Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to support a deaf friend or colleague ✨

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 670 Incredible Poster
edited May 12 in Health & Wellbeing
It was Deaf Awareness Week last week, so we wanted to talk about how we can best support a deaf friend or colleague. Remember, everyone’s experience is unique, so take the time to ask how you can best support them. 💛

See below for some tips and advice written by Henry Hughes DLY, a member of our Youth Advisory Board 👏. You can see Henry's full article here.

Alt text spoilered:
How to support a deaf friend or colleague
Written by Henry Hughes, a Youth Advisory Board Member for The Mix

Communication
The same rule does not apply to all deaf people. Some deaf people will sign and some might lip read. Deaf people are uniquely different from one another and the way that we communicate will vary, so don't be afraid to check-in and ask. Remember when it comes to lip reading, we need to see your face as well as your mouth. Saying 'I'm okay' might sound the same but it can look different on people's faces.

Hearing aids & cochlear implants
These helps me access sounds that I cannot myself, but it is not the cure to all hearing loss. There is a stigma that when I put on my hearing aid and cochlear implants, I can understand everything around me, but that isn't the case.

3 things to do
1. Ensure that content has shared subtitles
If you're sharing clips, music, or messaging ensure that you have the appropriate text to go along side it.

2. Talk at a consistent pace but not too slowly
Talking a consistent pace can be helpful to understand a person but talking too slowly can be seen as a rude, spoon feeding approach.

3. Ask how we are coping with our auditory environment
If you know a deaf friend or colleague has a hard time absorbing a lot of sound, check-in with them. Constantly having to focus on hearing or understanding something can be very tiring.

3 things not to do
1. Don't raise your voice thinking it will help
There are much better way to get your point across. Perhaps find a quieter location, write down what you are trying to say or phrase your sentences differently.

2. Don't have your back to a deaf person
It can be really disrespectful to have your back to a deaf person and places lots of social barriers up. This is why when people form a closed group away from people, it can put a lot of barriers up.

3. Don't touch hearing devices
It's non-negotiable to snatch or touch a deaf person's hearing device, so if you ever see someone do that, don't be afraid to speak out.

m37sh1gwr2un.jpg

u55wdi3l2hba.jpg

i3h0a4hg0sxb.jpg

qw98czl6zhkp.jpg

vhpnewk0azsh.jpg