Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Independent study tips

PetiteQuarkPetiteQuark Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
Guys so what are your tips to focus during independent study and revise better

Comments

• kaiikaii Posts: 523 Incredible Poster
    Hi @PetiteQuark,

This is an interesting thread idea! I find that what helps me revise better is studying in a nice environment - this can be something like the library or in a quiet room with minimal distractions. I usually don't like studying at home since my room is quite messy and I get distracted quite easily hahah. Studying in the library might help you focus better since there's not a lot of visual clutter too!

Pomodoro timers might also be helpful for focus - our brains can only take in so much info, so it's good that pomodoro timers give you regular breaks. You can find various ones on YouTube!

I also like to use active recall methods for revision - for example this could be doing past papers or making your own questions to the class content and testing yourself with them when you need to revise a topic. Blurting (writing down everything you can possibly remember from a topic) is really helpful too as it can highlight which areas you're confident with and which areas you don't know as much - you may be surprised by how much you know about a topic!

I'm aware that active recall is kind of dependent on the subject you're studying though - this method of studying might be more effective for those who do science subjects (but it can still be helpful to an extent for non-science subjects!). What subject/s are you taking? :smile:

Best of luck with your studies and I hope this helps! :3<3
  • Katie12Katie12 Posts: 324 The Mix Regular
    I agree with @kaii, i find the environment really important. i like changing things up so i don't get bored of one place like visiting a cafe or different spaces in a library i found really helpful!
    It is different fro everyone but i find that i need to listen to something to focus. I try listening to music that i do not know the lyrics to through so that i don't get distracted and start singing along lol :lol:
  • Matthew_04Matthew_04 Moderator Posts: 166 Helping Hand
    These are great study tips! I also find creating mindmaps of certain areas of the course super helpful, even trying to create them from memory first before consulting your notes and filling in the gaps.
    It can be super difficult to get motivated to study so remember to take lots of breaks and reward yourself for your hard work too! :3
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,555 Extreme Poster
    i'd say remember to break things up into manageable chunks - it helps massively with then scheduling your time and also feeling like you're getting through things (stops it being overwhelming)

also i'd say if possible try and go for walks when you have a break (i know not everyone can) or even just sit outside - for me, just 10 minutes or so outside for some freshair - i feel it gives your brain a moment to process everything so that when you go back to your work/study, you're there with a clear mind

remember whatever you are studying - you can do it :3