Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wheezing after Exercise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Decided that it was time I did some exercise so I went for a jog through this valley near me. Finished my run and was wheezing pretty badly, still am now but it's get better. Should I be worried? Or is it that I haven't exercised properly in ages and it's a sign of my lack of fitness?

I don't smoke either btw.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not sure, are you asthmatic?

Maybe just a case that your unfit, but I'd check with NHS Direct if I were you.
  • Options
    Nope don't have asthma as far as I'm aware. Never had an attack or anything.

Today was my first strenuous piece of exercise in quite a while and the hill I had to climb was big :p

I don't wanna ring NHS Direct up and them telling me I'm unfit go away.
  • Options
    I imagine it's just because, as you say, your body is unused to the exercise. I'd see the doc if it happens after relatively little exercise or continues after you get fitter.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're unfit. And it sounds like you've pushed yourself too hard too soon. Back off a bit, and do frequent gentle excercise, say three modest runs a week, rather than killing yourself on one exhausting one. Then after a few weeks, step it up a bit.
    You should always be a bit breathless after excercise, but not coughing and spluttering.
  • Options
    have you been to the doctors to make sure you don't have asthma? y brother, whom is in top shape wheezes after workouts and stuff. they gave him an inhaler to prevent it and help it.
  • Options
    Well I'm changing Doctors sometime this week so I'll book myself an appointment at the same time.

The wheezing isn't a new thing, even when I was a fit young lad I used to wheeze after exercise.
  • Options
    Think it was just a shock to your system.

When I went for a bike ride after a month of no riding I came back & was knackered & i felt like what i did when I did the 3000m back in school.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    yeah, it could be just cause you're not used to it, but it's a good idea to go see the doctor, just to check.

cause being able to breathe is pretty vital :p

i'm very very unfit, and if i do any exercise, i get very breathless and pant lots, but i don't actually wheeze.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if i do any exercise, i get very breathless and pant lots
    :chin: ....*resists urge* :D
  • Options
    Re: Wheezing after Exercise
    Originally posted by Eeyun
    Decided that it was time I did some exercise so I went for a jog through this valley near me. Finished my run and was wheezing pretty badly, still am now but it's get better. Should I be worried? Or is it that I haven't exercised properly in ages and it's a sign of my lack of fitness?

I don't smoke either btw.

it honestly sounds like you're asthmatic. you dont need to have an big attack to have asthma, even those little wheezes are tiny attacks. ive had asthma ever since i was 2, you can develop it at any time of your life. it's also probably partially due to you not exercising much recently. just get it checked out by the doctors, and dont panic, it doesnt sound too serious
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. When I get registered at the doctors I'll get an appointment. Not gonna do any jogging today, I'll leave that til tomorrow and see what happens then.