Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Should I get friendship making apps

JMMV2005JMMV2005 Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
I’m thinking about getting apps to meet friends in my area, is this a good idea?, what can I expect?, what do I need to be prepared for and is it safe?

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,424 Part of The Furniture
    Morning @JMMV2005! This probably depends a lot on what apps you're using and how you're using them, and then the decisions you make once you meet someone.

A lot of people use apps like Bumble to find friends, or they might use other websites to look at local meetups and things like that. So they can definitely be safe. But it's best to take a few precautions when using sites like that to protect yourself just in case:
    • Never share your full name, address, or anything that identifies you
    • Keep your communication on the app until you become friends (there's more protection there and you can just block / delete them if you want to cut things off)
    • If you're meeting somewhere in person, pick somewhere public at first, and it might be a good idea to tell a friend or family member where you are
    • Give yourself a hard exit time if you meet someone (e.g. "I'm meeting a friend for dinner at 8pm"), so you always have a way out of an awkward or difficult situation

As for what to expect - it varies, to be honest! If you make it clear in your bio what you're looking for, that helps a lot. But when you're meeting people for the first time you tend to come across all kinds of folks, and I'd recommend being open to that going in. :)

I don't have loads of experience using apps like that just to make friends, so other people here might have some more direct experience to share with you.

Hobby groups or social groups on places like Facebook can be pretty good for this sort of thing, particularly if you're into nerdy stuff like board games or D&D.

What kinds of apps are you thinking of using?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • JMMV2005JMMV2005 Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
    @JustV I haven’t decided what app to use, what one would you say is best?
  • amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 260 The Mix Regular
    Hey @JMMV2005 from my experience with this, Facebook groups were really useful when I moved to a new city. (I also tried Bumble Friends though found the conversations never really turned into meet ups).

Facebook groups in your area can be really good to find people with the same interests as you. For example, I would make an introduction post saying I like baking and going to cafes, and then I would get responses from people who are into the same things. It's then up to you to connect with them via DM or even make your own group chat! After talking online you may decide to arrange something. I met up for a coffee with a couple of people this way and it was genuinely so lovely to get to know them and we had lots in common :3

Regarding safety I agree with the things above about being in a public place, somewhere you know, having a designated time etc. etc. It's always good to take some precaution - and you never have to feel obligated to reply/stay if you feel uncomfortable.

I hope it goes well and you connect with some friends, keep us updated <3

• eylaheylah Posts: 3,167 Boards Guru
    i would let someone know if you meet someone ofline. as it can be dangrous. or take a friend with you. i took a friend with me when i met my now best friend. she was always lovely and who said she was but. saefty is always first priority. i met her of facebook. so would look on there at diff groups. hope you meet friends. <3.
    vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. truth and courage arent always comfortable. but they are never weakness.
    @amy02 I was gonna try bumble bff or something like that but maybe it’s better if I use Facebook, although I thought there was no one my age on Facebook, or is that just a stereotype?
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,424 Part of The Furniture
    JMMV2005 wrote: »
    maybe it’s better if I use Facebook, although I thought there was no one my age on Facebook, or is that just a stereotype?
    It depends a little @JMMV2005 - the younger people I know who use Facebook, use it basically just for keeping in touch with family, marketplace, and local meetup groups. It seems to be a niche that Facebook has held on to despite not really being a young person platform any more.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    @JustV ah ok I’ll have to give that a try, will have to find some interests they have groups for in my area