Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Can’t seem to make friends

Amille_ZayrAmille_Zayr Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - but basically what the title says ..

It is hard for me to make genuine friends, it seems as if no one wants to be around me. I think I’m a pretty happy person in general and I can hold a conversation, but still it’s hard for me to make friends.

I only have one friend now and she is barely a friend at this point because she loves to ignore me. It is very difficult to see other people around my age out with their friends and I only have my mom..
AZ~

Comments

• lunarcat522lunarcat522 Moderator Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    @Amille_Zayr Sorry to hear you're struggling to make friends, do you know what makes it difficult for you?

Are you sure your friend definitely ignores you? If it's online it could just be that she's busy or hasn't seen your messages. I'm sorry if she is ignoring you because it's awful having to endure that it's not a nice feeling at all.

I totally get it being difficult seeing others a similar age with friends but try not to compare yourself as you never know, maybe they're struggling too with friendships

I'm not sure if you've heard of the website but I've found it quite useful to refer to and it has a variety of areas covered including making friends https://succeedsocially.com/

Hope things get better for you! <3
  • Amille_ZayrAmille_Zayr Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    @lunarcat522 yes I am sure she ignores me, because she always reads my messages and never responds and sometimes I have to text her again a few days later to get a response.

I don’t know why it’s so difficult for me to have friends. I like to go out and do fun things and everytime she’s wanted me to join her with doing any activity I have.

Thanks for the recommendation I’ll check it out
    AZ~
  • IsThisJustFantasyIsThisJustFantasy Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    @Amille_Zayr your feelings are understandable - making friends can be difficult. Your self-worth isn't defined by other people's expectations or perceptions of you. There are people who do want to be around you, as it can be about whether we are around the right people who share our values.

You don't deserve to be ignored by your friend, if your friend is doing this intentionally they aren't being a good friend. It's great that you enjoy going out as there are opportunities to meet new people.

Activities for young people can be available within communities. Youth centres are examples of places that provide this, and these centres offer chances to meet people with similar interests.

The right friends who value who you are will come eventually.
  • issieissie Moderator Posts: 56 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Amille_Zayr,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Struggling to make friends/hold friendships down can be super overwhelming and disheartening, especially when we are trying really hard! I think it's important to remember that lots of young people, of all ages, have a hard time making friends. It's a really inconsistent time in our lives because there is so much change, whether it be personalities developing or choosing different paths and it can be really hard to make friends! Everyone is still figuring things out and it can mean that forming friendships is quite difficult. It's so great to hear that you like to go out and do fun things. Are there any clubs or groups that you could join to try and meet some more like-minded people? I find that this can be a really great place to start with meeting people!

Let us know how it goes & remember that this community of lovely people is always here for you! <3