Home› Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

📣 Reinventing The Mix's Helpline: Introducing The Mix's Peer Support Chat Service! 📣

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 1,057 Wise Owl
edited July 4 in Community Announcements
Many of you will have seen our announcement a month or so ago where we shared that The Mix's 1-1 helpline is transitioning into an exciting new service! :)

Well we're excited to now announce our new peer support chat service! 📣

Why are we moving from a 1-1 helpline to a 1-1 peer support model?

This change was led by young people. Our Youth Advisory Board acknowledged that there had been an increase in crisis contacts coming through and advocated for a preventative peer support service, which still allowed young people to develop connection with others.

What is a peer support chat service?

Our Peer Support Chat gives you a 1:1 space with a trained volunteer to talk about anything and everything that's on your mind, and figuring what your next steps might look like. We can also offer signposting, support spaces and other resources you can check out. You can book one 45 minute session and be connected with a volunteer that has had a similar experience to you.

How does it work?

Step 1: Visit the Peer Support Chat Service page.
Step 2: Fill out a brief form and tell us what you'd like support with.
Step 3: Select a volunteer that matches your needs and book a session.
Step 4: You will receive a 45 minute session to explore your thoughts and feelings with the volunteer.
Step 5: During and after your session, you will also receive further signposting and resources via email.

When is this happening?

Stay tuned! Our new service launches August 2024.
♡♡♡

Comments

• Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,485 Community Veteran
    Hi @Gemma I think this is going to be a brilliant addition to the new helplines on here!. I think having a peer support 1:1 chat will be actually more helpful and accessible for a lot of users as I am aware that the old 1:1 chats weren't very efficient and that you could waiting for a while to get put through to a volunteer/person. Also, I was wondering when it does officially launch if you are looking for any volunteers that could help out with the 1:1 support online. I am more than happy to lend a hand <3.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,206 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Amy22. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the new peer service.

It is positive to hear your thoughts - especially as a volunteer on both services! In terms of volunteering, all opportunities are listed here.

Please do shout if you have any further thoughts or questions about The Mix's new service! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 1,057 Wise Owl
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Hi @Gemma I think this is going to be a brilliant addition to the new helplines on here!. I think having a peer support 1:1 chat will be actually more helpful and accessible for a lot of users as I am aware that the old 1:1 chats weren't very efficient and that you could waiting for a while to get put through to a volunteer/person. Also, I was wondering when it does officially launch if you are looking for any volunteers that could help out with the 1:1 support online. I am more than happy to lend a hand <3.

Hey @Amy22 - it's so lovely to hear your thoughts and that you think this will be a great addition to our other services at The Mix! It will be launching in August 2024 but we don't yet have a specific date. I'd keep an eye on our socials for updates though. :)

Like Laura mentioned above, you can view all our volunteering opportunities online and this is where you would apply for any new opps!
    ♡♡♡
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,485 Community Veteran
    Aw thank you both! I really appreciate it a lot. Im just inbetween searching for work at the moment as well as alongside boosting my cv too.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films