Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I don't have gcses

TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,909 Extreme Poster
edited July 18 in Work & Study
I feel ashamed to admit this but I don't have any GCSEs, but I completed college courses. I didn't manage to achieve a grade 4 in maths and english, in college or school. I'm just worried about my future even more now, I'm scared ill never get a job. I'm looking for a job atm and I'm ok doing entry level job like working in a shop or warehouse or something for now. The jobs I apply for have not asked for them when applying like on the job ads. A course did ask me about them but I explained that I don't have them and they declined me so it made me scared. I knew it might be an issue with more advanced positions and all that but I thought entry level positions would be ok, I'm also aware some employers in terms of entry-level might still ask but I thought there's many without.

The thoughts that I'll never get a job really scares me. I really want to still get a job as soon as possible really. I've been so down about this all day, Im pretty sure my family think I'm a let down and I'm going to be in this position for life, I have been told today I'm a let down by them and this was before they even knew I have no gcses. The fear of not getting a job is bigger and I really am screwed if i don't get one. There's no back up plan if you don't have a job like if you start a business or something like that and it doesn't work out people have a back up plan work case scenario to get a job but if I don't get a job, I have no back up plan apart from be unemployed all my life with no goals, that's my biggest fear. I know there's retaking these qualifications but I really thought I could get into work now and I was done with my studies.

Comments

• TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,909 Extreme Poster
    eylah wrote: »
    hi. @TheNightmare . some jobs take on ppl wiothout gcses. some do apretiships too. you cold try volunteering. to get ur cv looking snazzy with skills. you can do learning on the job too. what job do u want in future?. keep going. you got this. <3 also. it ok to have none. i failed mine. but got english level 2. functionak skill. so dw abt not having any. <3

@eylah I would like to work in a car related career. There's are options to me which is great, I will consider those. Can I ask if you got functional skills in maths or did you pass gcse maths? Thanks a lot.
  • eylaheylah Posts: 3,862 Community Veteran
    hi. @TheNightmare . some jobs take on ppl wiothout gcses. some do apretiships too. you cold try volunteering. to get ur cv looking snazzy with skills. you can do learning on the job too. what job do u want in future?. keep going. you got this. <3 also. it ok to have none. i failed mine. but got english level 2. functionak skill. so dw abt not having any. <3

@eylah I would like to work in a car related career. There's are options to me which is great, I will consider those. Can I ask if you got functional skills in maths or did you pass gcse maths? Thanks a lot.

no. failed maths. sad but will do it in future. i did care work with only english. so it is possible. just different work ppl have different requirements. oh wow. like car mechanic? or selling cars?.
    keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. 🤍

no. failed maths. sad but will do it in future. i did care work with only english. so it is possible. just different work ppl have different requirements. oh wow. like car mechanic? or selling cars?.

@eylah Maybe selling cars

@eylah Maybe selling cars

have u found any yet? do they have gcse requirements.
    edited July 18

@eylah
    I have actually applied to some and they have given calls but I think I need to develop skills working with people and all that. They didn't mention anything about gcses or anything. I might need them tbh, like maybe at some point I can go on an adult course to redo my gcses if I wanted a better job but atm I just want to get job that will give experience, skills and an income. You have to start somewhere.
    @eylah
    I have actually applied to some and they have given calls but I think I need to develop skills working with people and all that. They didn't mention anything about gcses or anything. I might need them tbh, like maybe at some point I can go on an adult course to redo my gcses if I wanted a better job but atm I just want to get job that will give experience, skills and an income. You have to start somewhere.

yeah. i hear you. no matter what age. you have to start somewhere. maybe in near furture. you could go back to college and then re sit them. no pressure. just a idea. <3 proud of you. <3
    @eylah

yeah. i hear you. no matter what age. you have to start somewhere. maybe in near furture. you could go back to college and then re sit them. no pressure. just a idea. <3 proud of you. <3

Thanks so much
    @eylah

Thanks so much

if you need any help. with gcse or job help. here for you.<3
  • JustVJustV Posts: 5,466 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 23
    I'm not sure if this helps @TheNightmare, but I spent three years at college, failed all my subjects every year, and left with nothing to show for it. I had some GCSEs but that was it.

Then when I did start my career, it was in something completely different to the things I did well at in GCSE. I kind of stumbled into it to be honest, starting with volunteering, which led to an internship, then eventually paid work. It was fairly slow going but the path there kind of revealed itself to me as I moved through it - it wasn't something I planned.

When I was in college and when I dropped out after my third year, I honeslty thought I'd spend the rest of my life in catering or customer service. Up to that point I'd worked in a fish and chip shop for about 5 years, and I figured I'd just be stuck there. But slowly but surely, things changed for me.

The same can happen for you too. :) Opportunities will find you if given enough time, and if you persue the things you enjoy and that you're good at. I know it can be tough because when you're a bit younger it feels like the walls are closing in and there's so much pressure to have a plan, to have a career, and to sort this stuff out (I had a super hard time with that too). But something I've really learned is that a lot of this stuff is luck and time and waiting to see what happens. You're a smart guy and you clearly have a lot of determination to get the job you want, and that counts for a LOT.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    The truth resists simplicity.
    JustV wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this helps @TheNightmare, but I spent three years at college, failed all my subjects every year, and left with nothing to show for it. I had some GCSEs but that was it.

Then when I did start my career, it was in something completely different to the things I did well at in GCSE. I kind of stumbled into it to be honest, starting with volunteering, which led to an internship, then eventually paid work. It was fairly slow going but the path there kind of revealed itself to me as I moved through it - it wasn't something I planned.

When I was in college and when I dropped out after my third year, I honeslty thought I'd spend the rest of my life in catering or customer service. Up to that point I'd worked in a fish and chip shop for about 5 years, and I figured I'd just be stuck there. But slowly but surely, things changed for me.

The same can happen for you too. :) Opportunities will find you if given enough time, and if you persue the things you enjoy and that you're good at. I know it can be tough because when you're a bit younger it feels like the walls are closing in and there's so much pressure to have a plan, to have a career, and to sort this stuff out (I had a super hard time with that too). But something I've really learned is that a lot of this stuff is luck and time and waiting to see what happens. You're a smart guy and you clearly have a lot of determination to get the job you want, and that counts for a LOT.

@JustV Thanks so much for sharing your experience; it’s really inspiring to hear how things turned around for you. It’s comforting to know that success can come from unexpected paths. I’m curious—what are you doing now? I’d love to hear more about how things have progressed for you since then. Thanks again for your thoughtful response!
    edited July 23
    I just do this for a living! I work for The Mix, started out as a volunteer a decade ago. :) My first paid role here was as a Community Manager, but I'm based in our Volunteer Training team now.

I've been here a while (as some of our senior members will know haha) but it's let me develop skills I could never have developed in my previous work life. I've made connections now that mean I could branch out a bit if I wanted to. I also moved from Cornwall to London because of these opportunities, so it's kinda wild how many doors that volunteer role opened for me.

Admittedly though, part of it is luck, and I think people underestimate how big of a role that plays in the opportunities you get access to in your life. Lots of dice rolls.

I'm quite a big advocate for volunteering and allowing yourself the time to build skills and make your own journey, because that's ultimately what my life is built on.

No worries by the way, glad it was helpful! I know it can be hard to see a way out when you feel stuck, and I remember speaking to successful people who took less traditional paths when I was younger really helped me see that my world was more open than it felt at the time.
    edited July 23
    I just do this for a living! I work for The Mix, started out as a volunteer a decade ago. :) My first paid role here was as a Community Manager, but I'm based in our Volunteer Training team now.

I've been here a while (as some of our senior members will know haha) but it's let me develop skills I could never have developed in my previous work life. I've made connections now that mean I could branch out a bit if I wanted to. I also moved from Cornwall to London because of these opportunities, so it's kinda wild how many doors that volunteer role opened for me.

Admittedly though, part of it is luck, and I think people underestimate how big of a role that plays in the opportunities you get access to in your life. Lots of dice rolls.

I'm quite a big advocate for volunteering and allowing yourself the time to build skills and make your own journey, because that's ultimately what my life is built on.

No worries by the way, glad it was helpful! I know it can be hard to see a way out when you feel stuck, and I remember speaking to successful people who took less traditional paths when I was younger really helped me see that my world was more open than it felt at the time.

@JustV that's great, can I ask if you work from home, or is it at an office?
    Our arrangement is hybrid (mostly remote working with some in-office) :) but there are quite a few types of jobs in this sector that are fully remote, it depends a bit on the role
    Our arrangement is hybrid (mostly remote working with some in-office) :) but there are quite a few types of jobs in this sector that are fully remote, it depends a bit on the role

Sounds decent mate, maybe one day I could work for the mix lol.