Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to keep well when looking for work?

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,304 Wise Owl
edited April 19 in Health & Wellbeing
I just want to feel a bit better when I'm struggling because I'm not sorted yet with some work. As I have said in my posts here, it's stressful looking for work and multiple different emotions. Rejections can be hard, then not hearing back from companies and all that. It all makes me worry a lot that I won't get sorted and worries about my future. I have had the odd not where i cried in bed like im in bed just upset and a few tears just come out because Im just not happy about not being sorted yet and I just feel behind other people. It's probably just the uncertainty just not knowing when I'll get sorted. People going on about it too and its boring at home too. A big thing is just not having an income too because I want build some savings, I want to do stuff or buy stuff but until I have a proper income. I just really want to get sorted soon. It's just tough and I lose sleep and sometimes instead of sleeping I just apply to jobs. I'm not even getting interviews yet too. It can be disappointing applying to more jobs and putting some effort in but not getting much from them too. I just want to see how to maybe feel a bit better like positive less down etc in the process of getting into work.
Post edited by FordRanger on

Comments

• Options
    ellaella Community Manager Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    edited April 19
    @FordRanger that sounds incredibly tough and I am here to validate every single emotion you have described- I have been through a similar situation so can really empathise with how you're feeling.

It's completely understandable to feel stressed, frustrated, and even tearful when the job search is taking longer than expected. Rejection is one of the hardest emotions to process and you're right, the financial worries just add another layer of pressure and panic. Before we go into this further, I just want to say that this will pass and soon enough, something will come up even if it feels so far away right now <3

I am hearing that the uncertainty of it all is be the worst part for you which is really valid. I am wondering if there are some self care processes we can put in place whilst you're going through this application process? Here are some things I can think of:

Acknowledge your wins: It's easy to focus on rejections, but celebrate the small victories too. Did you write a great cover letter that you're really proud of? Did you spend the day searching for jobs and shortlisting some applications? These are all steps in the right direction.

Focus on what you can control: Unfortunately, although it can be painful, you can't control rejection or how long this process takes. However, you can control how you approach your job search. Set realistic goals for applications, update your CV and cover letter for each application, and practice your interview skills with another person you trust so you can get some feedback.

Limit the job search noise: Take breaks from searching for jobs if you are burning out. Dedicate a set amount of time each day / every other day to look for jobs and then focus on the things you enjoy outside of the job hunt. Maybe a hobby, some exercise, getting outside etc.

Finally, are you comfortable sharing what kind of role you are looking for? There are often tailored job search websites depending on the type of work you are looking for.
    For example, people looking to enter the charity sector often use CharityJob.com to find roles.
    I would be happy to signpost you to some websites if you would like to share more :)

Please remember you are not alone, @FordRanger. Keep reaching out and we are all sending big hugs and good luck wishes in the meantime! <3
  • Options
    ella wrote: »
    @FordRanger that sounds incredibly tough and I am here to validate every single emotion you have described- I have been through a similar situation so can really empathise with how you're feeling.

It's completely understandable to feel stressed, frustrated, and even tearful when the job search is taking longer than expected. Rejection is one of the hardest emotions to process and you're right, the financial worries just add another layer of pressure and panic. Before we go into this further, I just want to say that this will pass and soon enough, something will come up even if it feels so far away right now <3

I am hearing that the uncertainty of it all is be the worst part for you which is really valid. I am wondering if there are some self care processes we can put in place whilst you're going through this application process? Here are some things I can think of:

Acknowledge your wins: It's easy to focus on rejections, but celebrate the small victories too. Did you write a great cover letter that you're really proud of? Did you spend the day searching for jobs and shortlisting some applications? These are all steps in the right direction.

Focus on what you can control: Unfortunately, although it can be painful, you can't control rejection or how long this process takes. However, you can control how you approach your job search. Set realistic goals for applications, update your CV and cover letter for each application, and practice your interview skills with another person you trust so you can get some feedback.

Limit the job search noise: Take breaks from searching for jobs if you are burning out. Dedicate a set amount of time each day / every other day to look for jobs and then focus on the things you enjoy outside of the job hunt. Maybe a hobby, some exercise, getting outside etc.

Finally, are you comfortable sharing what kind of role you are looking for? There are often tailored job search websites depending on the type of work you are looking for.
    For example, people looking to enter the charity sector often use CharityJob.com to find roles.
    I would be happy to signpost you to some websites if you would like to share more :)

Please remember you are not alone, @FordRanger. Keep reaching out and we are all sending big hugs and good luck wishes in the meantime! <3

@ella thanks pa lot for all this, very detailed response and all great information. I'm looking for simple type jobs like delivery driver type jobs, not something that would overload me with items to do though, something like a pharmacy delivery job would be ideal delivering medicines, get a small van, I probably would be developing social skills to doing that, I'm also looking at maybe retail jobs too which is something I wasn't really keen on doing at some point but it's money and doesn't have to be forever. Maybe other simple jobs.

I will keep reaching out, I feel confortable coming here for support and I really appreciate all the support I have been getting like it means so much. It would be harder without this community.
  • Options
    ellaella Community Manager Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    edited April 19
    @FordRanger You are always welcome here and are super proud of how far you have come <3

Those jobs all sounds like great options and I would say it might be worth being super specific with where you search, just to really refine your options. I just did a quick search and here are a few options I found:
    Drivery Driver Jobs:

Supermarket delivery job pages: Tesco, Sainsburys, Ocado, Asda, Morrisons

Boots: I can see that they have a specific delivery service job page for their pharmacies LINK HERE

+Well also have a lot of driver jobs available, I just put "Driver" or "Delivery" into the search bar- LINK HERE

---

Retail Jobs

In terms of Retail, there are lots of ways you could go about finding a job. Again, it is good to be super specific, maybe its a case of thinking of a few places you would like to work and going directly to their careers page?
    For example, I really wanted to work at Doc Martens for a while so I would visit their specific job page LINK HERE

Charity Jobs have some retail jobs in charity shops or warehouses too, if that's something you might be interested in. Just type in "retail" into the search bar. Again, you could also go directly to certain charity websites to find these types of jobs too.

The "find a job" page on the GOV website is also really handy for retail jobs - LINK HERE

It may also be worth handing your CV in, in person. If you have a local shopping district, this could be a good place to start.

Hope this is helpful to get you started! Good luck and let us know how you get on <3
  • Options
    ella wrote: »
    @FordRanger You are always welcome here and are super proud of how far you have come <3

Those jobs all sounds like great options and I would say it might be worth being super specific with where you search, just to really refine your options. I just did a quick search and here are a few options I found:
    Drivery Driver Jobs:

Supermarket delivery job pages: Tesco, Sainsburys, Ocado, Asda, Morrisons

Boots: I can see that they have a specific delivery service job page for their pharmacies LINK HERE

+Well also have a lot of driver jobs available, I just put "Driver" or "Delivery" into the search bar- LINK HERE

---

Retail Jobs

In terms of Retail, there are lots of ways you could go about finding a job. Again, it is good to be super specific, maybe its a case of thinking of a few places you would like to work and going directly to their careers page?
    For example, I really wanted to work at Doc Martens for a while so I would visit their specific job page LINK HERE

Charity Jobs have some retail jobs in charity shops or warehouses too, if that's something you might be interested in. Just type in "retail" into the search bar. Again, you could also go directly to certain charity websites to find these types of jobs too.

The "find a job" page on the GOV website is also really handy for retail jobs - LINK HERE

It may also be worth handing your CV in, in person. If you have a local shopping district, this could be a good place to start.

Hope this is helpful to get you started! Good luck and let us know how you get on <3

@ella I have applied to some of them you have mentioned but some have rejected tbh, I won't say which companies and which haven't or whatever buy yh. They are good ideas, some of them I haven't applied for as they arent looking for employers in my area. Also its about finding the right company who will treat me well, have the right hours etc. I'm trying to not be too picky at the same time. Ideally something like the pharmacy delivery job or similar that won't give me too many drops to do, that would be ideal but I've been trying to widen up roles to look at to give more options and I could always look at other stuff after. Thanks a lot again and I will keep you all updated.