Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trauma - trigger warning abuse

BensonEBensonE Posts: 99 Budding Regular
A mod asked if I would be comfortable sharing my trauma and this is something I previously shared so I'm happy to share again

So when I was younger I was taken into care twice I only remember the second time. When I was taken into care the second time I was placed with 3 different Foster families. 2 of them was Foster families and 1 was emergency Foster parents (I was placed there between the other 2)

My first Foster family use to locked me in a room for hours on end by myself with zero toys or any entertainment I must of only been 2 or 3 years old at the time and from it I developed a irrational fear of people shutting doors on exit of rooms and being stuck in rooms (sticky doors etc.) For years I never knew why, I even had night terrors and then one day I came across the truth and social services got my therapy because I was struggling soo much. My therapist told me my issues wasn't caused by my trauma and that my trauma did nothing to effect my mental health and it was all todo with the fact I was raided by my grandparents (I left 3rd Foster family because my grandparents got custody) for those of you whom know psychology know my therapist had a massive freud view on my issues

I also have adulthood trauma but it's less soo distressing and caused little harm but will share at some later point

Comments

• Options
    Orchid059Orchid059 Moderator Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Hi @BensonE it takes great courage to share that with the community and I am so sorry that you had such a traumatic experience with social care and the fact that your therapist invalidated your experience and feelings which is highly unprofessional. That must be so demeaning and upsetting for you. Remember that your feelings are valid and you are allowed to feel the way that you do. Please don't let that bad experience stop you from reaching out for support because we do want to help you and we are always here to provide you with support. Have you spoken to another professional counsellor/ therapist since? As I think it is very important that you receive the correct support and advice moving forward.

Keep reaching out <3
  • Options
    Orchid059 wrote: »
    Hi @BensonE it takes great courage to share that with the community and I am so sorry that you had such a traumatic experience with social care and the fact that your therapist invalidated your experience and feelings which is highly unprofessional. That must be so demeaning and upsetting for you. Remember that your feelings are valid and you are allowed to feel the way that you do. Please don't let that bad experience stop you from reaching out for support because we do want to help you and we are always here to provide you with support. Have you spoken to another professional counsellor/ therapist since? As I think it is very important that you receive the correct support and advice moving forward.

Keep reaching out <3

I have I spoke to a mix counsellor last year, my mental health goes up and down

Honestly one of my adult traumas is less of a trauma and more of what if I didn't do what I did would that person still be alive, and could I of done better to support them long run and was there anyway I could of saved the friendship

My most recent experience of something similar I'm now seeing I was holding onto a dead friendship for too long it needed to die and maybe be reborn but I kept asking was it worth saving and kept getting told yes
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 this is the new thread of my past trauma I created
  • Options
    ameliaJayneameliaJayne Moderator Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    @BensonE Thank you so much for sharing your trauma story. It is truly so brave of you.

I think this will really help people who have faced similar situations to not feel so alone. Your words are very powerful/impactful and hearing how courageous you are is so inspiring.

Well done for taking the initiate to reach out for the appropriate support. You are absolutely right that mental health goes up and down and so if you find yourself needing some additional support please don't hesitate to reach out and we can help point you in the right direction.

You've got this. <3
  • Options
    @BensonE Thank you so much for sharing your trauma story. It is truly so brave of you.

I think this will really help people who have faced similar situations to not feel so alone. Your words are very powerful/impactful and hearing how courageous you are is so inspiring.

Well done for taking the initiate to reach out for the appropriate support. You are absolutely right that mental health goes up and down and so if you find yourself needing some additional support please don't hesitate to reach out and we can help point you in the right direction.

You've got this. <3

@ameliaJayne I've lived with this for soo long now it's just became part of normal life don't make it any easier but I am able to manage
  • Options
    Orchid059Orchid059 Moderator Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Hi @BensonE I am glad to hear you have been in contact with a professional counsellor- did you receive a positive experience compared to last time?

It sounds so difficult what you have experienced and from what I am hearing it sounds like you are carrying a lot of guilt on your shoulders which is never a nice feeling. Remember to be kind to yourself and try not to get wrapped into too many 'what ifs' because that often leads to negative self talk/

Keep reaching out and remember you are never alone <3
  • Options
    Orchid059 wrote: »
    Hi @BensonE I am glad to hear you have been in contact with a professional counsellor- did you receive a positive experience compared to last time?

It sounds so difficult what you have experienced and from what I am hearing it sounds like you are carrying a lot of guilt on your shoulders which is never a nice feeling. Remember to be kind to yourself and try not to get wrapped into too many 'what ifs' because that often leads to negative self talk/

Keep reaching out and remember you are never alone <3

I know orchid