Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DEAD - for the Price of Petrol

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    aside from that it's usually the moderately depressed people who kill themselves. the severely depressed are either insitutionalised, or of no sound mind to get out of bed, let alone plan their own death.

I don't agree with that, how can someone plan thier own death only be moderately depressed?
    I mean for instance they make sure no one finds them until its too late. You make it sound like they didn't want to die really if they werent THAT bad.
    I disagree strongly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I don't agree with that, how can someone plan thier own death only be moderately depressed?
    I mean for instance they make sure no one finds them until its too late. You make it sound like they didn't want to die really if they werent THAT bad.
    I disagree strongly.

trust, there are utter idoits in the world
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    trust, there are utter idoits in the world

Maybe but not everyone is like that. Maybe its too close a subject for me to be talking about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I disagree strongly.

people never think that they're not that bad. moderately depressed people see themselves as severely depressed.

but in reality, with the severely depressed people, it's not that they don't want to die, they just don't have the energy or the presence of mind to actually do it.

the greatest risk time for the severely depressed people is when they're starting to get better
    Why do people attempt suicide when they appear to feel better?

Sometimes a severely depressed person contemplating suicide doesn't have enough energy to attempt it. As the disease lifts she may regain some energy but feelings of hopelessness remain, and the increased energy levels contribute to acting on suicidal feelings.

taken from www. save.org
  • Options
    What kaffrin is saying is "common knowledge" among people who deal with this.
    If you imagine the mood of someone with depression as a curve then it's at their lowest that they just don't care for anything, they just don't have the resources or energy to contemplate. When their mood starts to better (but is of course still low) then it's when people surrounding them should be most aware about what's going on.
    Of course some never get to the point of "that" bad, as they commit suicide before they've reached bottom.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    What kaffrin is saying is "common knowledge" among people who deal with this.
    If you imagine the mood of someone with depression as a curve then it's at their lowest that they just don't care for anything, they just don't have the resources or energy to contemplate. When their mood starts to better (but is of course still low) then it's when people surrounding them should be most aware about what's going on.
    Of course some never get to the point of "that" bad, as they commit suicide before they've reached bottom.

Yeah i know, hard to accept tho when you have lost someone very close to you.
  • Options
    i know quite a few blokes who buy and sell second hand motors fo a living. never have i heard of anyone syphoning out the bleddin petrol before selling it!
    by the way ...even a battery driven watch can ignite petrol.
    as for welders ...a good welder will remove the petrol tank not refuse the work. the job is pricier of course cos theres more work.
    i find it hard to believe someone would take the petrol out when selling a car. my mind has boggled again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i find it hard to believe someone would take the petrol out when selling a car. my mind has boggled again.

I don't, i'm not surprised, people can be so tight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Or mobile phone.

I thought they dispelled this myth on Brainiacs a few weeks back. Got an old caravan and doused it, inside and out, in petrol and then filled it with mobile phones. They then ran the phones and the caravan didn't blow up.

BUT

what they did do was then get a guy in a shell-suit tracksuit to jump up and down for a bit and then touched a fuse wire that ran into the caravan and the static that had built up travelled down the wire and blow the caravan up.

So it's safe to fill you car up and use the phone but don't go anywhere near a petrol station in static building clothes. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    I thought they dispelled this myth on Brainiacs a few weeks back. Got an old caravan and doused it, inside and out, in petrol and then filled it with mobile phones. They then ran the phones and the caravan didn't blow up.

BUT

what they did do was then get a guy in a shell-suit tracksuit to jump up and down for a bit and then touched a fuse wire that ran into the caravan and the static that had built up travelled down the wire and blow the caravan up.

So it's safe to fill you car up and use the phone but don't go anywhere near a petrol station in static building clothes. :p

Yeah i saw that, was good.
  • Options
    Two things:

1. A family freind was a train driver who hit a workman on the line who didnt get out of the way when he should have done- the foreman messed up and didnt tell the workers that a train was coming. The driver had to retire after that, and he is still haunted by it, but there was nothing he could do. An emergency stop for a train at 125mph takes 1.5 miles to complete.

2. Kaffrin is right in a lot of ways, the level or two above rock bottom is the most dangerous place for a depressive. People who commit suicide ARE selfish, there no other way of describing it, but to blame them for it is stupid. Its the very nature of the illness that makes the depressed so self-centred- they retreat into themselves and only think of themselves, and how horrible their existence is, no-one else ever enters their mind. It is ungrateful, but I suppose the crux of the point is that it simply isnt their fault.