages. In fact its usually idiots like you who bang on about how this countries shit, usually whinging on about foreigners or other bigoted nonsense.
    In fact I love this country, and one of the reasons I love it is due to the multicultural makeup and the fact that most people (except a handful of cowardly wankers like yourself) are welcoming of other cultures. We have one of the most vibrant creative cultures in the world, encompassing design, fashion, music, popular culture etc, and this is down to the fact that we do have lots of immigrants feeding in different influences and mixing it up. An insular culture is a dead stagnant culture. Is that what you want? It would go with your stagnant dead brain anyhow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    If you can find where I've said that I hate this country, you can have my next months wages. In fact its usually idiots like you who bang on about how this countries shit, usually whinging on about foreigners or other bigoted nonsense.
    In fact I love this country, and one of the reasons I love it is due to the multicultural makeup and the fact that most people (except a handful of cowardly wankers like yourself) are welcoming of other cultures. We have one of the most vibrant creative cultures in the world, encompassing design, fashion, music, popular culture etc, and this is down to the fact that we do have lots of immigrants feeding in different influences and mixing it up. An insular culture is a dead stagnant culture. Is that what you want? It would go with your stagnant dead brain anyhow.

Oh you are very mature now! Resorting to personal attack, is that not against the boards rules? Grow up and argue a point maturely!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Oh you are very mature now! Resorting to personal attack, is that not against the boards rules? Grow up and argue a point maturely!

well thats the last sentence of his post dealt with, how about the rest of it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

Major Tom's personal attack was OK though?.
    If you actually bothered to read what I wrote, I did actually engage with MT's absurd attack. But you won't see that will you? And that really doesn't surprise me, given your utter hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blackout
    well thats the last sentence of his post dealt with, how about the rest of it?

Exactly.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    St George's day anyone?

Two personal attacks don't cancel each other out despite what some posters seem to think, now leave it out.
  • Options
    Do I celebrate St Georges Day? No. I don't celebrate St Patricks, St Davids, St Valentines or any other Saints days either. Why should I? I'm not a Christian.
    But I have no problem with people who do.
  • Options
    i celebrate life ...regular like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog

And how about some proper English music? The Irish have some great pub bands. Bring on the English ones!

like oasis ?!?!
  • Options
    Surely we can do better than that dirge.

I'd go for:

Dreadzone
    The Coral
    Bad Manners
    Roots Manuva
    Bally Sagoo
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Just out of curiousity, do you celebrate Easter and Christmas?

I take the holiday and get pissed and go to parties and swap presents. But not because I'm a Christian, but because its a nice fun thing to do. They were originally Pagan festivals anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    because i have to work the next day
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Stella? Not very English is it.

Course it is. Staple diet of the English 'ooligan. :D

It's English like Chicken Tikka Massala is English.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question but is there a traditional way that people celebrate St. George's day? I'd never heard of it before this post and I looked through that link about who he was but there was nothing to describe how people commemorated it.
  • Options
    Not really any traditional way anymore thats standard throughout the country (others correct me if I'm wrong). When I was a kid in the 70s, we had a special service at school with the reading of the story mainly. Also when I was in the cubs/scouts the local packs would meet for a parade and church service.

Unfortunately at some point in the 80s in England patriotism became too associated with the Right and especially the Far-Right unlike the rest of the British Isles. Hence the idea of St Georges Day being celebrated seemed to die off on the whole.
    Its still celebrated by some but most don't bother doing anything special, unlike other countries and regions who hold him as their patron saint.