Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A work situation has been upsetting me

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer

I have recently completed a shift at an agency. One of my workmates told me to sit down when they sat down and eat some other food we were offered on our break. However, he smiled with my other co-workers, saying one of their names was nice. I thought he was showing me up and felt singled out, embarrassed, patronised, and judged. It has affected me, making me imagine my manager would ask a question. Then, I would be slow in answering, and my teammate would tell me to answer the manager’s question. I cannot predict the future, though, and that scenario will unlikely happen. I have answered my manager’s question before, but my teammate never responded. It is possible I interpreted him as maybe trying to make me feel welcome and preventing me from feeling isolated as patronising. Perhaps because I am not used to his personality.

My feelings and thoughts, though, are valid, regardless of my rational thinking.

Comments

• Orchid059Orchid059 Moderator Posts: 277 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Creativeboy23 from my understanding it sounds like perhaps your co-worker was trying to be nice and perhaps you misinterpreted it, and that's completely okay because it can be hard to read people sometimes especially new people. I am glad you can recognise that how you feel is valid and that you deserve to be heard because that's entirely true. Even when we feel like are thoughts may not be entirely rational, it is still nice to have the opportunity to get them off our chest and vent to others. However, I would suggest if you feel like their behaviour and comments are becoming more questionable/ regular, perhaps raise it with another staff member or your manager because there is no room for bullies in the workplace.

How are you finding the agency work, besides this altercation with your co-worker? Is this agency work permanent or will they relocate you again?

Let us know how you get on :3
  • Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer

Hello @Orchid059.

That is true. I have already spoken to the manager about it, and she has passed it on to the relevant department.

I was overwhelmed with managing and memorising multiple drink orders, although that is normal when doing demanding jobs; there were faulty tills, I struggled with pouring pints, and there were a few drinks I did not know. I struggled to navigate the drinks on the till, but I know I can continually improve these skills. I did my best, which is the main thing. It is good enough. I thought I did not give any drinks to the customers and could not keep up with the drink orders. It was good that I asked my teammates and manager for support, but I had to keep going to them whenever I struggled, making me look unqualified. One of my teammates was angry when helping me, which increased my stress, although it was not personal. I remember him apologising, but my experience has made me scared about doing other shifts.

I have still put my availability down for more shifts, though, despite my negative experience, which shows how strong I am. I have never encountered the difficulties when I did previous bar work. It has made me think that I am not as experienced as I thought, even though that is unlikely. I have previous bar experience. I would not have been offered the job if I lacked the experience. I might not be used to bar work in that environment and the structure.

No. It is casual work. I will let you know.